Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 05:50 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,305 times

Advertisements

My mom and bf haven't had the best relationship in the past. He had issues with her. Then again, my mom is prone to arguing with others so it's not new. Some people don't get along with her.

Recently I've been angry about several things; my parents' constant arguments and dysfunctional marriage, my mom lying in her promise ''I'm gonna start to like him (my bf)'' just because I was recovering from a surgery and things in the past.

My bf was previously hurt by my mother's awful treatment in the past but I elaborated the version and added things never said. I made her believe:
- Him saying: I only have your mom on my fb because of you, otherwise I hate her.
- That he really wanted to call her the b word and has said it to me.
- That he would be happy if she got excluded in our wedding.

At the moment the goal was to successfully have him all to myself if we get married (only have my grandma included, whom always liked him), expose her dislike towards him and her fake promise/truce and basically add more fuel to the fire. It was basically a ''screw it all, you don't have to fake it anymore and I don't care if you're not in my wedding, don't even come'' moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 06:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
My mom and bf haven't had the best relationship in the past. He had issues with her. Then again, my mom is prone to arguing with others so it's not new. Some people don't get along with her.

Recently I've been angry about several things; my parents' constant arguments and dysfunctional marriage, my mom lying in her promise ''I'm gonna start to like him (my bf)'' just because I was recovering from a surgery and things in the past.

My bf was previously hurt by my mother's awful treatment in the past but I elaborated the version and added things never said. I made her believe:
- Him saying: I only have your mom on my fb because of you, otherwise I hate her.

At the moment the goal was to successfully have him all to myself if we get married (only have my grandma included, whom always liked him), expose her dislike towards him and her fake promise/truce and basically add more fuel to the fire. It was basically a ''screw it all, you don't have to fake it anymore and I don't care if you're not in my wedding, don't even come'' moment.
You’re doing the same things you say you hate about your mom.

It’s bad.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:52 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
It's worse than bad. It's twisted.

Look, I lived with someone who lies frequently, then staunchly denies it when you expose the lie and wants to argue about it. Sound familiar? I thought, "OK, if you're going to lie to me, I'll lie right back at you." Going down that rabbit hole was not a pleasant experience. You start to lose yourself.

Trust me, your mother and my other are not the people any healthy person wants to emulate.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:13 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:

If those 3 things are not "major"... Then... Yea... I don't know what to say other than you're pretty dysfunctional and you're not helping your situation.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:17 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Why did you even ask if this was bad? Are you really so ethically and morally challenged that you don't know the answer?

Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 AM

It would've been great having a big family united after getting married but that'll never happen. Ironically, my mom was well-liked (even adored and treated as a daughter) by my father's parents when they were alive. I think she used to be different long ago.

Logically if you were treated great by your in-laws when you were young, it makes sense to treat your child's partner good too when you're the future in-law yourself. Oh well. I was too hurt at that moment.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
If those 3 things are not "major"... Then... Yea... I don't know what to say other than you're pretty dysfunctional and you're not helping your situation.
You're right. I'm worsening things between my mom and bf. After all that would be the perfect reason for any mother to hate their child's partner. All I did was reconfirm her stance on him being not good enough, making her dislike him more.

It was a moment where I just wasn't thinking rationally anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Why did you even ask if this was bad? Are you really so ethically and morally challenged that you don't know the answer?
This site is like my 2nd home where I can fully express myself.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
You're right. I'm worsening things between my mom and bf. After all that would be the perfect reason for any mother to hate their child's partner. All I did was reconfirm her stance on him being not good enough, making her dislike him more.

It was a moment where I just wasn't thinking rationally anymore.
This site is like my 2nd home where I can fully express myself.

So it was a rhetorical question, not really needing an answer from the peanut gallery? OK.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:

Ant time you lie to benefit yourself, or to hurt someone else, you are doing a bad thing.

And you are ultimately hurting yourself as well.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:01 AM

18,105 posts, read 15,683,109 times
IMO lying is bad. Specifically bad Karma.

It's one thing to be kind ("Honey that dress doesn't do you justice" vs "Yes you do look FAT in that dress!') but to outright lie about something is morally wrong and unfair.

I've experienced small lies and whopper lies from people and even small lies are a turnoff and introduce distrust. Once that trust is gone, it's gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships