Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times

Advertisements

I'm a pretty conservative Facebook user. I generally use the "real life" rule for people from the past:

If it's someone I'd be happy to see today, I'll friend them. Needless to say, I'll also accept their friend request.

If I wouldn't care about seeing a person today, I won't seek them out, but I'll accept the friend request.

If I actively would not want to see the person, I'll ignore the request.

However, lately, a new category has popped up: people I barely remember. Recently, I've gotten several friend requests from people I went to grammar school and junior high with, and, literally, have no recollection of ever speaking to. I may vaguely recall the name - though in one case, I actually confused her with someone else. But I had no particular relationship with these people, even in passing, and I probably would not recognize them if I ran into them somewhere.

My instinct, which I've followed thus far, is to ignore these friend requests. What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
I might would accept but would limit how much of my profile they could see. Who knows they could turn out to be helpful later.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 AM

350 posts, read 4,158,819 times
I only have 30 friends on Facebook, and I keep my Facebook friends to people I actually want to have some sort of relationship with. I have ignored some friend requests I've gotten, from people I barely knew or people I had no interest in being Facebook friends with, including an ex-boyfriend. I don't see anything wrong with keeping your friend list small and meaningful.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
There are people who accept requests from everyone. They're more concerned with collecting as many friends as they can. They do the same with Twitter. You have to wonder about people like this. Why do they need to have so many friends or followers? I made the mistake of accepting requests from people I barely knew. Nowadays, I barely use Facebook so it's a moot point. But if I ever start using it again, I won't add friends unless they're people I'd actually want to meet in real life.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

596 posts, read 889,865 times
Not to change the subject, but since this is about Facebook....

How would you feel about someone posting pics of you on their Facebook page without your consent. For instance, I recently visited some cousins. I know my siblings would love to see their updated pictures and Facebook would be the easier way to accomplish that. Would it be wrong for me to post these pics without getting consent from each one of my cousins?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Not to change the subject, but since this is about Facebook....

How would you feel about someone posting pics of you on their Facebook page without your consent. For instance, I recently visited some cousins. I know my siblings would love to see their updated pictures and Facebook would be the easier way to accomplish that. Would it be wrong for me to post these pics without getting consent from each one of my cousins?
I don't see any problem with this as long as the photos aren't incriminating or embarrassing. However, if you're afraid they don't want the photos on facebook, just send them a message asking if they're ok with the pictures.

As for the original post: I remember when facebook first came out my freshman year of college and I only had people I knew personally as friends. However, I started to get requests from a ton of people I had never even really talked to. The most annoying was a girl a grade below me who didn't even make eye contact with me when I walked past her in the dorm hallway.

I remedied the situation by deleting all the friends I wouldn't care to talk to in person.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:48 PM

306 posts, read 531,017 times
I think you should accept. Why be so closed off if you have no reason to dislike them? It could be a start of a beautiful new friendship.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I just got another friend invite from a gal I had dated briefly five years ago and who had jerked me around a few times, hence I don't bother with her. Plus she lives in another country that I visit frequently but I have no interest in seeing her. I deleted the request.

To me if it's not someone I speak to semi frequently or plan to see in the future, I delete or deny. Can't see the point in having random people have access to my personal info.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,918 times
I generally accept people if I cannot think of a reason not to. Old classmates usually just lead to a few jokes from the past and a passing whats up, no big deal. The people I worry about more are coworkers and people I actually see in my day to day life.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
I call those people friend collectors. I have about 40 friends on FB. I accepted to be someone's FB friend really thinking that they want to "be friends", "hang out" on occasion, whatever. But I realized I was one of 300 friends. She never responds to my messages, status updates or anything. Honestly, I feel totally snubbed by her and she was the one who befriended me. I just think some people just want to have as many people as they can read about their stupid updates, so narcassistic if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships