Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,717 times

Advertisements

Many of us are forced into social settings with people we do not like but need their cooperation and help to make it in this world. These may include:

The blowhard boss who you need his help to move ahead in your career

Your father in law or mother in law who you despise but act nice to for your spouse

Coworkers you share an office with who are very noisy and unpleasant but you do not want to make waves

Clients and customers who you need to get your job done but expect you to be sociable to them

Neighbors and friends of friends

Regardless of who they are, what techniques do you use to act nice and not let on that you despise them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Pinot Noir.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Many of us are forced into social settings with people we do not like but need their cooperation and help to make it in this world. These may include:

The blowhard boss who you need his help to move ahead in your career

Your father in law or mother in law who you despise but act nice to for your spouse

Coworkers you share an office with who are very noisy and unpleasant but you do not want to make waves

Clients and customers who you need to get your job done but expect you to be sociable to them

Neighbors and friends of friends

Regardless of who they are, what techniques do you use to act nice and not let on that you despise them?
If you allow someone to give you ****, then they will continue to give you **** as long as you know them.

So in the case of people I'll never see again, or personality flaws that do not offend me, I just smile and let it slide. In the case of habitual line-crossers, I try to stick to my guns regardless of the short term consequences or risk.

You ask about "technique", this depends on the reason that you despise the person. I don't despise people because they are my neighbors, or because they expect me to be sociable with them, or any benign reason like that. You mention a blowhard boss, well, you call him on his B.S. If you have noisy co-workers you tell them to be quiet. The solution to these problems is usually simple but difficult.

Last edited by le roi; 06-03-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,344,116 times
I just don't socialize at all.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,333,269 times
With people at work, I remind myself that it's business and not personal. Everywhere, we will run into colleagues who are: incompetent, backbiters, traitors, slackers, or what not. We need to protect ourselves of course, but we also need to learn not to let their nonsense get to us.

I have learned that it is very liberating to be able to leave the stresses and headaches of work, including those caused by pain in the ass coworkers, the moment I stand up and leave for the day. It'll all be there when I come back the next morning; no need to let it affect my personal time.

As for the rest:

- friends of friends I do not like: I make it very clear to my friends that I do not like those friends' friends and will not socialize with them, and also specify I need not be invited if that person/persons are going to be there. If it's someone in my social circle but he/she becomes too annoying/irritating/what not, I cut them off. Clean, one-shot deal, done. No need to go through the aggravation.
- neighbors: I just smile and go my way. I am not particular fond of any of my neighbors and keep to myself; I leave them alone and expect to be treated the same way.
- clients/customers: can't relate as I luckily don't have that now; I did before, so I just smiled, went along, and went home as fast as I could once the engagement was over.
- in-laws: not married.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have one. When I don't like you, you'll pretty much know it because I won't speak to or deal with you unless I necessarily HAVE to. I just cannot act phoney. That's a pet peeve of mine. Can't stand phoney acting folks. Keep it movin' with all that fake actin' mess...

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have one. When I don't like you, you'll pretty much know it because I won't speak to or deal with you unless I necessarily HAVE to. I just cannot act phoney. That's a pet peeve of mine. Can't stand phoney acting folks. Keep it movin' with all that fake actin' mess...
Dealing with people is not fake it sometimes boils down to strategy. There are times when engagement is absolutely necessary and to ignore a person you need to deal with is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Dealing with people is not fake it sometimes boils down to strategy. There are times when engagement is absolutely necessary and to ignore a person you need to deal with is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
You obviously didn't read my post correctly. I said, if I necessarily HAVE to engage, I will. But, it will only be about whatever it is I need them for. That's it.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,184,457 times
I suppose the curious thought here is why do we have to dislike anyone at all. All of us control to a large degree who we share our environment with. Not discounting the fact that there are people we choose not to spend as much time with as we do others. Those are choices we all make daily but to suggest there is a dislike or hatred for those folks I think speaks negativey about us as a society in general. If we could get beyond those or that type of behavior it would be such a nicer world to live in......Just looking at the glass half full I guess

Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You obviously didn't read my post correctly. I said, if I necessarily HAVE to engage, I will. But, it will only be about whatever it is I need them for. That's it.
I read it and was just commenting further, but thank you for pointing out your concern about my lack of comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships