Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:54 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I have seen many of the "pan handler" posts on NextDoor. Some people have been called out on it because they are constantly posting and requesting more and more stuff for their kids, their pet's surgery, their car, etc.

There is one lady that posts quite a bit but she is looking for food donations for the colony of cats that she takes care of. She has an Amazon wish list link posted. She has never asked for money. She traps many of these cats and pays for their spay or neuter and rabies shots out of her own pocket.

I was amazed one day when she was called out for requesting food donations. The individual told her that if she can't afford to feed "her" cats, then she shouldn't have gotten them. Yep, the feral cats that live in the woods.
Having once been a panhandler myself, I'm so glad that you posted "pan handlers" in quotes.

There are "panhandler's" and "Pan Handlers." The first are those in need. The latter gives the former a bad rep. The latter aren't "panhandler's"...they're scammers. Scamming happens with the wealthy AND the poor...and unfortunately, those who are REALLY in need, are dismissed because so many figure that they're scammers.

Believe it or not, some homeless/poor pet owners would rather see their pets eat, than themselves.

Imagine seeing a woman with a dog, having a kind passer-by give her a meal from McDonald's...

...and her giving the meal to her dog.

Homeless/poor people are often VERY attached to their pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 12:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Is NextDoor like Front Porch Forum?
No idea of what that even is.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:25 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
With all the scams going on now and the naïve overly helpful people on NextDoor, it sounds like the perfect place to scam people. I've also noticed a new scam during a long drive over the weekend. I see people who have "buy the new bride a drink" on the back of their vehicles with a link to Venmo. I saw it twice so it seems like an obvious scam to me. And who is going to give a random new bride "drink money"?

Old 08-01-2023, 12:32 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,098 times
The 'scams' aren't from panhandlers themselves...

...there from those who are NOT panhandlers.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I live in two places; it is remarkable to see the difference between the two Nextdoor neighborhood posts.

In one, it is about community involvement, pictures of a mama moose & her triplets (see below), caution about traffic from road construction, looking for recommendations for nannies & housekeepers & roofers and the like.

In the other, someone will post about a missing cat and within 30 minutes there will be 200 replies discussing Bidenflation, Evil Corporations, water conservation, best Taco trucks, how everything works back home (wherever home was), that Berkshire Hathaway-owed electric utility is engaging in highway robbery, and yes, the guy playing the violin outside a grocery store seeking donations for his evicted mom that supposedly is really just miming to the playback of pre-recorded music.

From Nextdoor:
I live in two places as well, and there are moose in one place, but NextDoor isn't much of a thing there.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I got one for you. Guy the other day, who lives in my area but is hiking in the northern Cascades in Washington state, posts that he sees lots of couples with the man walking in front of the woman and his observation is that this is 'chauvanistic.' Let that sink in. He's in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, hiking, and THIS is what he comments on. For the record, my husband always walks ahead on trails, and he walks on the curb side of any sidewalk we are on 'so you won't get taken out.'
Geez, what an idiot. Everyone knows that the guy walks in front in case there's a bear up ahead on the trail so you can push him toward it before running off.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
With all the scams going on now and the naïve overly helpful people on NextDoor, it sounds like the perfect place to scam people. I've also noticed a new scam during a long drive over the weekend. I see people who have "buy the new bride a drink" on the back of their vehicles with a link to Venmo. I saw it twice so it seems like an obvious scam to me. And who is going to give a random new bride "drink money"?
Oh good lord.

Old 08-01-2023, 02:01 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Apologies to OP, but this is too funny not to add in here. Anyone who knows NextDoor will find something funny about it:

https://youtu.be/_JSg0j88ORA
That's hysterical.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2023, 02:08 PM

349 posts, read 244,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I've also noticed a new scam during a long drive over the weekend. I see people who have "buy the new bride a drink" on the back of their vehicles with a link to Venmo. I saw it twice so it seems like an obvious scam to me. And who is going to give a random new bride "drink money"?
I saw something similar this weekend when traveling home from out of town. They had “girls trip” on the back of their car which I thought “okay, kinda weird, but whatever” then had a Venmo account. I was super confused.

There was another car with a Venmo account but I missed what they wanted money for.

It seems very strange to me. But I guess some people are trying any and everything for a buck…

Old 08-01-2023, 04:59 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No idea of what that even is.
It's an online forum, separated by town, where people can post comments, ask for recommendations, post things for sale or for free, start discussions, inform people about upcoming events, etc etc etc.
There's one couple who also post preachy commentary on certain social issues. We have complaints about rude drivers, stolen stuff, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships