Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 12:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,424,826 times

Advertisements

I would donate it all to the food bank and say nothing to your well-meaning family.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:41 PM

91 posts, read 76,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Frankly, if I were the OP, I'd just accept it and use it, whether I "needed" it or not... Is this an ego/pride issue? You don't "need" an excuse to save money. Squirrel away the savings on your grocery bill and treat yourself to a nice vacation with the difference... You've eaten on the cheap *and* made an old woman happy. WIN-WIN.
No, it's a taste issue, we already take nice vacations and my mother-in-law is happy. WIN-WIN-WIN!

Why should we eat bobo food when we don't have to?

Do you eat bobo just because it's free?

Last edited by Don Sutton; 11-03-2020 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-03-2020, 03:45 PM

91 posts, read 76,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
The constant mentioning of "bobo" and "welfare cheese" in this thread is really offputting. We get it you dont want the food but honest to goodness youre incredibly rude and think awfully highly of yourself.
Politically correct terms for food now? LOL!

Rude? Why, because I like what I like and can afford a brand I like? I earned it and I'm not asking anybody to supplement my high end tastes. LOL! I'll eat Bush's beans and Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes until I can no longer afford to. LOL!

BTW, go back and read. I actually like the welfare cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:37 AM

10,138 posts, read 6,519,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sutton View Post
No, it's a taste issue, we already take nice vacations and my mother-in-law is happy. WIN-WIN-WIN!

Why should we eat bobo food when we don't have to?

Do you eat bobo just because it's free?
So, if you're MIL was donating steak and lobster that you didn't really need and could already afford on your own, you'd turn them down, right? It's obviously the quality of the food that's beneath you and not the kind gesture from your MIL that's bothering you. Maybe you should tell her that she needs to upgrade her donations to you.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,040,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sutton View Post
I'll eat Bush's beans and Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes until I can no longer afford to. LOL!.
Wow, some real non-bobo food there.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:11 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,095,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
So, if you're MIL was donating steak and lobster that you didn't really need and could already afford on your own, you'd turn them down, right? It's obviously the quality of the food that's beneath you and not the kind gesture from your MIL that's bothering you. Maybe you should tell her that she needs to upgrade her donations to you.

I don't blame him for liking what he likes. Life is short. So WHAT if bobo (I don't even know what bobo stands for. LOL) is not his cup of tea? People are going to virtue shame him over it? HE doesn't want to eat it, and he doesn't HAVE to eat it.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:18 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 23 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,305,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't blame him for liking what he likes. Life is short. So WHAT if bobo (I don't even know what bobo stands for. LOL) is not his cup of tea? People are going to virtue shame him over it? HE doesn't want to eat it, and he doesn't HAVE to eat it.
He's being condescending about it. Not just that he doesn't like it but it's beneath him. Bobo- trashy, something only poor folks or folks without any class would be caught eating.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:29 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
He's being condescending about it. Not just that he doesn't like it but it's beneath him. Bobo- trashy, something only poor folks or folks without any class would be caught eating.
I think he WOULD turn down lobster and caviar if it were free and offered to him by his MIL; personally, I don't think it's about the food at all. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:42 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,095,120 times
Quote:
(Sigh), I'm not seeing what you all are seeing.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:21 AM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
I think the "bobo" (Lol, we all learned a new word here) is just a sidebar to the point of the story, which is that he doesn't need food of ANY kind but his MIL keeps giving him food (which just so happens to be bobo, lol) as if he does.

It's probably just cultural. People who grew up without enough food aren't always terribly picky about quality, and she's likely not even thinking the food is bobo--she just takes free food that is offered and gives it to her family thinking she is doing a good thing.

When my daughter went to university in Chengdu for a semester, that was something she noticed. ALL the boxed and packaged food in the store near her school was past its expiration date. The local Chinese didn't care. It was food, and it was available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships