Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times

Advertisements

Are you uncomfortable with people who never speak? I am, and it seems weird and threatening. I have two different relatives on different sides of the family who show up to family events and never say a word to anyone. No smiles, no nods no non verbal communication at all. They just sit there and put in their time. It is like they are not there. Everyone is talking around them and nothing at all comes out of their mouth.

They are in their forties are white males, college educated and speak English as their first language.

Would this be a sign of mental illness? Or is it a deep seeded anger? These two are not shy, or are they quiet, they are completely mute. I know they can talk because they use to years ago. No one seems to bring them up or complain about them, they are maybe to embarrassed. Many they do not exist and I am slowly going insane.

Would someone like this make you uncomfortable? I have tried to engage them in conversation but just get a dirty stare.

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 06-04-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
What is the age of these relatives you speak of?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Are you uncomfortable with people who never speak? I am, and it seems weird and threatening. I have two different relatives on different sides of the family who show up to family events and never say a word to anyone. No smiles, no nods no non verbal communication at all. They just sit there and put in their time. It is like they are not there. Everyone is talking around them and nothing at all comes out of their mouth.

Would this be a sign of mental illness? Or is it a deep seeded anger? These two are not shy, or are they quiet, they are completely mute. I know they can talk because they use to years ago. No one seems to bring them up or complain about them, they are maybe to embarrassed. Many they do not exist and I am slowly going insane.

Would someone like this make you uncomfortable? I have tried to engage them in conversation but just get a dirty stare.
They are better than the funeral relatives, traveler.

I found some of my uncles at my dad's funeral bed, those I hadn't seen in 15 years.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Has your family been in the US for a few generations? If not, maybe their English isn't so hot.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:15 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I hae felt like this in some circles. If you've tried and tried to be part of the gang and continually go unvalued eventually you sort of shut down.
So what's the family role in this? Did anyone ever sincerely care about these two? If not one ever did, even when they were younger, then their response is correct.
If you are willing to really take on the responsiblity of having a long term relationship should you ever get them to "come back" keep trying. If you are only trying to satisfy your curiousity, quit. If you get them to open up and them drop them like everyone else you are only putting another nail in the coffin.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:

They are in their forties are white males, college educated and speak English as their first language.

Sounds like they just don't want to be there. I wouldn't worry about them or go out of my way to make them feel welcomed because they don't put in the effort. I say f**k 'em!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 PM

283 posts, read 738,642 times
My brother in law is like this. He doesn't speak to anyone at family holidays. But, he also just disappears after a little while, so he is not just sitting their mute. I tried to talk with him a few times, but only got cold silence. It is strange.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Welcome, to the modern dysfunctional family. Please enjoy your stay.

P.S. Please don't steal the towels.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM

943 posts, read 2,281,099 times
Quote:

You sure youre not in my family.

I have this cousin who is 21 years old. He just grunts at me. I do not think he has ever said a sentence to me in 20 years of family visits. Acouple years ago, I tried talking to him. {he treats my brother like crap too and doesnt talk to anyone else} and he just grunted at me. I said how are you like college. He has never dated either, and went home every weekend, and doesnt even have one friend. I am the biggest nerd on the planet {Fat, bookworm} and even I had friends in college to go hang out with. Sheesh! Him and his brother and sister, will come to mother's house, eat the food, or used to go to grandmothers, and just SIT AND STARE. But at least the brother and sister will smile, give a few answers to you when asked, he won't, he will just give you dirty look. He is huge too, like 6 foot 6 and 400lbs. {Im not small myself but he towers over me}

I think he is schizoid or something, or maybe he is just a creep. I sometimes wonder does he go home to call friends up, or does he act like this all the time. I do not see him getting a job but somehow he got through college. I think you have to talk a little to get through college dont you? especially for a business degree?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:

leave them be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships