Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 AM

293 posts, read 191,143 times

Advertisements

(I am 27, FSIL is 35)

So just to preface, I LOVE my future SIL (let's call her Alice). We are both marrying into the family. Alice and 'Zach' just got engaged a little over a month ago, while my SO and I just got engaged Christmas Eve

Alice is super nice and sweet and we have always had a good relationship. So since Alice got engaged, she has been asking me my ideas for when my SO and I want to get married (May 14, 2022), while she told me that they want October 2021.

If COVID is still a factor, Alice let me know that she is now worried that we might have conflicting dates and the latest date her and Zach will get married in June 2022, and that will pose an issue with my decision of having a May 2022 wedding.

Alice said (understandably) that since she's older, her biological clock is ticking with kids and they need to think of that. Of course, I totally get that.

But it seems like every time Zach and Alice talk with my SO and I, they bring up wedding dates/time and even my lax SO has noticed and is like 'um it's not going to be an issue, why do they keep pushing this topic'.

Like I got a text from her last night, asking if we can talk wedding planning. So I said sure, cause nobody else in my life is wedding planning and it would be nice to talk about it. After I fell asleep in the middle of the conversation, I woke up to a text from her saying, 'Honestly I think we are looking at potentially June 4th 2022 for our wedding....'

Clearly insinuating that our dates are gonna be a problem and I need to change my plans until after she get married.

I really don't want to just continue to put my wedding planning on hold while her and Zach get everything situated (they are getting married in her parents' backyard, and her parents aren't letting her book/plan anything until COVID is controlled). I feel as though if I were to concede, then I basically just have to wait until Zach and Alice get everything situated, and then my fiancé and me can start planning.

So, what do/can I do? I hope I don't sound like I am being a bridezilla right now, but I don't want to just put a pause on planning. I, in my personal opinion, don't think they get an 8-month period where they get to block it off and I can't getting married during that time frame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 04:52 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,415,072 times
You’re getting married on May 14th. She’s getting married on June 4th. What’s the conflict?

Old 01-08-2021, 05:34 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,482,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
You’re getting married on May 14th. She’s getting married on June 4th. What’s the conflict?
My question as well.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:50 AM

293 posts, read 191,143 times
Sorry, I should have specified that one of their brothers lives and dances in Europe, so he is building his contracts around when we get married. We don't want him to lose out on money by basically not signing any contracts for almost 2 months (especially since his industry has been hit hard by covid); As well as him not having to decide whether to stay in the States for the entire month or go back-and-forth between the States and Europe for both weddings

Old 01-08-2021, 06:09 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,542,948 times
So she gets married May 7th and you get married May 14th. That should work out perfectly for the brother.

What's the problem?

Old 01-08-2021, 06:48 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times
She’s changing her date and asking you to accommodate her. It doesn’t matter she is older. This is her problem. She can change her date closer to yours to accommodate the brother. She could get married earlier in a small wedding. She good push her date later if she is concerned about it.

The fact she is pushing this on you is extraordinary selfish.

Tell her your wedding date is set, period. Then brainstorm with her what would be best for her date. Getting married earlier? Closer to you? Pushing hers? Whatever it is. Your isn’t changing

Old 01-08-2021, 07:11 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,018,745 times
Double wedding problem solved.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:30 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,045,482 times
It seems like a May and June wedding would be perfect, if everyone is trying to accommodate the brother in Europe. He comes, and he stays until both weddings are over. Kind of seems perfect, to me.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:32 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,981,247 times
Sometimes you just have to adjust to the circumstances. If the sister-in-law is worried about her biological clock she can get married in the mom's backyard and adhere to the restrictions at that time and that includes the reality that the brother in Europe might not be able to attend. It's all about priorities. If starting a family is her priority everything else is secondary.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:41 AM

6,833 posts, read 11,573,384 times
If SIL is so worried about her biological clock, tell her to get pregnant now and get married when it’s convenient. It’s done all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships