Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 11:24 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,941,564 times

Advertisements

I made a friend at the dog park a few months ago. We have some things in common so it's a go. Took 3 years living here, though. Most people are busy with their own lives and don't really want to take on any new friends. I've found that to be true no matter where I've lived. The person I met recently happens to be from my home area. We now live in what is to us, a nutty part of the country (being nice here), plus we are dog lovers and spiritually inclined as well as loving all kinds of ethnic food (not so easy to find here) so there is plenty to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 06:47 PM

2,582 posts, read 2,696,424 times
I think it's okay to say "hi" or to comment on the dog and see what kind of reaction you get. If stranger is not definitely responding friendly enough, then you can assume he/she has too many friends and wish the person a good day and immediately leave the general premises after and go about your own day.

I wouldn't try to look them up on anything unless you feel like someone is being really mean to you or you're talking in-person to trade contact info. to keep a positive connection.

If someone is being really mean to you and you figure out who they are, just block them. That's what I do. I don't need mean people knowing more about me than they might already know. Not worth the trouble.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:25 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,016,790 times
I see no issue saying something casual with a smile like "Hey, looks like we have the same schedule!" - and see what happens.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:36 AM

2,582 posts, read 2,696,424 times
Oh I should add, if a random feed shows us someone we may have interest in over social media, it's human for us to look. Most if not all of us do that. So, go ahead and look, but don't try to reach out or friend them without enough context.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:48 AM

999 posts, read 552,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
How common is it to make a new friend with a stranger in public?
I often go walking at the local park for exercise. I enjoy spending time outdoors and love all that nature has to offer. Every time I go to the park, ironically I see the same individual there walking their dog. Some days I'm there first and other days this person is already there before me. We usually walk past each other on the walking trial and make friendly eye contact but never have spoken to each other before. I just find it so funny that I always see this person there and sometimes we even park our cars next to each other unintentionally. This person is intriguing. Also, it sounds strange but I was able to find this person on social media. I found out we are actually the same age from their public social media posts. This person seems nice and seems like someone I would get along well with, so I kinda want to be their friend. I have a pretty small circle so it would be nice to make a new friend with someone local who has common interests. I may just be too overly hopeful as I know many people nowadays just like keeping to themselves and doing their own thing, but I thought I should atleast try to talk to this person. I usually have no interest in getting to know someone new especially a stranger, but this situation is oddly different as we always seem to be at the same place at the same time. I also feel in the sence that we both notice each other's presence even from the distance. Should I try to strike up a conversation with this person? If so how should I approach it without it being awkward? What should I say? Or should I just forget about talking to this person and let it go as it may be way too weird?
Well, it's possible that there's a reason why the two of you end up coming together over and over at these particular points in the space/time field.

Last edited by CCS414; 10-21-2023 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-25-2023, 07:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times
I've made lots of casual friends over the years by being friendly with people I see regularly on walks and at the gym. Some have never progressed farther than a few minutes of chitchat when we see each other while others have become lasting friends. It's not weird as long as you don't make it weird.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:33 PM

22,379 posts, read 19,299,750 times
stalking them on social media sounds like a red flag

if you see each other chat briefly when you happen to meet, and see how they respond.
if i knew someone was stalking me on social media i wouldn't give them the time a day, and would stay waaaaaaaaaaaay far away from them

also through casual comments you can see if they respond positively and open up, or if they back off and give you the cold shoulder. at work there was someone i kept running into in the parking lot and we would laugh and comment on that. it never went farther than that. another person at work i kept seeing in the parking lot and attempted to chat a bit and they backed way off and no longer wave or make eye contact. i'm fine with that, they were sending a clear signal, because they could sensed my intent and were not interested.

so make a generic comment and see if they back off or seem open to chatting a bit. and know that it is creepy to stalk people on social media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships