Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 AM

146 posts, read 438,126 times

Advertisements

Today my heart nearly stopped beating when mum called to say an accident occured and totalled our familie's only vehicle. I was ****ing devastated! I was also relieved that she made it out safely and my heart nearly stopped beating again when I arrived on scene. The fault of another imbosol.

Anyway, at this point the break is that I have a vehicle. However, the tough issue to face is the fact that I may need to 'taxi' 2 other family members during this time. And at this point I depend HEAVILY on my vehicle for my work, in addition to the regular errands I must run. Also I have 2 younger siblings and my mum, thats 5 right there!

I dont know what to do, or what to say at this point. All I can do is cry because I've been in this situation before and it ultimately tore the family apart. And whats even worse is where we live has no public transportation. The thought of constantly having to halt my work schedule and possibly even put me out of work is unbearable right now. I am thankful that everything is ok but at the same time I am afraid the 'weight' will be put on me.

Since it just happend only a few hours ago, I dont know exactly whats going to happen and how long all of this will take. Both parties are insured but like I said, my family's only car (besides mine) is gone. I may be over-reacting but at this point is all I can think about. In addition, I have to go and pick up my brother in 30 minutes, usually Im sleep around now because I work late!

The inconvenience is already beginning to manifest and I just want to crack the skull of the idiot who caused it! Of course everyone makes mistakes which is why they are called 'accidents' but this person's wheels came out fine and now we're in a bind!

Whats a good way to handle this? Should I panic now? I dont mind to temporaily provide transportation to them but I know as the days (or weeks) go along conflicts begin and things get nasty. What should I do, or say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 AM

657 posts, read 1,601,064 times
well, for starters, it shouldn't take long (if the car has already been deemed "totaled") for them to be acquiring a new car.. if it takes them any longer than a couple weeks, then they need to be prodded a bit. perhaps you could even help them look for a new vehicle, since expediting their acquisition of a vehicle is advantageous to you.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,687 times
you should be honest. I know they are your family and you want to help. but right now things are tough for everybody. Are you really willing to lose YOUR job?? Can you even afford that? If your family really cares about you they SHOULD understand that this is a very BIG burden for you to endure by yourself.

You should suggest that they rent a car.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM

657 posts, read 1,601,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
you should be honest. I know they are your family and you want to help. but right now things are tough for everybody. Are you really willing to lose YOUR job?? Can you even afford that? If your family really cares about you they SHOULD understand that this is a very BIG burden for you to endure by yourself.

You should suggest that they rent a car.
good idea! they SHOULD look into that, because if the accident was the fault of the other person, there is a pretty strong possibility that the other party's insurance could/would cover the rental at no expense to them.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,870,766 times
Default Tears On Keyboard, crying, Advice...SIGH

First of all, peel yourself off the wall over this accident and calm down so you can think clearly. Point #1, no one was killed so thank God for that one and be grateful instead of angry over the accident. You can always replace a vehicle but not a person..especially family. No do-overs here. Point#2 - As long as everyone had insurance, your insurance should provide you with a rental until your car can be replaced or fixed. Look into that. Point #3 - Double check to be sure everyone has the appropriate paperwork so you can file a claim against the other persons insurance company. You will need a Police report and an estimate from THEIR insurance company.

Lastly...this stuff happens all the time and as a family you are going to have to pitch in and help, like it or not. This is what families do. So you have to play "taxi" for a while..big deal..everyone is ok and it is just a car.
Please, stop crying and worrying about what you are going to do. Get tough and think this one through then push through it.

Remember..no one has ever promised any ONE of us that our lives were going to be perfect, you know...no glitches? Heck yesterday was a huge fiasco for me and I am here alone most of the day with just my two kitties and the dog. I have had this horrible wooshing noise in my ear that kind of tosses me off balance...spilled coffee all over the place...went to wipe it up with papertowel...left leg is numb from surgery last year and it hurts like hell to bend...THEN..I walk by the kitties room and my 18 year old cat is forgetting how to pee INSIDE the box...she hits the papers around it...sigh..more bending. I decide to catch my breath and check my email..ahh..email from Maine...I type a long answer to the email then SEND IT TO MYSELF! Can you say senile?? So, off I go back to the kitchen, pull the garbage bag out of the trash can..bottom falls out! SO although not a car wreck by a long shot...I was becoming a car wreck so I went into my room, turned on my fav Soprano Reruns and regrouped.

Good luck with the car issue....stop crying and think this through with a clear head...everyone's bottom falls out once in a while.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,870,052 times
They should be eligble for a rental car immediately from the insurance company. Look on-line for quotes for similar cars to what was totaled as the insurance co will try to provide a minimum amount. back up your argument with examples of identical cars that are selling for more., in the market place today.
The cars can be replaced.. why stress so much about logistics? they lived through something that could have gone the other way. be happy you are not dealing with grief from a loss other than your time

Old 03-26-2009, 07:13 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
I don't know how close you are to an Enterprise Car rental company,but a 30 day rental is about
$600.00 see if it is covered in the insurance Policy, also let the insurance company know the car is gone that might save you some $,

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,162,588 times
Accidents happen, thank God noone was hurt ... It's a pain in the butt, but whatever the outcome, it's short term so think of it as paying it forward- You're are showing compassion and empathy and being kind to those in need.

Here's a quick story: I go to school 4 nights a week and there's someone in my class who does not drive, I don't ask, but I saw him walking one night and it was cold (last week) so I asked if he needed a ride. And, now I give him a ride every day ... His destination is out of my way but, class is over in June so what the hell ... I'm paying it forward- I know in the past people have helped me when needed.

Cheers and good luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,799,207 times
I just went through having my car totaled in January and it took 2 months for the insurance company to cut me a check for my totaled car. It really is not as fast as 2 weeks. My auto insurance only covered a rental for 30 days. It was another week and a half before the money cleared the bank. But also keep in mind 2 months out of your life is really not that long to sacrifice your routine for the people that brought you into this world. Yes it sux. Yes it will be an inconvenience. But as many others have said at least no one died!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,058,973 times
Wow! When I read the OP's first post, I thought somebody had been killed!!! Then, as I read further along, I find the thing he is upset about is having no car???!!! I'm glad nobody was injured or killed.

How about somebody getting a rental car? If everyone was insured, and you have a policy that has a rental car clause, then your insurance should pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships