Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 11:56 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
"Slogging" through four or five e-cards would take no more than 5 minutes or so. That's probably less time than you'd spend on C-D daily anyway.

Oh thank goodness! I was wondering who was in charge of keeping track of my time on city data and how much time it takes me to open and watch animated e-cards that come in my e mail.

Imagine my relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 02:39 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post

I would tell her you feel uncomfortable about your email address being used and hope for the best. If someone told me that I would totally understand.
This. If I didn't want my email used in this manner I would politely inform the sender. Just isn't that difficult. One or two friends have sent me such e-cards for years. It takes as much time to sort through my mail, open and read a physical card as it does to watch an electronic one. Seem to recall receiving physical cards that didn't appeal to my delicate sensibilities either, but the outraged indignation was pretty transitory. As others have already suggested, appreciate the thought and the person. The form their thoughtfulness takes is secondary.

OP, if you prefer flouncing through the holidays getting bent out of shape over an e-card, no one's going to stop you.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-22-2022 at 03:05 PM..

Old 12-22-2022, 03:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Holy Mary Mother of Mercy - I didn't know people even do e-cards anymore!!! Haven't seen on in many years, and I'll admit that I don't miss them. I still do traditional, tangible cards.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:38 PM

595 posts, read 264,700 times
What privilege, to complain about being in someone's thoughts and having friends who want to wish you well.

I haven't sent any kind of card in years, but if I did, and a recipient came back to me complaining or asking me not to send them, I would write them off as boorish, petty, and rude. Part of a social contract with friends is that they aren't ungrateful for one another's kindness. They're also not ungrateful for reminders of one another's presence in their lives.

Bottom line is that they thought enough of you to want to wish you well. You should think enough of them not to be petty and hurtful. Sheesh!

Old 12-23-2022, 04:03 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post

Bottom line is that they thought enough of you to want to wish you well. You should think enough of them not to be petty and hurtful. Sheesh!
I get that part. And I do appreciate someone thinking about us.

But I still don't like them! I could possibly like them a bit better if it was not an entire video to watch. I usually "click to the end" then respond.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Asking what to say to friends who send them……is that not appropriate for the Relationships forum?
Non-Romantic Relationships forum, I would say. Although you might get more - and more interesting - replies on the Retirement forum.

To answer your question, HATE THEM.

See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...mas-cards.html

Old 12-23-2022, 09:44 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Do you respond to everyone who sends a paper Holiday card?
Most people do reciprocate with their own paper card, yes.

According to tradition, anyway.

I would appreciate the thought, however.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:52 PM

16,357 posts, read 8,174,665 times
I don't see what's wrong with this. I've known people who have done e-cards in an effort to be more environmentally friendly. The whole world doesn't need to send paper holiday cards (eco friendly or not) every damn Christmas lol

Old 12-25-2022, 06:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't see what's wrong with this. I've known people who have done e-cards in an effort to be more environmentally friendly. The whole world doesn't need to send paper holiday cards (eco friendly or not) every damn Christmas lol

Well it isn't about wrong or right is it? It's a personal preference. Some of us just don't like them. The reasons as shown in this thread are varied, some don't like their e mail addresses given out without permission, some don't like the time it takes to watch them, or perhaps the animation is bothersome to them, some don't like feeling obligated to click on a link and open something, or whatever, that's all.

Incidentally I've just realized I didn't get the usual from my friend who always sends them. I do always open them and respond with thanks (while feeling vaguely annoyed haha).

However, when she sent me one for my birthday this year she also sent me a gift Jacquie Lawson subscription which I never activated. I guess she decided not to send me any more based on that. I'm not heartbroken.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:17 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
I don't know which is worse -- e cards or e invitations. Get an email that says you have an invitation, click here. Just put the information in the email. Plus clicking on an unknown link in an email is not good practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships