Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 03:19 PM

350 posts, read 229,819 times

Advertisements

I agree that all of the "shoulds" from people you didn't ask for their two cents can be very annoying! Some can get quite demanding with their "expert" advice too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 03:22 PM

350 posts, read 229,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yeah it's annoying. I don't know if my tolerance for it has dropped, or if people are just getting more annoying with it.

It's even more annoying when they don't see how annoying they are. I mean, the type that can dish it out, but can't take it. I know someone like that. Not a close friend just an occasional acquaintance, so I can let it slide without too much stress.

I have been working on just nodding and hmmhmming when it happens, rather than getting stressed about it, because it is REALLY annoying lol. And, I am watching MYSELF closely because I have a tendency to do it too, when it comes to other people's pets. I get annoyed at myself when I realize I've done it again lol.

I did have to drop a friend recently because of this and one other, years ago, for the same reason. All she ever wanted to do was tell me how to live. Every response to anything I told her about myself was to tell me what I was doing wrong and what I SHOULD be doing or feeling instead. When I protested she said how can she help me if I won't listen? Haha! Did I ever ask for "help"? NO! She's out of my life now much to my relief.
Good for you! I have a friend who is like that! Wants to know in detail about how a doctor's visit went and what I should do , etc. It's beyond annoying since I didn't ask for her help or advice. She's like that with most subjects too because after all she knows best! UGH!

Old 12-14-2022, 03:25 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Oh, have I ever lost my tolerance for unsolicited advice!

The older I get, the less patience I have with irritating people. I also have a much bigger mouth than I used to and boy, do I use it now. And that's when I'm in a good mood.

One good hint I heard was when someone you know starts ranting about something, ask them is they want advice or is this just a rant. No misunderstanding or hurt feelings on either side.Likewise, if you want to rant, let the person you're ranting to know whether you just want to rant or if you're really looking for advice. "Just let me roar but I'm not looking for advice! Thank you!"

Good friends will understand, although you may have to make it plainer to denser folk.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 12-14-2022 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-14-2022, 05:40 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Another irritant...

Don't ever tell me how to do a job I'm already doing. If I need advice I'll ask for it.

Too many people would be better off duct taping their own mouths. I have one relative that has never mowed a lawn in her life, but she'll tell you how to mow, while you're pushing a mower, and while you're pouring out buckets of sweat under the hot sun.

And don't you hate it when someone tells you to "calm down" when you're having an argument? I'd like to punch 'em all right in the nose.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:09 PM

720 posts, read 500,821 times
I actually think you should be the opposite. The world is constantly changing and evolving and you never know where a good piece of advice will come from.

I'd also point out, the older you get, the less patience you have for "surprises". People who seem stubborn and unwilling to question, to change, to grow usually go through life needing a certain amount of sympathy and it's like, I could've saved you a lot of time, money, heartache, if you had just listened.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:01 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Thank you Mother Theresa

Old 12-15-2022, 04:49 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Another irritant...

Don't ever tell me how to do a job I'm already doing. If I need advice I'll ask for it.

Too many people would be better off duct taping their own mouths. I have one relative that has never mowed a lawn in her life, but she'll tell you how to mow, while you're pushing a mower, and while you're pouring out buckets of sweat under the hot sun.

And don't you hate it when someone tells you to "calm down" when you're having an argument? I'd like to punch 'em all right in the nose.

Thanks for the morning laugh. I agree with every word and feel the same way. lol

Old 12-15-2022, 10:10 AM

2,901 posts, read 992,875 times
One woman whom I have never even met took it upon herself to personal message me on facebook to give me advice about what she thought I shouldn't be doing regarding my business (that I've been successfully running for 3 decades plus.) She had loads of advice as to what I might be doing wrong and said that I should "take it from her" and "learn from her mistakes." The thing is, I'm not doing what she did, I am trying to make money, and I am 54 years old and have a brain in my own head, so yeah, I found the "advice" extremely patronizing and condescending.

Plus, I LIKE wearing my underpants on the outside of my clothing and I'm not going to stop, even if people don't like it. That's the name of my business: Outside Underpants

Old 12-15-2022, 11:08 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm in my early 40s and lately it seems I've gotten very annoyed with unsolicited advice. To be clear I'm not at all saying I know everything, but it seems people like to give their two cents on so much these days and it gets annoying. Is anyone else seeing this or am I just getting old and cranky?
Quite the opposite is valid for me. I have tow tolerance for people intruding in my personal life and wasting my time.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
One woman whom I have never even met took it upon herself to personal message me on facebook to give me advice about what she thought I shouldn't be doing regarding my business (that I've been successfully running for 3 decades plus.) She had loads of advice as to what I might be doing wrong and said that I should "take it from her" and "learn from her mistakes." The thing is, I'm not doing what she did, I am trying to make money, and I am 54 years old and have a brain in my own head, so yeah, I found the "advice" extremely patronizing and condescending.

Plus, I LIKE wearing my underpants on the outside of my clothing and I'm not going to stop, even if people don't like it. That's the name of my business: Outside Underpants

Superhero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships