Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 08:00 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

Not my immediate family but have relatives from my in-laws borrow items and never return them. Like tools, plates, or pots.

Went to my in-laws house and saw my tools sitting there on top of a box. So I mentioned, isn't that my wrench and socket set?? My bro in-law says, "Is it? I thought I bought that.."

It was clearly mine, but I just left it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 08:15 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Not relatives, but I've had neighbors borrow things without returning them, or return them damaged. My wife let some neighbors borrow some tools one time and I didn't know until I needed them about a week later. Found them left outside in the neighbor's yard in the rain. That neighbor never could figure out why I never let them borrow anything again, even showing them what they had done to the tools.

It's funny that one of the discussions I've had with people is something like this:
"Why get upset; it's just a tool."
"Then why don't you buy one?"
"Oh, it's too expensive."
"And that's why I'm not loaning it out again."

Old 08-24-2023, 08:17 AM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Went to my in-laws house and saw my tools sitting there on top of a box. So I mentioned, isn't that my wrench and socket set?? My bro in-law says, "Is it? I thought I bought that.."

It was clearly mine, but I just left it alone.

You didn't ask for it back, so you must not want it back.

You are teaching them that they can keep whatever they borrow!

And they are getting the message, since you say "relatives from my in-laws borrow items and never return them", as i more than one relative does this to you with multiple items.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Probably. My problem is disorganization. When I can't find a tool, I won't remember whether I lent it out or just forgot where I put it. So, I buy another. I probably have 6-8 10mm sockets, but only know where one is.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You didn't ask for it back, so you must not want it back.

You are teaching them that they can keep whatever they borrow!

And they are getting the message, since you say "relatives from my in-laws borrow items and never return them", as i more than one relative does this to you with multiple items.
The word 'borrow" means borrow. It does not mean, can I keep it. When family borrows your car, they return it after using it. So why not apply to other things.

Maybe certain things like a tool or dish isn't expensive as a car but it should have the same understanding.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:02 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't loan my equipment or anything else to anyone except for a very few people who have proven themselves to be trustworthy, so I don't have that problem.

Next time your [anybody relative or not] asks to borrow anything, you say "No, because you never returned the [item] that you borrowed last time." And never loan them anything else again.

I have a friend who paints all the handles on all of her tools bright pink. No one asks to borrow them and no one steals them. There is never any dispute about the ownership of the tools.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:03 AM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
The word 'borrow" means borrow. It does not mean, can I keep it. When family borrows your car, they return it after using it. So why not apply to other things.

Maybe certain things like a tool or dish isn't expensive as a car but it should have the same understanding.
Correct. But then you let them keep it.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:10 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Put your name on everything. That's what my husband did. He also seldom lent tools out. I like the paint them pink idea on post six.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:27 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I have a light-fingered spouse who can't bear to spend any money so he "borrows" items of mine when I'm not looking. Years ago I bought an elaborately-ornate magnifying glass at the Rose Bowl Flea Market. Eventually it "disappeared."

It "reappeared" a few weeks ago when I saw the magnifying glass in a box of his things. He said, "You weren't supposed to see that."

Old 08-24-2023, 10:31 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
My brother lives around the corner from me and our back yards are connected so we have a gate in the fence between us. When I was taking care of my mother I would often need a ladder to get on the roof. My brother had a nice one and I would borrow it until my sister in law said the last time I borrowed it "If you have to borrow something more than 3 times, you need to buy your own." My brother didn't mind but his wife was a real "jewel" that way. I didn't have a job to go buy anything like a good ladder and I always took it back.

I don't see any problem asking for your stuff back after you know who ever borrowed it is finished with it. Making a point to ask is a good idea in my mind. Otherwise you have resentment and the borrower has disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships