Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 04:34 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times

Advertisements

Things change when people get married. It's normal. Though friends are still important, spouses and then children become higher priority. Also, adults have less time to socialize as their responsibilities increase. It sounds like your friend still values your friendship, but you will probably put it in jeopardy if you speak badly about his wife or insist on more of his time than he has to offer at this point in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 06:36 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Yes. You're reading way too much into it. Nothing takes that many words to explain.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:46 AM

20 posts, read 8,785 times
Yes, you are overthinking it. Get another girlfriend. Maybe she can slap you upside the head on the occasions when you do so.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:33 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryKatsu View Post
Yes, you are overthinking it. Get another girlfriend. Maybe she can slap you upside the head on the occasions when you do so.
^^^This.....(I actually thought the OP was a girl at first...... )

Old 02-08-2020, 08:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
In reading all of these, I don't see the perspective of, what if the sexes were reversed and it was the man keeping the wife from seeing old friends alone once they got married? What would we be saying then?

Old 02-08-2020, 08:37 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
DK, buddy, bring this up with your therapist. She can help you unravel the twisted threads of your annoyance. TBH, I got lost somewhere in the middle. But that doesn't mean I don't care.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:42 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,985,300 times
He needs to "help with girls' night"? Really? Like... what is he going to do?

I disagree with pretty much everyone else here. Yes, people need friendships and social times away from their relationship/significant other. That's normal and healthy. Assuming he's not neglecting things at home-- like he's always going out with his friends and sticking her with the kid and she never gets any time off-- and that him hanging out with his friends doesn't involve going to strip clubs or gambling away their money, there's nothing wrong with him having friendships that don't include her.

Yeah, she's a little clingy. Unfortunately, probably not much you can do about it; he chose her and he's going to have to live with it, unless he or one of her friends are going to try to point out to her that a person can have a life outside of their relationship. Sounds like it's time for you to cultivate new people to hang out with so it doesn't matter if you don't hang out with him.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:52 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

I disagree with pretty much everyone else here. Yes, people need friendships and social times away from their relationship/significant other. That's normal and healthy.
I didn't say I agreed with what's going on in his friend's relationship. I think it's unhealthy, but the OP can't control that situation. He can, however, control his reaction to it.

The guy probably doesn't want to upset his wife. He could stand up for himself if he wanted to.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In reading all of these, I don't see the perspective of, what if the sexes were reversed and it was the man keeping the wife from seeing old friends alone once they got married? What would we be saying then?
If either spouse was keeping the other from doing what they want that would be a problem.

We have no reason to believe that is the case here. Sometimes relationships just wear out.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:16 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
You won't win trying to diss his wife to get your points across.

That's his wife. She comes first.

Maybe try to find someone else to do your boys night thing with and realize that this couple is for couples times only (if he still wants to be friends with you after you insulted his wife).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships