Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 06:56 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Of the people in our world:

1. Co-workers: they want work from you, and income.
2. Significant others, children and sometimes parents: they want financial and other support from you.
3. People at church: they want donations and volunteer hours from you.
4. Others: typically they want something from you- career benefits, money, something.

Even our pets want rubs, walks, food, etc. from us.

How many people are you close to who don't want anything at all from you?

This is the kind of question that sheds more light on the person doing the asking than it actually reveals about human nature. Think of it as a litmus test. In that sense, you tend to think of the world in transactional terms, as in 'I do this, I get this.' That makes for kind of a bleak world, I have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 07:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Nobody wants anything from me. Nobody.

At work, my time and skills are traded for fair wages. It's a transaction I've opted into.

My kids are grown and making a lot of money, married to people who also make a lot of money.

I stopped going to church, but happily supported it when I did. It was something I wanted to do, to give back to that community.

My friends expect nothing but friendship.

When someone needs something that I can help with, and some are strangers who expected nothing from me, I view it as a blessing and feel much gratitude for being in a position to help someone else.

Must suck to be so dour.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:08 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,054,327 times
Back when I was in my late 30's/early 40's, I was a basically unhappy person. I went through a period where I felt like I was a series of labels. I was a mother. I was an employee. I was a daughter. I was a divorcee. But I felt like no one really knew ME. They only knew the label attached to me.

I kind of feel like whatever you're going through OP...is similar to what I was going through then.

I don't feel like that now. I mean...I still have most of those labels...but they are part of who I AM. So what if my boss only knows the employee side of me? It's OK. So what if my children only see me as their mother? (Actually, my kids are grown, of course our relationship has evolved as they've grown and matured, but STILL I am their MOTHER. I am all those labels, and they are all ME. I'm ok with it now.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:52 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,486,753 times
social and personal inter dependency is a healthy way to remain a participant in civilization.

Most of the deliverance to others is not of the monetary or materialistic nature.

Give respect, engage in joy filled times. Be of good will.
Be honest and empathetic.
Direct and fair of mind.

Its the magic of life to be the giver and the taker. Integrated.

Although a relative loved to give grief/ire and expected us to take it!

Old 04-21-2020, 11:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Nobody wants anything from me. Nobody.

At work, my time and skills are traded for fair wages. It's a transaction I've opted into.

My kids are grown and making a lot of money, married to people who also make a lot of money.

I stopped going to church, but happily supported it when I did. It was something I wanted to do, to give back to that community.

My friends expect nothing but friendship.

When someone needs something that I can help with, and some are strangers who expected nothing from me, I view it as a blessing and feel much gratitude for being in a position to help someone else.

Must suck to be so dour.
That's how you do it. Well said.

OP never came back, wonder why.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:23 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,486,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Cuz op didn't want anything from us. Pretty cool how that ties in to the topic

Old 04-21-2020, 12:58 PM

23,403 posts, read 19,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Well, s(he) actually did want something. Just didn't get it.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Incorrect. He didn't like what he heard.

You do realize he asked a question? You know people do that when they want a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, s(he) actually did want something. Just didn't get it.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,594,957 times
Many people hope for unconditional love. Mothers are sometimes able to give unconditional love to their children.

Unconditional love (and even love at all) can be hard to come by at times in life.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Thank you for the kind words, my friend.

Hopefully it's because he's busy filing a lawsuit to get his big loan back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships