Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM

468 posts, read 1,221,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I already did that for him. Here is the vid of Sampston walking down the street. Notice how the people react to him.
I dont see why you want to make fun of the guy. he's either clueless or crazy or needs advice, that's no excuse to be mean. In a way, it kind of proves his point. He's saying everyone's angry towards him and laughing at him. And here you are, laughing at him.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
Obviously you don't want to change and you want to be stubborn or whatever. this guy apparently does want to change and improve his situation. So telling him that he doesn't have to change is not going to help him. You're probably wrong, and you would do better if you changed as well, yes, that means "Go out of YOUR way to make OTHER people comfortable around YOU."
But where is the gain in doing so? A couple of eased egos? A few changed minds? I'm sorry but unless I am downright abrasive and rude to others I don't see the need for personal change. It is much more effective to fully come to grips with the fact that no matter how much shucking and jiving you do there are gonna be nimrods who don't necessarily hold you in high esteem. Those people are not worth my time. Perhaps it is they who need to change.

Quote:
Some people tend to have big happy smiles and some people don't. Guess what. The people with the big happy smiles will be PERCEIVED to be more friendly, and they will have more friends, than the non-smiling, non-friendly people. What you are implying (to exaggerate a little for illustration), is that: "I wasnt born happy and smiling, and I was born intimidating looking, so I aint gonna start looking friendly now, I just wasn't born that way". That's the wrong attitude. I wasn't born knowing how to set a table properly, or a hundred other social graces, and like most people, I learned it along the way. Being smiling & friendly is a social grace. If someone doesn't have it, they should learn it. If they are big & intimidating, then they need to learn it and behave that way much more than anyone else. It is proven over & over again, that life is more about what other people view you as, rather than what you actually are. You can argue all you want, you won't get your same rewards as the next guy. Your looks matter. If you want to call it superficial, then fine, call it that. It is still true. If the original poster is a black dude, then this is even more important, because guess what. Race matters. An asian guy is looked at differently than a black guy. That's life. It's easy to deal with if both guys have a little bit of social skill. It's easy to get past it, so it doesn't matter as much.

Sure, you can insist "I dont want to be superficial or around other superficial people! So I'm not changing!" Guess what. Everyone is superficial. Even parents are superficial to their kids, and bias their opinions on what their kids look like. hey, it's life, big deal, it's no harder to deal with than learning simple social graces. Maybe this original poster guy totally doesn't have a clue because he was raised in a completely wrong way.
Being gregarious for the sake of positive perception is not a moral imperative. I'm no better or worse than the backslapper who makes it a point to exude amiability to everyone he meets. People choose to be superficial and judgmental, and I certainly do not find any reason to accommodate those who would allow themselves to be offended by my presence for the sake of maintaining some vacuous sense of social propriety, especially if it's due to racial bias. Social reservation does not equate to social ineptitude. If I see a cute baby I crack a grin. If someone makes eyes with me as if to greet, I respond accordingly. But going on the offensive for the sake of putting a certain segment of people "at ease" is superfluous and a waste of energy.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM

468 posts, read 1,221,347 times
except he didn't say "certain segment of people". He said "EVERYBODY". So it's obvious, if "nearly everyone" gives him this same response, that he's doing something that's rubbing the wrong way. Not some isolated run in with someone else having a bad day, or a couple people every now & then who are being lame - "everyone".

Old 04-27-2009, 04:05 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Samston,

If you want to be happy you have to do the research yourself and learn about the world. Internalized Racism
That's actually a very good reference. The OP would do well to immerse himself in it. Reps.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPbaby View Post
What she meant was that you have no reason to remain unhappy - you can do something to change that. So, it's good to see you have a plan.

Can you clarify something for me? Are you in school or do you work? I've seen both on this thread. Also, can you explain in detail what is going on with your family? What is so evil about them? Why do you want to disown them?
they're evil. that's just sums it up.
Quote:
You say you live in the Carribbean - are you in a hostile area or something? Is this your place of birth?

On another note; if someone does something to you, you will be responsible for whatever happens if you do something to them. It will be your fault. We are legally responsible for our actions.
OK, so somebody barges into me in public, I feel I hold a right to punch them. I understand how the legal system works, and I wouldn't get a hefty sentence. You do know that barging into somebody is assault in itself, don't you?

And please none of this humble nonsense, why should I be humble? I notice no one has answered my point - if MOST PEOPLE don't get hated on in public, then why me?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,451,290 times
Sam next time someone barges into you in the street, just return the favor by groping them everywhere. You know, as*, boobs, bal*s, everywhere. They just want you to touch them, man.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
I, and many others, see this everyday. Screw 'em. Who cares, you won't know them and they won't know you. Most of these people who stare at someone in public to try and "intimidate" them are just very insecure little useless ignoramuses.

Often times they assume themselves to be better than you, or more good looking than you, but without sharing their type of neanderthal mindset I really can't elaborate much more on their mindstates! I mean, how they come to such "succinct" conclusions about you laced with contempt and scorn so quickly at a glance, God knows, maybe they have a triple degree in shorthand psychoanalysis

When I walk out and about I try and avoid eye contact with anyone unless it is for customer services interactions or with those I am intending to see.
enough of the spirituality please.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Sam next time someone barges into you in the street, just return the favor by groping them everywhere. You know, as*, boobs, bal*s, everywhere. They just want you to touch them, man.
what? I won't be barged and let somebody get away it. It's my right to hit somebody in that case.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,986,148 times
no that is an unsafe suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post

Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
I think you're just paranoid. Total strangers on the street instantly hate you on sight? They then barge in to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships