Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 05:21 PM

6,941 posts, read 6,869,734 times

Advertisements

OK, so maybe we examine what we think 'defines' someone to be gay then. How do we make a judgement that one person might be gay and another not? How do we look at two men walking together and decide if they are gay or not? Two men sharing an apartment together - are they gay? How do we determine this?

We make judgements about people all the time - not as JUDGEMENTS but just to put them into a box in our category system in our heads. Thats a man, thats a woman - or is it?, he has long hair, he hasn't shaved for a while, maybe he's living on his own, etc etc and so it goes on. It is a way of making sense of what we see in our environment.

Some people are aware of those thoughts which categorize other people which go on in their heads, and some people are totally unaware of those thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 06:45 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
On NPR the other day, there was an author, Marisa Franco, saying that men have a difficult time finding friends because they're so terrified that they may be suspected of being gay. Pretty sad.

Oh what nonsense.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:24 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
LOL. Substitute any media outlet for NPR and your (non-)statement maintains accuracy.
Bingo. It's only "biased" when it doesn't confirm the bias you already had.

Of course there are exceptions; some "sources" are just flat-out bad or fake news, but I won't start naming names here.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:53 PM

52 posts, read 40,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, so maybe we examine what we think 'defines' someone to be gay then. How do we make a judgement that one person might be gay and another not? How do we look at two men walking together and decide if they are gay or not? Two men sharing an apartment together - are they gay? How do we determine this?
In some cases, when the word "gay" is used it is meant as a synonym for "effeminate". Many people have a very narrow, binary view of gender (and I mean "gender" in the social sense, not the biological one). Men are masculine, women are feminine. The two are wholly separate and diametrically opposed. While I don't doubt that men and women do have natural differences, I think these differences are often overemphasized for sociological reasons. Men have a certain role they have to play in order to reproduce and be useful to society, so we expect them to conform to social standards that they otherwise might not. Masculinity isn't something a man is simply born with -- it's something he has to "earn" and prove constantly with his actions, lest his man-card is revoked.

This is why we look at a man who wears skinny jeans, or has a slightly higher-pitched voice, or listens to Taylor Swift, and assume he's gay -- even though none of those things has anything to do with who he finds sexually attractive.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:26 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
On NPR the other day, there was an author, Marisa Franco, saying that men have a difficult time finding friends because they're so terrified that they may be suspected of being gay. Pretty sad.
Sounds like just another made-up problem Millennials and Gen Zedders have that us Boomers didn't have.

I have a male friend that I've known since 1981 who is the godfather of my elder son and we just recently went on vacation as two couples. Oh my gosh -- we were two male-female couples! -- in case anyone is suspicious!

Old 08-02-2022, 07:49 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Nonsense.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:54 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
1. That is ONE sentence in an article about the zillions of other ways wherein men and women struggle to make friends as adults. Almost impressive how you could miss the entire point so easily.

2. Guys "not wanting to appear gay" is haaardly a new phenomenon.

But hey, you got 3 pages of responses over a non-topic, so good for you.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Well, I dunno….I dated a guy once who stated he would never go to a movie with another guy because he might be perceived as gay.
That's a bit "over the top" if you asked me. Like... if he had a brother would he not want to go hang out with him at a bar/elsewhere just because someone might think his brother was in a romantic relationship with him?

Old 08-02-2022, 10:59 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
The author needs something ridiculous and provocative to get attention for her book. Everybody has mouths to feed I suppose.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:07 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Funny story, my married brother and his married guy friend were on a road trip with their respective teen daughters for some dad-daughter bonding. One night the girls were up in their room and my bro and his friend went to dinner in the hotel. They got to talking with the server and mentioned they wanted to order something to go for "our daughters." The waiter made assumptions and was just delighted with these progressive gay dads and bought them dessert. Bro and friend were tickled by it and just went with it. Just another couple of rich white Republicans from Texas with no issues about gay people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships