Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 11:59 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,319,833 times

Advertisements

Someone dm'd me this "if you saved it, take a picture and send it before Christmas and see if she continues anyway."
That's a great idea. I wonder how many she bought, and if they were all for me. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 12:01 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_girl View Post
She is 44 or 45. She's a middle class stay at home Mom, lives rent free with her husband and adult son at a home owned by her parents.

I'm glad you asked me how she is like to spend time with because today I feel like she disrespected me and I am thinking of cutting her off completely.

We have a planned lunch today at 12 pm and she cancelled on me through text TEN mins before our agreed time. It's a good thing I checked my phone before I left home. She said she has a headache and is very sleepy. I told her I am ready to go and dressed up and she just said "I'm sorry, I'm dizzy and need to sleep now" I was LIVID. I do think she is a hypochondriac and she exaggerates her stories a lot. She also believes her lies (She doesn't know that her Mom complains about her to my Mom) Honestly, I didn't feel like seeing her anymore but that lunch was planned months ago and then she did this? Then she has the nerve to make me feel guilty that I can't reschedule on Friday (because that is her free time)

She's the opposite of a hoarder. She likes to "get rid" of things. She, her husband and son live in a home owned by her parents and her Mom complained to my Mom (they are friends too) that my friend disposed of her things without her knowledge.

I noticed that if she perceives the item to have value she will sell it. She tried to sell me an old printer. She only gifts stuff she doesn't like or are junk to her.

Yeah, based on this additional information I'd definitely refuse any invite now. Betch! Have you known her very long?

Old 12-27-2023, 12:03 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
I don't mind either gifting a gift or the other. If I can use the gift, great; if I can't use the gift, then it's taking up valuable space.
I normally give fruitcake to friends, neighbors, and people I want to make friends or unfriend
I only wish someone will give me fruitcake, I love it.

Old 12-27-2023, 12:41 PM

816 posts, read 444,839 times
My mom has been regifting to my brother/sisters and I for years. We get a lot of laughs over it.

Many years ago I got "An Amy Grant Christmas" CD from her. No idea why. Told my sister and she said she bought it for my mom a few months earlier when my mom said she liked it. She never even removed the plastic, just threw some wrapping on it and gave it to me.

That's when I found out it wasn't just me she was doing it to. Now we each give her things the rest of us like, then "suggest" a good gift to one of us. I thanked my sister for the bottle of wine my mother "gave me" last year.

It could be a Seinfeld episode if it was still around.

Old 12-27-2023, 12:55 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
I cut off the gifting with 2 good friends, we were all busy around xmas so it went without a hitch. I tried it with my brother and SIL and gave them baked , but they gave me presents. I doubt they will ever stop giving presents but I'll just live with it.

One year, my SIL commented on how good I smelled, I had a smaller jar, new and gave it to her. A year later she gave it back in a gift bag saying it contained cancer causing ingredients. It was just a body cream from Philosophy. But how freakin weird!!

Old 12-27-2023, 02:33 PM

23,295 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_girl View Post
She's the opposite of a hoarder. She likes to "get rid" of things. She, her husband and son live in a home owned by her parents and her Mom complained to my Mom (they are friends too) that my friend disposed of her things without her knowledge.

I noticed that if she perceives the item to have value she will sell it. She tried to sell me an old printer. She only gifts stuff she doesn't like or are junk to her.
This person isn't giving anyone anything. She's taking advantage of their inherent courtesy. Her little world is populated by one person: herself. Most of the actions she seems to take are primarily to benefit her. The other person ranks a distant second. She sees gifting as a convenient way to foist her unwanted stuff on someone else but still getting some sort of credit for it. If she can't get $ at least she can get some social cred for going through the motions. She's counting on the recipients to be too polite to challenge her behavior.

You probably mean little to nothing to her these days OP. If a friend treated me like a convenient recycling bin, instead of the non-dramatic failed friendship slow fade, I'd be doing some targeted purging of my own.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-27-2023 at 03:20 PM..

Old 12-27-2023, 02:42 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
My mom has been regifting to my brother/sisters and I for years. We get a lot of laughs over it.

Many years ago I got "An Amy Grant Christmas" CD from her. No idea why. Told my sister and she said she bought it for my mom a few months earlier when my mom said she liked it. She never even removed the plastic, just threw some wrapping on it and gave it to me.

That's when I found out it wasn't just me she was doing it to. Now we each give her things the rest of us like, then "suggest" a good gift to one of us. I thanked my sister for the bottle of wine my mother "gave me" last year.

It could be a Seinfeld episode if it was still around.

love it!

Old 12-27-2023, 02:50 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,297,831 times
this is all very funny

Old 12-27-2023, 03:49 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I don't mind either gifting a gift or the other. If I can use the gift, great; if I can't use the gift, then it's taking up valuable space.
I normally give fruitcake to friends, neighbors, and people I want to make friends or unfriend
I only wish someone will give me fruitcake, I love it.

frozen fruitcake sliced paper thin goes very well with a sip of Crown.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:05 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Not sure if someone has suggested it already, but why don't you just regift those same items back to her, and see how she reacts? Let us know what happens.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships