Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,303,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Sometimes it takes a lot more energy (and anger) to cut someone off than to speak to them now and again.
In my case, the reverse is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,753,203 times
I can understand why some adult children no longer interact with their parents, and they are justified. But I also know adult children who remained rather emotionally infantile, felt extremely entitled and cut off good, kind, loving parents (or one parent), even when the parents or parent reached out to them. These particular people did not fare well in life because they had issues that they had not resolved.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,266,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I can understand why some adult children no longer interact with their parents, and they are justified. But I also know adult children who remained rather emotionally infantile, felt extremely entitled and cut off good, kind, loving parents (or one parent), even when the parents or parent reached out to them. These particular people did not fare well in life because they had issues that they had not resolved.
Of course. Each person and situation is unique and different. Speaking for myself, I'm just saying that I wouldn't automatically red flag a potential significant other just because I just found out that they no longer talked to their parents. I would keep an open mind and give them a chance to explain the back history that led up to the current situation.

In other words, just because someone tells me that they don't talk to their parents any longer, I'm not going to immediately ASSume that they are a terrible person with unresolved emotional issues... as I've found that many parents shouldn't have had children in the first place.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM

Of course not. As I said, many are justified. But a good way to judge is how they treat others.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 PM

52,418 posts, read 52,940,397 times
I just spoke on the phone with my Dad tonight. He told me about his vacation trip recently.

I don't have much in common with him.

Do you guys remember the song "Cats in the Cradle".

Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 PM

I do very well. Harry Chapin. Haunting song.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 PM

52,418 posts, read 52,940,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I do very well. Harry Chapin. Haunting song.

It's odd how life has a way of making you face things.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,053,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm pretty lucky cause I get along with my parents. But over the years, I've dated a number of people who didn't. Many are no longer on speaking terms. I'm wondering what can (and should) you infer from that?

As far as I'm concerned (and I read a few of the other post here) one of the sole reasons why our world is crazy and senseless is because of toxic parents! Grrrrr! People ruin perfectly normal children which then become monster adults ( tall 2 year olds) later on in life!

Some kids get away unaffected, others wind up projecting there pain inward toward themselves (drugs, prostitution ) or outward toward other humans, animals (murder,child abuse).

For me, I tried to date a person who was verbally abused all her life but realized there was just to much Psychological damage that I had to deal with so I had to let her go to save myself.

So for now on I look at people like cars and try to be around people who have been taken care of (emotionally) as I find it makes a difference in there personality and the way I interact with them. Or to further elaborate myself, over the years people who I found that were emotionally stable came from emotionally stable homes and life is just to short to put up with BS from somebody who is unstable especially when there are many stable people to chose from.

Last edited by Morphous01; 05-26-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,595 times
Sometimes people get sick of playing a certain role in that family that wasnt either healthy or helpful. When I became the age to take control of who I wanted to be in my life and how those particular people treated me, the parents didnt make the cut. I still miss them but than remember the other times I just couldnt take it any longer. So- I felt that i came out of that as a person who was able to choose and give myself what my family couldnt. I see the behavior and wont let it repeat on my end. You need to find the reason, because its not always the child.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiminbuffalo View Post
Sometimes people get sick of playing a certain role in that family that wasnt either healthy or helpful. When I became the age to take control of who I wanted to be in my life and how those particular people treated me, the parents didnt make the cut. I still miss them but than remember the other times I just couldnt take it any longer. So- I felt that i came out of that as a person who was able to choose and give myself what my family couldnt. I see the behavior and wont let it repeat on my end. You need to find the reason, because its not always the child.
It sounds as if you're healthy and are doing what you needed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships