Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times

Advertisements

How do you make new friends, not just people you meet but real friends. I have spent my life taking care of kids and spending the rest of the time with relatives. Now with most of the relatives gone and having lost contact with friends many years ago, I find myself wanting to meet new friends. Its hard, I am over 40 with 3 young children and 2 grown. The people I meet at my kids school and preschool are younger and the people I meet over 40 have grown kids. We have neighbors we visit but I want the person you can talk to on the phone for hours. I miss that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 AM

443 posts, read 1,793,780 times
All of my friends I have met through chance. We met a good couple when my wife was picking up riders at the park and ride. I met another good friend of mine after he got in a fight with another friend of mine. Some are good work friends. You probably have someone right under your nose and don't even realize it.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM

865 posts, read 2,432,833 times
I will be in the same situation when I move back to the US. I'm in my mid 40s, and have 3 young kids, and will be moving to a new area for us. Personally, I just plan on doing what I've always done to meet people - do the activities that I enjoy, and talk to everyone.

I like to work out, and even tho you may not get "big conversations" at the gym, I do find that if you go at a regular schedule, you'll see the same people over and over, and eventually you'll talk. I plan on joining a hiking club (which I enjoy doing)~I'm sure there's all ages doing that. I plan on going back to work part time, where I'll meet more people. And of course, people in the neighborhood, and the parents of your kids' friends/schoolmates.

The thing is, you have to be open to meeting anyone and everyone. Yes, it's true, that people our age often seem a little out of place when dropping the kids off at elem. school, but you know, even if you meet people younger or older....it's all good! Why put an age limit on it? Plus, some of these people surely will have friends/family that may click with you even better, you never know.

Btw, most people are not able to spend hours chatting on the phone, esp. if they are working and have kids. You may be able to go out for coffee, and you can get your chatting in that way. Otherwise, I think you're going to find few people that will fit that bill. Good luck and have fun!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
Have you tried looking into joining a group? Maybe you have a hobby you've always wanted to explore? Also, you said you have kids at home still, certainly when you drop them at the bus stop or school other Moms are doing the same, so take that opportunity to chat and make a joke, it will put everyone at ease and will get the conversation going. I don't know how many moms though these days have time to talk on the phone for hours and maybe that's something you might have to give up and trade for less time on the phone and maybe do some play dates with the smaller kids.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
I didn't mean I had to talk for hours, its just someone that you are close enough too, that you could.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Well, for starters, you should've "met" them, even if virtually, at least once. That's the reason I turned down your friend request. Nothing personal, but I don't befriend people I've never talked with who have 1 post to their names.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:04 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinMN View Post
How do you make new friends, not just people you meet but real friends. I have spent my life taking care of kids and spending the rest of the time with relatives. Now with most of the relatives gone and having lost contact with friends many years ago, I find myself wanting to meet new friends. Its hard, I am over 40 with 3 young children and 2 grown. The people I meet at my kids school and preschool are younger and the people I meet over 40 have grown kids. We have neighbors we visit but I want the person you can talk to on the phone for hours. I miss that.

What's wrong with reaching back into your past, old friends from HS, college, grade school even, and even if long distance? The connections that we make as kids are strong.

PS ... Sorry about the Vikes!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:14 PM

9,631 posts, read 820,564 times
In my opinion age difference doesn't matter if you want to be friends with somebody, I have a 53 year friend, his English sucks, mine is also not brilliant.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,885 times
[quote=andreaspercheron;12604650]Have you tried looking into joining a group? Maybe you have a hobby you've always wanted to explore?

Check Meetup.com by your zip code and areas of interest, it's a great way to meet interesting people to consider as friends now.

I tried the past friends recycling thing, it didn't really work.
In time people move in different directions.

Start with right now, it's the only and best place ever.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,976 times
[quote=learningCA;12605864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Have you tried looking into joining a group? Maybe you have a hobby you've always wanted to explore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post

Check Meetup.com by your zip code and areas of interest, it's a great way to meet interesting people to consider as friends now.

I tried the past friends recycling thing, it didn't really work.
In time people move in different directions.

Start with right now, it's the only and best place ever.
Sometimes it does. I've seen both first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships