Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:34 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,913,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Misogyny is in , it's very chic.

In my case, most people bore me more than anything...

and what's this crock of **** about everyone being unique, gimme a break, people are all the same!

Or rather, they tend to fit into a few different personality molds. They either the 'type A go-getter', the laid-back slacker blah blah blah. I think once you've met one of each time you've basically met 'em all! That goes for looks too.

I find I have less time for small-talk, but when I have to I try to be polite and genial. I dislike people who just can't put on a smile on their face; a little 'phoniness' didn't hurt anybody, besides you can become happy by acting happier and it's not really phony.

On that note I dislike all the faux niceness put on my people who just want something. People are seldom very nice for no reason whatsoever.
I dunno.........I'm nice to ya for no readily apparent reason, ain't I?

PS! I'm unique, just like everybody else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I dunno.........I'm nice to ya for no readily apparent reason, ain't I?

PS! I'm unique, just like everybody else!
I'm like you, my default is to be nice...My default expression is a smile, and I think that seems rare today.

I reckon it's more so friends and family. The part about people seldom being nice is a bit of an exaggeration, but is often the case with certain people, particularly younger people, interacting with strangers.

I guess we're all unique in that sense, but we tend to conform to certain types, groups or categories. All to often a new person I meet reminds me of somebody I already know. I rarely meet somebody who is so original and unique I think 'wow, who IS this person?'

Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I'm like you, my default is to be nice...My default expression is a smile, and I think that seems rare today.

I reckon it's more so friends and family. The part about people seldom being nice is a bit of an exaggeration, but is often the case with certain people, particularly younger people, interacting with strangers.

I guess we're all unique in that sense, but we tend to conform to certain types, groups or categories. All to often a new person I meet reminds me of somebody I already know. I rarely meet somebody who is so original and unique I think 'wow, who IS this person?'
Ha! Well I'm not sure my default is to be nice, I can get pretty cranky at times. I'm often accused of being grumpy or in a bad mood simply because I'm concentrating and not walking around smiling like some crazy, demented Stepford Wife at everyone . That said I do tend to engage people, all kinds of people in pleasantries when I'm out and about. Always done it really. Not sure why. (when I can't be bothered doing it or I'm not in the mood, I simply don't go out.)

You know Trimac, I agree with you that people are similar BUT one thing I have learned as life has gone on, is that you can miss out on a lot by categorizing people before you've spent some time getting to know them. Even the most seemingly normal and average people have extraordinary tales to tell and aren't always as mundane as we initially might think.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Ha! Well I'm not sure my default is to be nice, I can get pretty cranky at times. I'm often accused of being grumpy or in a bad mood simply because I'm concentrating and not walking around smiling like some crazy, demented Stepford Wife at everyone . That said I do tend to engage people, all kinds of people in pleasantries when I'm out and about. Always done it really. Not sure why. (when I can't be bothered doing it or I'm not in the mood, I simply don't go out.)

You know Trimac, I agree with you that people are similar BUT one thing I have learned as life has gone on, is that you can miss out on a lot by categorizing people before you've spent some time getting to know them. Even the most seemingly normal and average people have extraordinary tales to tell and aren't always as mundane as we initially might think.
True, true...I observe, I don't judge ...nah I'm only human, I know my judgments are often off the mark.

I'm rather cranky at times myself, but me not wanting to engage is often more shyness/introversion than not liking people or being too lazy. If I were less shy I'd be a bit like one of those chatty old ladies who talks to everyone on the bus!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM

468 posts, read 1,221,500 times
I don't watch much TV, though I saw one episode of the doctor/hospital show, "House". The show has really good dialogue sometimes. In this episode, he was "seemingly" diagnosed with a deadly cancer, and going to another hospital for a brand new, high-tech drug treatment. His coworkers found out and started showing intense empathy for him, trying to hug him, etc., which he thought was nuts, and he kept telling them to back-off with the sympathy. In fact, he had faked his cancer, so that he could get the treatment, which involved a hallucinogenic drug with intense effects (Dr. House is apparently very into trying new drugs, and an addict of several). At the end of the show his forgery is discovered, his plan unravels, and his closest coworker confronts him, saying something like: "We all thought you were dying! And we were trying to show our appreciation for your life and friendship! Can't we ever get some emotion back from you? Why can't you accept us into your life that way, maybe you are completely blocked off from all people, maybe you are emotionally starved inside, or maybe you too scared to come out of your shell, maybe you should consider that??"

To which Dr. House replies: "Maybe what you should consider is that I find ALL people exceptionally and unequivocally BORING and COMPLETELY PREDICTABLE."

It's a great line of dialogue, I must say. (paraphrased)

Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
True, true...I observe, I don't judge ...nah I'm only human, I know my judgments are often off the mark.
Yeah, me too although I think I'm probably more slow to catch on when people are being nasty than the average person. Much to my shame I got a little cranky with a young kid in a souped up Holden in the supermarket carpark the other week. He stopped right where I was struggling to cross with the trolley and he didn't wave me across so I cursed him (under my breath so I thought ) and after I'd managed to wrestle the trolley back to the rack and get back to my car I discovered him parked beside me. ANYWAY he asked me if he'd done something wrong. I had to explain that I was just cranky anyway and had just seen him as an obstacle in my way as I was trolley wrestling. I hadn't seen him wave me across so I wasn't sure what to do and just got more cranky. He was pretty cool about it and we had a little laugh about trolleys being the work of the devil! Reminded me to pull my head in!

Quote:
I'm rather cranky at times myself, but me not wanting to engage is often more shyness/introversion than not liking people or being too lazy. If I were less shy I'd be a bit like one of those chatty old ladies who talks to everyone on the bus!
haha! The BUS????? That's like being CAPTIVE with a group of people!!! My idea of torture! I'm like that myself and yeah, realized after I'd analyzed my little episode in the supermarket car park that I wasn't really cranky with the kid in the car but more cranky with the situation in general. Luckily for me the kid got it.

I rarely catch public transport but I did get bailed up on a ferry ride across Puget Sound by this lady. I thought she'd talk my ear off.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 AM

So true...people are just robots really. Their programming comes from biology, social convention and religion.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah, me too although I think I'm probably more slow to catch on when people are being nasty than the average person. Much to my shame I got a little cranky with a young kid in a souped up Holden in the supermarket carpark the other week. He stopped right where I was struggling to cross with the trolley and he didn't wave me across so I cursed him (under my breath so I thought ) and after I'd managed to wrestle the trolley back to the rack and get back to my car I discovered him parked beside me. ANYWAY he asked me if he'd done something wrong. I had to explain that I was just cranky anyway and had just seen him as an obstacle in my way as I was trolley wrestling. I hadn't seen him wave me across so I wasn't sure what to do and just got more cranky. He was pretty cool about it and we had a little laugh about trolleys being the work of the devil! Reminded me to pull my head in!

haha! The BUS????? That's like being CAPTIVE with a group of people!!! My idea of torture! I'm like that myself and yeah, realized after I'd analyzed my little episode in the supermarket car park that I wasn't really cranky with the kid in the car but more cranky with the situation in general. Luckily for me the kid got it.

I rarely catch public transport but I did get bailed up on a ferry ride across Puget Sound by this lady. I thought she'd talk my ear off.
Lol, I actually like it when some old lady talks to me on the bus or wherever (sadly that stuff happens less now I catch the bus less), it brightens up my day.

I don't totally lose it often, but if I do it's also more situational. You should see me at the Footy, I swear, if someone gave me an assault rifle while I was watching a game and getting frustrated over something I'd have about 10 life sentences!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Lol, I actually like it when some old lady talks to me on the bus or wherever (sadly that stuff happens less now I catch the bus less), it brightens up my day.
Me too generally and I'm only kidding about the lady on the ferry.
She offered to take a picture of me and my "husband" and when I explained that MM and I had only just met in person the day before (and that we'd met on the internet) and I'd come across from Australia to meet him well that seemed to set her off! She was really good value but boy could she talk!

Quote:
I don't totally lose it often, but if I do it's also more situational. You should see me at the Footy, I swear, if someone gave me an assault rifle while I was watching a game and getting frustrated over something I'd have about 10 life sentences!
It's a good thing we don't have guns hey?

But I know what you mean. Being out amongst people and interacting isn't always about basic interaction. So much of the time it's about all the other things going on with people in their lives and little things can get blown out of all proportion simply because of frustration and anger that really have nothing to do with the people and the situation you are dealing with. You've only got to look at road rage.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:

But I know what you mean. Being out amongst people and interacting isn't always about basic interaction. So much of the time it's about all the other things going on with people in their lives and little things can get blown out of all proportion simply because of frustration and anger that really have nothing to do with the people and the situation you are dealing with. You've only got to look at road rage.
Road rage is ridiculous...I even don't understand it. Curse words sure, but people actually getting out of their cars to assault each other?

When I'm in a narky mood sometimes I just prefer to be alone and work it out in my own time. Sometimes I don't want someone cheering me up, and if I'm forced into public I won't be all smiles. I'm never nasty to people just because I'm in a rotten mood though; maybe a bit short and impatient, but very rarely hurtful or insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships