Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 03:03 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think you are looking way too deep. You are not friends with those people. Why would she invite you? You're being really possessive like when she is in town she has to include you in everything she does.
Agree. Must be an exhausting way to go through life...always seeing or searching for deliberate snubs/ulterior motives in everything others do. The truth is, we just aren't that important to most of the people we casually know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 03:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Based on your many threads, I think your perceptions about people are "off" a lot of times. For example, why were you the one to file the missing person's report and not her husband? Why did you think that was your place?
If you must know, it was because she had left her husband and rented an apartment. The way I found out she was missing, is her husband came to visit me to tell me - and he told me this very bizarre story about someone he said had been stalking her. I advised him to file a missing person's report, but for some reason he wanted me to do it - we had been business partners, and I thought best friends. I drove by her apartment, and it was completely vacant - and, as I said, we were friends and had been in touch, so it was shocking and I was worried.

Is that sufficient or is there something else you would like to know?

Old 12-15-2019, 03:29 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
"For some reason...."

Most normal people would know the reason. Or would ask the reason.

That's what I mean.

In that statement, and others like it, you reveal how very little you understand the motivations and emotions of others.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:41 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I wrote about the crude, opportunistic friend in another post . . . which made me think of this friend.

This is also someone I used to work with many moons ago. I got an ornament in the mail from her yesterday with a card. My dog died recently. It was a very nice gesture and I messaged her to thank her.

I haven't been encouraging this friend for a few years because of a couple of incidents.

She lives kind of far away from me, but has a vacation home near me. Whenever she would come to stay in the house, she would notify me - until she didn't. One time, I saw a posting on FB on a holiday - she was at a restaurant I had told her I was dying to go to - and she was with other friends I have met. I didn't get an invite, and was hurt. There was another holiday and a similar incident (she went to see fireworks with these other friends and I heard about it later).

I am a very emotional person and she is not. She brought that up one time - that she has a hard time talking about personal/emotional stuff. To me, that is what friendship is all about.

I don't want to say "I don't want to be friends with you because you are unemotional and you and your other friends went places I would have liked to have been invited to go." It just seems dumb and petty and the part about her being unemotional seems judgmental.

So I have withdrawn any energy from her - but now, she has reached out to me again through this ornament, and I "should" invite her to come visit me, but I don't feel I can be 100% myself around her and I don't trust her to not exclude me again. I realize in writing this how childish it sounds!!!
I can't be 100% myself around my best friend because I am very emotional and she isn't, but it doesn't matter to go out to dinner. Do you have to include a bunch of emotional stuff to enjoy dinner? I don't get it.

There is no need to trust her not to include you again. You are not a part of that group. She isn't doing anything wrong by not including you.

That is an odd grudge to hold. And you're harming yourself. She sounds like a GOOD friend to me. She isn't holding a grudge that you didn't go see her when she had cancer. She sent you a kind and thoughtful gift showing her feelings for you and your loss. She wants to go on that trip with you.

Just go or at least invite her to dinner!

Old 12-15-2019, 03:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Thank you. I only met her other friends once in real life (am FB friends with one of them). It was at her vacation house - the other two people there were sisters and heavy, heavy drinkers. It's possible they might not like me - probably more likely is that my friend is different with them than she is with me (more partying with them).

I also think she deliberately snubbed me as kind of a passive-aggressive way of dealing with some feelings she might not have been able to express directly.
You are seriously reading way too much into her actions. I have an ex friend who acted very similar to what you’re posting. She’s an ex friend because she kept thinking the worst of all my actions, to the point of texting me a very nasty message because she felt she wasn’t invited to an event she thought I put together. She did this constantly and it was tiresome. This sounds exactly what you are doing.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You are seriously reading way too much into her actions. I have an ex friend who acted very similar to what you’re posting. She’s an ex friend because she kept thinking the worst of all my actions, to the point of texting me a very nasty message because she felt she wasn’t invited to an event she thought I put together. She did this constantly and it was tiresome. This sounds exactly what you are doing.
This kind of thing sounds high maintenance and exhausting.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This kind of thing sounds high maintenance and exhausting.
Funny how people project their own issues onto others . . . the thing is I never said a word to her. She has no clue I was hurt over this.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Another person projecting. I never said anything at all to her about it.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I can't be 100% myself around my best friend because I am very emotional and she isn't, but it doesn't matter to go out to dinner. Do you have to include a bunch of emotional stuff to enjoy dinner? I don't get it.

There is no need to trust her not to include you again. You are not a part of that group. She isn't doing anything wrong by not including you.

That is an odd grudge to hold. And you're harming yourself. She sounds like a GOOD friend to me. She isn't holding a grudge that you didn't go see her when she had cancer. She sent you a kind and thoughtful gift showing her feelings for you and your loss. She wants to go on that trip with you.

Just go or at least invite her to dinner!
The "emotional" thing is just being authentic about what's going on in your life, not breaking out in tears at dinner.

I don't think she and I have much in common.

She is a nice person and the gift was very thoughtful. It just got me thinking, but I doubt I will reach out to her at this point. Just no energy to really pursue anything.

I'm not "holding a grudge" - it's different: I just lost some trust. It isn't a big deal. I thought she was one kind of friend and she was another kind and I wasn't the best friend to her either, so we're even.

It has been helpful to me to process this, so I thank everyone for responses.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Funny how people project their own issues onto others . . . the thing is I never said a word to her. She has no clue I was hurt over this.
How am I projecting anything? I'm responding to what she said she went through with her friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships