Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,958,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
While its possible that a 50 yr old guy would be friends with a woman half his age, the more realistic thing is that he likes her and wants to be more then friends.

I'm sure people have already said this. I'm basically 40 yrs old, and no offense to women in there 20's but I pretty much wouldn't be hanging out with a 25 yrs woman. Im sure the OP is a nice and friendly person, but being 10 yrs younger then the guy she talks about. Unless we really had a lot in common, I just can't see being friends with a 25 yrs woman.

Well, that's why I'm friends with people mostly older than I am--I'm a lot more into things than they are; such as music, movies, styles, etc. For example, I can have an hour long conversation about oldies music, but can only talk about today's pop for about 2 minutes and then I won't have anything more to say. I find it difficult finding things in common with those in their 20s.

You would seriously think I was born in the wrong decade. My family has always told me that. I find myself saying often, "Things today aren't like they were years ago" even though I wasn't around in, say, the 60s lol. Just based on novels I've read and documentaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
the issue is not the age its the ring.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well, that's why I'm friends with people mostly older than I am--I'm a lot more into things than they are; such as music, movies, styles, etc. For example, I can have an hour conversation about oldies music, but can only talk about today's pop for about 2 minutes and then I won't have anything more to say. I find it difficult finding things in common with those in their 20s.
I know you said that you're an old soul and that you feel comfortable around older people, why don't you and the new hubby find some people your age and see how that goes.

BTW, I'm a lot like you, when I was a kid I always hung around the adults, cause I couldn't stand "kids", I've always been around people older than me.

So I know what you're saying.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I know you said that you're an old soul and that you feel comfortable around older people, why don't you and the new hubby find some people your age and see how that goes.

BTW, I'm a lot like you, when I was a kid I always hung around the adults, cause I couldn't stand "kids", I've always been around people older than me.

So I know what you're saying.

There's really only one friend my age who I have lots in common with and can talk for hours, like the way I am with those older. Glad you know what I mean

Alright, I've went off-topic enough lol. Back to topic

Last edited by Rachael84; 08-07-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the issue is not the age its the ring.

Well, wouldn't it make no difference if you're engaged vs. married? It's nearly the same thing.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,925,635 times
I'd be afraid to be friends with you. You carry a BIG stick!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
I've been thinking about what the OP wrote, and I think that if the 50 yrs old guys would have been more of a "mentor" type of figure then the "friendship" might work more.

The whole mentor/friend thing makes more sense in that a man his age can impart some wisdom, as guys like to feel useful. We don't sit around and talk about the same things that women do. Not bad,just a little different.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,253,571 times
At my age I'd be more interested in your 1933 Packard.

But You are a nice looking YOUNG lady..

And My wife would kill me...

But if you every get down to Texas I'd be glad to buy you and your husband a cup of coffee...

Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I've been thinking about what the OP wrote, and I think that if the 50 yrs old guys would have been more of a "mentor" type of figure then the "friendship" might work more.

The whole mentor/friend thing makes more sense in that a man his age can impart some wisdom, as guys like to feel useful. We don't sit around and talk about the same things that women do. Not bad,just a little different.

That's when friendships with older men work out. When it's mostly talking about things we have in common, then I don't know. That's what it was like with this guy. He wasn't like my other guy friend old enough to be my parent, who would give advice and wisdom to me..kind of acting as another dad in a way. Does that make any sense?? lol

Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
At my age I'd be more interested in your 1933 Packard.
lol well that's not my car (I wish!! See what I mean by I'm old fashioned? ). Thanks for the offer, but I love my husband too much to be more than friends with another guy, as you can see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships