Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 05:45 PM

319 posts, read 201,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateNortherner View Post
I would be so upset if all my children decided not to have children. How horrible. I work with seniors and I know those without children or grandchildren are incredibly sad and regretful as they get older. Hopefully the OP's mother has other children who will have grandchildren and continue the family on.
As a 60-something person married to a 70-something person, the bolded is just crap. There has not been a single second of regret about a decision we made 40 years ago. We've lived in a retirement-oriented community for several years now. There have been a number of seniors (mostly women) who've replied to our "no, we don't have kids" information with a variation of "good for you. First they break your wallet, then they break your heart."

Back to the OP: you are actually leaving your mother hanging out on a limb with your omission of declaration. Just git 'er done.

There are many posts here using words you could easily cobble into a statement that is firm, compassionate toward potential disappointment, but also putting your mother in her place.

I really liked the one stating that your mother will one day die and it will be you and your wife. That is my own mantra. Life moves forward. People mate and commit for a lifetime because the older generation will pass, as has happened in both our families, leaving us the now-oldest generation. Spouse and I are now only for each other. The decades of marriage, both of us putting the other first, has created a bond of absolute support and dedication to one another. None of this "well, I need to coddle Mom until she dies, then I'll start putting Wife first." That might not be the thought of OP, but I've read such a summation on life advice boards. In each instance, the person who asked how to deal with that was told to dump the person enmeshed with their mother/parents. There is no true partnership when you don't put your mate first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 04:24 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,519,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1991 View Post
Hi there.

I'm a new member but I have been reading for a few months now.

My situation is like this. I've just turned 31 and my wife is 40. We have been married for nearly 4 years and together for 6. My mother has never taken to my wife for a number of reasons. She's not happy with the age gap and she doesn't like my wife for whatever reason. She was hoping we would at least have kids so she would be a grandmother but as my wife is now 40 we have decided against it and this has worsened things with my mother. Everything has now become very complicated for me. I think my mother is hoping it falls apart but I absolutely love my wife and I know nothing will change between us.

Has anyone else had this situation before? And have you got any advice on how to make things better?

Much appreciated.
The age gap is irrelevant if you ask me.
Even if you married a younger woman your mom most likely wouldn't like her. In general mothers in laws don't get well along with their daughters in law.
You married your wife because you love her. Your mother doesn't have to love her. The decision of having children is yours and your wife's only.

Your mother doesn't have a saying on this! I think you should have a talk with her and stand your ground and give her two choices: either she accepts you and your wife and be nice and in this case you would have a relationship with her or bye!

You don't owe her anything.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 560,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It is up to you as a grown-up man and husband to manage your relationship with your mother in a way that supports and honors your wife. How do you intend to do that? This is your responsibility as an ADULT.
How is it his resposibility? Are not his wife and mother also adults??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships