Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

My relationship with my daughter has always been as her mother. As a child, she would have no concept of me as young, so would not be seeing me as her sister. A woman on a tv courtroom show testified that her daughter always thought of her as a sister since she was only 17 years older. To a young person, seventeen years is an eon. She's been an adult for awhile now, and I asked if she ever thought of me as her sister? Her response: What for?

Have to add, she and I have never had crosswords. Not sure how it happened. It surely didn't happen for my mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Parents should be parents, not friends.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
I'm confused, did you have your daughter when you were 17? Why would you want or expect her to see you as a sister? Your first sentence is most perplexing: "My relationship with my daughter has always been as her mother." - You ARE her mother so why would your relationship with her be anything else?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:50 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm confused, did you have your daughter when you were 17? Why would you want or expect her to see you as a sister? Your first sentence is most perplexing: "My relationship with my daughter has always been as her mother." - You ARE her mother so why would your relationship with her be anything else?

LOL! Those same thoughts ran through my head too!
I don't see where the OP asked a question, either. Hard to know what the OP wants as replies....

Old 09-30-2013, 04:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
why would it be anything else??

because some woman, tho old enough to be mothers are very immature..- ive seen this first-hand,,,they spoil the hell out of their kids,,no discipline,,,then wonder why they have so much trouble with them when they are teenagers..

Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,382 times
The OP was simply comparing her relationship to her daughter -- who she apparently had when she was 17 -- to that of the woman she saw on TV, who had her daughter at 17 and said her daughter thought of her as her sister.
She was saying just because someone is only 17 when they have a child, that is no reason to think the child could think of them as a sibling rather than a parent because, to a little child, even 17 is "old"...that's all. Not confusing at all.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
The OP was simply comparing her relationship to her daughter -- who she apparently had when she was 17 -- to that of the woman she saw on TV, who had her daughter at 17 and said her daughter thought of her as her sister.
She was saying just because someone is only 17 when they have a child, that is no reason to think the child could think of them as a sibling rather than a parent because, to a little child, even 17 is "old"...that's all. Not confusing at all.
Thanks! English is obviously your first language. LOL. When reading the earlier comments, I wondered why they didn't read my whole post.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My relationship with my daughter has always been as her mother. As a child, she would have no concept of me as young, so would not be seeing me as her sister. A woman on a tv courtroom show testified that her daughter always thought of her as a sister since she was only 17 years older. To a young person, seventeen years is an eon. She's been an adult for awhile now, and I asked if she ever thought of me as her sister? Her response: What for?

Have to add, she and I have never had crosswords. Not sure how it happened. It surely didn't happen for my mother.
Maybe you should stop watching TV if you find it so perplexing.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post

You set a lot of store by what some stranger said on tv...I don't think any kid would think of their mom as their sister...really..Nice that you've never had cross words...good for you!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Sad they did not have crosswords, though... my kids and I enjoy that together! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships