Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 09:26 AM

5,470 posts, read 4,113,278 times

Advertisements

I volunteer at a food shelf, and we can definitely have an over-abundance of certain foods at certain times, like bread products or produce. The excess doesn't get wasted, though, as we have a farmer who picks up the leftovers. So it's not necessarily "taking it out of the mouths of hungry people."

Old 10-31-2020, 09:56 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,673,908 times
Its a combination of things, we still have last of people that went through the lean times from Great Depression and WWII. Though getting few in number. The post war years werent that abundant for many. More of those still around. So for them food, any edible food, is not something to waste.

Seriously hard to understand food banks having trouble getting rid of produce. If I were in need and going to food bank, tell them to keep the popular generic mac and cheese and Hostess HoHo's, both with little nutrition. I will take the raw produce nobody else wants. But be aware lot of people growing up poor in 21st century are pretty clueless cooking with staples and basically only know heat and serve in microwave. They have been trained in many ways to eat prepared fast food and ready to eat sugary starchy stuff from store. And some dont have a functional kitchen, though if I live somewhere I can have an outdoor camp fire, I can cook with that just fine. Not convenient to do daily, but works. Most urban/suburban people cant unless its socially acceptable like a patio grill. I could live with that.

Its true anybody tossing edible food has never truly been hungry. Very marginal food tastes better than nothing. Though I remember back in days of govt commodities, neighbor gave me some dry pinto beans, said his family didnt like them or time it took to cook them. Those had to be absolutely ancient. Still hard after 3 hour cooking on stove top. I didnt have a pressure cooker at the time so tossed them. So yea if that was example of govt commodities handed out I wouldnt been very impressed either. Sure they werent all like that, but after one bad experience, most people dont bend over and ask for another.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:18 AM

3,102 posts, read 2,091,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Seriously hard to understand food banks having trouble getting rid of produce. If I were in need and going to food bank, tell them to keep the popular generic mac and cheese and Hostess HoHo's, both with little nutrition. I will take the raw produce nobody else wants.
This summer I donated my extra garden tomatoes weekly to the local food pantry (overplanted due to covid haha) and they were always very happy to get them. Not all food pantries can deal with fresh food due to lack of storage but I found out their hand-out day and delivered the day of or a day before because they put individual amounts in a baggie.

Most food pantries get cheap and expired or close to expired food as donations, not much canned meat for example. So they need to move stuff out and hate to throw it away as much as we do.
Another pantry tried to give me near expired bread when I dropped canned goods, I declined because we rarely eat bread and are picky about food due to allergies. They are good people trying to help.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:20 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,012,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sutton View Post
While my wife was sleeping this morning, I boxed up the packaged/canned goods and left them at the church that gives away food on Tuesdays.

I gave my parents the 2% milk because they like it. It is dated 11/11.

I took pictures to prove to my wife I didn't throw it away.
That sounds like a good solution to me

Old 10-31-2020, 10:22 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Its a combination of things, we still have last of people that went through the lean times from Great Depression and WWII. Though getting few in number. The post war years werent that abundant for many. More of those still around. So for them food, any edible food, is not something to waste.

Seriously hard to understand food banks having trouble getting rid of produce. If I were in need and going to food bank, tell them to keep the popular generic mac and cheese and Hostess HoHo's, both with little nutrition. I will take the raw produce nobody else wants. But be aware lot of people growing up poor in 21st century are pretty clueless cooking with staples and basically only know heat and serve in microwave. They have been trained in many ways to eat prepared fast food and ready to eat sugary starchy stuff from store. And some dont have a functional kitchen, though if I live somewhere I can have an outdoor camp fire, I can cook with that just fine. Not convenient to do daily, but works. Most urban/suburban people cant unless its socially acceptable like a patio grill. I could live with that.

Its true anybody tossing edible food has never truly been hungry. Very marginal food tastes better than nothing. Though I remember back in days of govt commodities, neighbor gave me some dry pinto beans, said his family didnt like them or time it took to cook them. Those had to be absolutely ancient. Still hard after 3 hour cooking on stove top. I didnt have a pressure cooker at the time so tossed them. So yea if that was example of govt commodities handed out I wouldnt been very impressed either. Sure they werent all like that, but after one bad experience, most people dont bend over and ask for another.
3 hours to cook pinto beans on the stove is not enough time

I do mine in the crock pot. Now if I ever make them on my gas stove, I will bring them to a boil and then turn it off for about a half hour, turn it back on til boiling again, then off etc. . Takes a while, but since i have nothing else to do - I don't have the stove heating up the kitchen all day. And they come out great. But crockpot is the best.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:30 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
This summer I donated my extra garden tomatoes weekly to the local food pantry (overplanted due to covid haha) and they were always very happy to get them. Not all food pantries can deal with fresh food due to lack of storage but I found out their hand-out day and delivered the day of or a day before because they put individual amounts in a baggie.

Most food pantries get cheap and expired or close to expired food as donations, not much canned meat for example. So they need to move stuff out and hate to throw it away as much as we do.
Another pantry tried to give me near expired bread when I dropped canned goods, I declined because we rarely eat bread and are picky about food due to allergies. They are good people trying to help.
We have on ministry that sets up a table every day to give out breads etc

I also dropped off squash, cucumbers and zucchini there during the summer.

My tomatoes bombed this summer so didn't have extra.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,064,148 times
The OP knows the financial, health and personal situations of everyone in his area? Enough to have contempt for them? That’s quite a gift.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:45 AM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
It's not what I 'think,' it's what I see. My eyes aren't lying.

And most (not all) of them are only 'less fortunate' because of the poor life choices they have made.

The food should be going to the people who truly need it. Obviously some of the homeless don't need it if they're throwing it all over the streets.
I am of the mind that people should be fed even if they made "poor life choices". It's not about them. It's about what kind of people we are that we have so much food that we throw it away every day by the tons but would withhold it from someone else because we don't approve of their choices or judge them for their mistakes.

That sucks that the homeless are throwing away food that was given to them, but your supermarket and your favorite restaurants do the same thing every single day.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:55 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,321,344 times
Quote:
I'd rather take it to a church, I'm not a big fan of the homeless. Plus, I doubt the homeless have what's needed to make boxed scalloped potatoes.
Don’t donate to a food pantry or church’s pantry anything with expired dates. The items will be thrown out. They can’t be given out.

(Actually, sometimes, the items unofficially find people who want them, but they are not allowed to be given out.)

Old 10-31-2020, 11:25 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,673,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
3 hours to cook pinto beans on the stove is not enough time

I do mine in the crock pot. Now if I ever make them on my gas stove, I will bring them to a boil and then turn it off for about a half hour, turn it back on til boiling again, then off etc. . Takes a while, but since i have nothing else to do - I don't have the stove heating up the kitchen all day. And they come out great. But crockpot is the best.

LOL, used to cook them lot in years past. At most an hour and half on stovetop at steady simmer. When they are soft, they are edible. 3hr should turned them into pure mush, they were still HARD. In pressure cooker take around 45minutes. Crockpot IMHO gives stuff bit of an off taste, much prefer pressure cooker. But sure everybody has their preferences. And to be fair probably pretty easy to get a used crockpot cheap in thrift store and not as big of a learning curve as pressure cooker.

If you want quick cooking times, the smaller beans cook much faster. OLD beans take much longer cooking times than fresh crop. These IMHO were ancient, probably left over from WWII or something in some govt warehouse.

And no I didnt try soaking them over night. That would probably made them cook closer to normal. Though as old and petrified as they must have been, not sure how easily they would soak up water.

Expecting poor people to cook something in excess of 3hr seems well beyond reasonable. Now personally I highly recommend thrift store stove top pressure cooker. But again there is a learning curve if you didnt grow up around one and doubt most younger people have any experience except maybe with the instapot electronic kind. Not as high pressure or as quick cooking times. And lot more fragile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships