Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:26 PM

870 posts, read 1,627,494 times

Advertisements

ok...am i overreacting or do i have a right to be frustrated? i am sick and tired of people saying they are going to do something and not doing it. plus, i am tired of setting up things with friends only to have them be 30 minutes late.

for example, a buddy calls and says he has tickets to a baseball game and asks if you want to go if he doesn't hear back from the guy originally going. well...he never calls back and you ask him about it and he says that he didn't get the tickets and had to work. well, how hard is it to call someone and tell them that instead of making them sit and wait? this happens too much. things like "i'll call you back in 10 minutes" turns into 2 hours.

also, how hard is it for people to be on time for things? i am 5 minutes early to everything i am supposed to do only to have the people i am meeting be 15 minutes late. i am not going to change and start being late myself. i think being on time is the right thing to do and if you are running late call someone and let them know. instead, after them being 10 minutes late and i call them to see when they are going to be there all i get is something like "dang....have you been waiting forever or something?" well, no....YOU were supposed to be here 10 freaking minutes ago!!!

this kind of stuff is just getting out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
ok...am i overreacting or do i have a right to be frustrated? i am sick and tired of people saying they are going to do something and not doing it. plus, i am tired of setting up things with friends only to have them be 30 minutes late.

for example, a buddy calls and says he has tickets to a baseball game and asks if you want to go if he doesn't hear back from the guy originally going. well...he never calls back and you ask him about it and he says that he didn't get the tickets and had to work. well, how hard is it to call someone and tell them that instead of making them sit and wait? this happens too much. things like "i'll call you back in 10 minutes" turns into 2 hours.

also, how hard is it for people to be on time for things? i am 5 minutes early to everything i am supposed to do only to have the people i am meeting be 15 minutes late. i am not going to change and start being late myself. i think being on time is the right thing to do and if you are running late call someone and let them know. instead, after them being 10 minutes late and i call them to see when they are going to be there all i get is something like "dang....have you been waiting forever or something?" well, no....YOU were supposed to be here 10 freaking minutes ago!!!

this kind of stuff is just getting out of hand.
Okay. People who are inconsiderate of time are the most inconsiderate people of all. Five minutes late is one thing. But 15 without so much as a call back saying 'I'm running late'? You just climbed to the top of my s***list. And, for most things, I'm a pretty patient guy.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM

672 posts, read 5,823,718 times
I think many people are selfish and think only of themselves, especially re: the being on time thing. My mother used to say that when you're late it means that you think your time is more important than the other person's. I am always a bit early or exactly on time. All you have to do is leave enough time to get there on time, and not get caught up in another activity right before you're supposed to leave. Most people don't do this, and they meet up with you 15 minutes late or more and then apologize with some lame excuse or just say they were "running late." When it happens more than a couple of times it's a problem.

People don't think of how others feel and tend to only think about themselves. I think they're caught up in their own little world and don't have the time or energy to think about how their actions affect others.

People need to slow down and try living more simply for a change. Common courtesy, old-fashioned values and thinking of others has gone out the window. Cell phone etiquette is another one of those social etiquette things that bugs me. Don't answer your cell phone when you're out to dinner with me--that's just plain rude. Don't leave your cell phone on the table turned on so that you can answer every call that comes in when you're out with me. Just turn the thing off and let voice mail pick it up, and check your messages when you get home. But most people are oblivious to this.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
I dont know...I am one of those people that runs late a lot. But I always say give me 5 -10 minutes or so when making plans. I usually am never more than that.

But I do think cell phones have ruined the people for calling back in a timely fashion. I think some just assume that you are going about your day as you would no matter what the plans are. But still its rude. I dont think anyone should have to wait 2 hours for a phone call. I start to shy away from people that act like that. There are other inconsiderate traits people like that have that end up getting on my nerves. Its just not worth the annoyance.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:04 PM

thanks for the responses. here is another one. i went over to a friends house for a poker game that was supposed to start at 7:00. i got there at 6:58 and guess what.....nobody else was there yet. at 7:10 i said to the guy that rode with me "nice poker game at 7:00 huh?" my friend that was hosting the game says to the guy that rode with me "he always gets upset when people aren't on time." i said "well, don't tell me the dang game is at 7:00 next time if you know everyone is going to be late. next time just tell me 8:00"

i'm glad i'm not the only person who feels this way.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Would it still tick you off it someone said be there around 7ish?

And they showed up within a 15 minute time frame window?

Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM
luv

50 posts, read 169,410 times
People get busy. Do you have a family or something to occupy yourself when people change the plans or dont call back? People generally are quite flakey so its best to just do your own thing and if they keep to the plans then fine. I have a friend who has every second planned out for the entire forthcoming week or two. Yesterday we spoke and she pinned me into meeting up with her on friday and was trying to pin me down to a time. I hate being pinned down like that. I realize she wants to make sure she has something planned to do, but I have a family and we get busy doing things we need to take care of. I told her I would just call her in the afternoon to see where I was at with my errands. I know I'm somewhat in the wrong on this, but I got annoyed that I have to now be pinned down and feel like cancelling as I can see I'll be a lot later than she would like to meet.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Would it still tick you off it someone said be there around 7ish?

And they showed up within a 15 minute time frame window?
i don't know. the way i look at it is that if someone is driving over an hour or so to meet up somewhere then that would be fine. but if it is a short drive then you should be able to give a specific time. it's not like we are riding on a horse and wagon anymore.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:17 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
This happens all the time, no matter what.
I, myself am early to everything, but I really don`t expect others to be this way...just from my experience.
I am trying to teach my son how important it is to be on time, and if you can`t be there, to call... out of respect, if nothing else.
LOL... People don`t have that nowdays, and it is aggravating.
Just make it clear to them when you make plans, that you would appreciate them to give you a call, if their going to be late.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
People get busy. Do you have a family or something to occupy yourself when people change the plans or dont call back? People generally are quite flakey so its best to just do your own thing and if they keep to the plans then fine. I have a friend who has every second planned out for the entire forthcoming week or two. Yesterday we spoke and she pinned me into meeting up with her on friday and was trying to pin me down to a time. I hate being pinned down like that. I realize she wants to make sure she has something planned to do, but I have a family and we get busy doing things we need to take care of. I told her I would just call her in the afternoon to see where I was at with my errands. I know I'm somewhat in the wrong on this, but I got annoyed that I have to now be pinned down and feel like cancelling as I can see I'll be a lot later than she would like to meet.

i have a feeling that most people aren't as "busy" as they say they are. most people are just plain bad at managing their time...therefore they end up running around at the last minute trying to get things done when they are supposed to be somewhere else.

yes...i have a wife and son. that is beside the point though. who wants to sit in their car 15 minutes waiting on someone. i don't care who is with me in the car...it is just not fun sitting and waiting on someone who is late. i had a friend one time after being an hour late tell me "sorry, we had to get the kids ready". now, am i out of line for telling him to get his kids ready earlier instead of getting them ready when it is time to leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships