Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:27 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,162 times

Advertisements

I do. I think it's okay if you have one as a destination, but to ask people twice to spend a significant amount of money for you (and sometimes vacation time) to travel twice for you I think is inconsiderate.

For example one friend of mine had his bachelor party in Las Vegas and his wedding in Jamaica. Now another friend of mine, where all his friends and family live in the Midwest (same deal with his wife) is having his wedding in Santa Barbara, California where neither of them is from nor do they really have family or friends there. I was fine with that. But today I just got an invite to his bachelor party and it's going to be in Miami.

It's like come on, I get it's a big event, but I personally would not want any of my friends to spend that much money on me. Especially when the wedding is in May and the Bachelor party in April.

Like with the first friend I didn't go to the Bachelor Party in Las Vegas, won't go to the one in Miami now. Don't want to spend my time and PTO on places I have been to so many times just to get drunk and wasted like I have so many other times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times
I would not have a problem politely but directly declining bachelor parties like that, including a direct statement that you're saving your resources to travel for the wedding itself.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I would not have a problem politely but directly declining bachelor parties like that, including a direct statement that you're saving your resources to travel for the wedding itself.
Of course, I don't think most people would (unless you are a bridezilla or groomzilla) but I dunno I find it inconsiderate to ask people to do destinations for both.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Of course, I don't think most people would (unless you are a bridezilla or groomzilla) but I dunno I find it inconsiderate to ask people to do destinations for both.
I tend to agree. I mean, who has this kind of vacation time/$ these days and why would I (the groom to be) assume they want to spend it on two trips related to my wedding? Kinda presumptuous.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Call me cheap and a bad friend/relative etc. but I'd have no problem declining both if I didn't want to go and/or couldn't afford it.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Depends... if it’s a good freind. I have the time and money to travel and I like new adventures so I would most likely attend. I have a friend who decided to go to Hawaii for her wedding.
I had a great time.. probably a better time than the bride and groom because when I got home.. I was still single. LMAO!

Old 02-11-2019, 02:58 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Anyone can ask people to attend whatever event they want. Doesn't mean they'll GET it.

This is simple. Decline one, both, or neither. Send a nice gift instead or contribute to one. You don't need to dream up complicated excuses for declining. If they insist on being offended that's their problem.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:32 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
It's not inconsiderate if they are doing what they like for their special day.

They must expect many will not attend...for time constraints, money etc.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:40 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
I dont know how you can consider it inconsiderate; its their special day, and they are planning what they want. Its up to you whether you want to go or not. (Ha..almost the same post as greatblueheron).

Old 02-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I dont know how you can consider it inconsiderate; its their special day, and they are planning what they want. Its up to you whether you want to go or not. (Ha..almost the same post as greatblueheron).
I don't disagree...

But I guess it's a matter of what you value when you plan a big life celebration: the trappings of the event itself of how easy it is for the people that mean the most to you to share it with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships