Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:48 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

I also feel like if you really dont think 7 mil is a lot when someone else inherits it then you should probably just keep your mouth shut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 10:56 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Here is what your friend said. " "That doesn't sound like a lot of money to me, not any more."

That's an intriguing comment. Coulda shoulda followed up on that, but eh, you were gobsmacked. WHY you were gobsmacked, I don't quite understand. Your friend is an affluent person living in an affluent area. It's not a big shock that she might be out of touch with the reality of average income (or low income) Americans. Pretty sure career congressmen are in the same boat.
I live in that area, not Marin but way across the bay. And about a year and a half or so ago, they were talking about housing prices which are always high here and nothing ever seems to stop them going up until it does. And they interviewed one woman who caused a bit of a kerfuffle over somewhat of a similar kind of remark.

She said that she and her husband earn almost $500,000 a year and are living paycheck to paycheck because it’s just so difficult, between all the things they’re expected to do and have.

And that says a lot because that truly is the typical “keeping up with the Joneses” attitude that screws people over. How could you not have everything you want with plenty of leftover to save on almost $500,000 a year? And yet, they are living paycheck to paycheck. Because that’s what a lot of people do. If they have X coming in they find a way to make ex go out. So they can struggle. Because that’s what they’re used to doing.

And back to the OP? The next question to my friend would’ve been what’s going on in your life. Because that sounded like the opening of somebody going to tell you about something she needs to tell somebody. Instead this woman got indignant and came on here to post about it so several pages later we’re all talking about it.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I also feel like if you really dont think 7 mil is a lot when someone else inherits it then you should probably just keep your mouth shut.

In that case you should have kept your mouth shut. You gossiped about someone else.The person you gossiped to gave her opinion. It is you who were in the wrong.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
I mean if I lived in Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara, or Miami, no 7 million wouldn't seem like much at all. If I lived in Edgefield or Abbeville, SC, then 7 million would seem like fortune. It's all about perspective. Not something I would waste a minute of my life over.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
It seems you are offended by your friend's upmanship comment with respect to worldliness. You could have simply stated, "for some people, it can be life changing and I am so happy for my friend." Why debate something so immaterial? Redirect the conversation to a more positive affirmation.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:01 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm not sure the point of this post..
Maybe a round-about way of seeing what other people would do with 7 million.

I'd trade my condo for one with indoor laundry! The dryer has rusted out.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:09 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Or we could get off our high horse and stop judging her.

She’s clear associating with the kind of people she has removed herself from (evidence is the moves). Not really on us to judge her feelings on affluence. Look at this pragmatically.

She doesn’t like rich people don’t associate with them (where it makes sense of course, sometimes you just have to). I don’t like communities of high crime, homelessness and drug dealing so I avoid those placed and people engaging in those activities.

This is no different. Just the other side of the coin. You may not agree with it. It’s entirely personal. But hopefully you get my logic now.
She removed herself from what? Her wealth? Did she give all her money away and take a vow of poverty?

She may have moved from CA but she’s still wealthy.. she now likes to rub elbows with factory workers and minimum wage earners to show how ‘sensitive she is to their ‘plight’. That’s the high horse she’s sitting on... she likes to think she’s a convert, but until she actually lives like those she’s surrounding herself with, she’s a fake.

I’m judging her and you’re judging the friend... does that make your judgment more acceptable than mine?

And I still say she knew what she was doing when she was bragging about her friend’s 7 million.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:13 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
In that case you should have kept your mouth shut. You gossiped about someone else.The person you gossiped to gave her opinion. It is you who were in the wrong.
Couldn’t agree more!! There was no need to gossip about one friend to another... that’s just tacky af.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:17 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes, you gossip! On the other hand want to know how to get on public assistance if whatever you are doing is not working out. ???

Old 03-17-2021, 06:32 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlwthprl View Post

The other day Marin friend and I were talking on the phone and I shared that another friend of mine had just inherited 7 million dollars. Marin friend says, "That doesn't sound like a lot of money to me, not any more." I didn't say anything but I have an urge to call her out. She's never left CA and my dh and I have lived all over the US, having seen a LOT. What would you do? These people who live in bubbles!!
For math grad students at Berkeley or Stanford, AP Calculus is very easy math. At the Metroflex Gym, a 250 pound bench press is on the weak side.

You are not respecting your friends perspective. In the reality of Marin County $7M is no big deal. In Belvedere the median home price is $4.2M and in Ross it is $4.0M. In Marin county everyone who bought a home twenty years ago and held it has a net worth over a million. Your friend probably has a couple neighbors with a net worth over 100M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships