Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,656,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
If I send an "old-fashioned" e-mail to a friend and they don't respond, or answer my e-mail questions in the form of a Facebook update, I get a bit ticked off. If I'm not worthy of a personal e-mail response then I will probably write you off as a friend before too long. This happened to me a couple months ago and I no longer consider the person to be a real friend to me which is very sad.
I experienced this as well. I know people can be busy, but isn't the whole point of email and Facebook to make it easier to stay in touch when you don't have a lot of free time? When a person is too busy to even email, you have to wonder what kind of friend that person is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
I still prefer email or the phone.

I must be old
I guess I'm old too. There's a lot to be said for talking with someone and actually hearing their voice. I know if I were dating someone, I'd rather hear their voice than see what they type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 PM

355 posts, read 815,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I guess I'm old too. There's a lot to be said for talking with someone and actually hearing their voice. I know if I were dating someone, I'd rather hear their voice than see what they type.
The other reason is that I don't like being tied down to my computer/laptop all the time. It gets stale. I prefer face-to-face and hearing somebody's voice.

Although it's hard to engage in more than one phone call at a time -- but on Facebook/MySpace, you can actually communicate with many. The problem is, if your profile is public, everybody can see who you're talking to and what they're saying. And if your friends' profiles are all public, people can actually get a pretty good picture of what your life is all about.

Believe it or not, I'm far too private of a person for that.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,070,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
Does Facebook Replace Face Time or Enhance It? - TIME

I found this article today. Do you have long time friends that are on your friends list on Facebook (or MySpace or whatever) and now you only keep in touch by updating your Facebook Status? No more phone calls, visits, or e-mails? Do you think this is still a "real" friendship? I'm talking about people you used to keep in contact with in other ways, not just people you knew 20 years ago and added them as friends even though you haven't kept in touch in those 20 years.

Just curious.
I keep in touch with my MySpace and my Facebook friends by phone and in person since most of those friends are also my dance friends and people I see on a daily or weekly basis. We just exchange pics and stuff.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,466,434 times
Quote:
Don't you think MySpace is better? Facebook has too many applications ...
No, I find Facebook's "wall" a great application without all that background stuff. My niece has a background that will choke a blind man. OMG I can hardly read anything on it.
The wall on facebook and the "Chat" is awesome. Just last night my nephew and I were IMing each other while we were watching football.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,227,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. Quite the opposite in fact. I have friends and family (TONS of family!!! t) on Facebook that I hardly EVER communicated with, and now am able to stay in touch with. Friends that I have not seen in years, are now easily in touch. It's been a wonderful tool for me, though I never thought it would be as useful as it has been.

The people that I normally am in contact with "in other ways", have not changed. We still call, talk, whatever. No, FB has not been a detriment at all, for me.

Couldn't agree more. I was another reluctant Facebook joiner - my friends in London were nagging me to join, but I thought I would only know them on there, and why bother when we could just e.mail?
Now I am a total convert - friends found me who I went to school with in Europe YEARS ago, and would have been unlikely to ever see again. I'm Facebook friends with family all over the world, and even reconnected with some old friends from London who now just so happen to be living in the same US city as we just moved to! It was an invaluable contact when we were moving because it gave us some ready made friends here.

The one thing I don't like is that I do get the occassional request from people who I really don't feel any need to keep in touch with. I ususally don't accept these, but I've accepted a few because I felt bad, and now I'd feel guilty if I deleted them. I may do it anyway!

I think Facebook is the most valuable for those who have moved a lot in their lives, or who have family and friends scattered all over the world. Then it really is a very valuable tool.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
I've always hated the phone, actually, just a personal thing.

I'd much rather keep up with friends and family who are too far away to have facetime with via ACTUAL PAPER LETTERS - yes, I really DO write and send them. I have a wonderful array of cool stationary, a writing desk, and cool accoutremants like sealing wax and high-quality fountain pens. I've been writing letters since I was a kid. I also prefer e-mail, and messaging on social sites like Facebook to talking on the phone. I enjoy writing, be it online or off, that's my preferred method of keeping in contact with others. I don't think it's lazy not to phone. It actually takes more effort to communicate in writing, IMO. All told, however, I'd rather get together when possible, but I live far from most of my family and longest term acquaintances, so that's just not possible.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM

11,400 posts, read 24,487,413 times
For a long time I didn't like Facebook, but since it's now home to my peers, most of whom are over 25, I've gotten quite attached to it. It's wonderful for getting back in touch and actually enhances some of my real life friendships, since we can attend gatherings we might not otherwise hear about and share tidbits of information before or after some happening.

For those who fear sharing too much, there are plenty of privacy settings that can help limit what and how much info gets out to others.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM

37,661 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Myspace I can't stand. It's a mess. Facebook has a much cleaner look and is easier to use.
God I totally agree.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 PM

37,661 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
The problem is, if your profile is public, everybody can see who you're talking to and what they're saying. And if your friends' profiles are all public, people can actually get a pretty good picture of what your life is all about.

Believe it or not, I'm far too private of a person for that.
Well...duh. That's why you don't make it public.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM

355 posts, read 815,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well...duh. That's why you don't make it public.
But that's just too easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships