Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:22 PM

786 posts, read 4,734,240 times

Advertisements

I know alot of people who spend alot of time in friendly social engagements with their brothers and sisters but do not really have anything in common except they are family. If that same person was not related they would not have anything to say to each other and would surely not be friendly.

Are you sociable with your brothers and sisters? If so, is it because he or she is family or do you really enjoy their company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 02:27 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,639 times
My brother lives about 3 and a half hours from me, and my 3 sisters live in the same city as I do. My brother and I are like best friends and always have been, so if he weren't my brother he would still be my best friend. I love my sisters dearly, but if they weren't family I probably wouldn't be weekly friends with them I don't think..but who knows.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
If you asked me this 8 years ago I'd answer yes - because growing up we were just two utterly different people - we didn't pump heads or anything - just two different lifestyles

Since we've both had kids however we are no closer - or at least closer then we used to be. We still live acorss the country from each other so we don't see each other but once a year

Plus I think we talke on the phone only a handful of times a year too - not muchbetween us - but no longer pumping heads.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,609 times
I'm socialize with my family only because they are my family. If I wasn't related to them, I would most likely never talk to them. Oddly don't have anything in common with my family.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Yes, I absolutely have a lot in common with my brother and do socialize with him. He is my friend. We had another brother who was hit head-on and killed 7 years ago. We miss him terribly and because we have this shared experience, our bonds - both as siblings and as friends - has grown very, very strong. My brother is like a total comedian, so there is never a dull moment with him. I too am somewhat of a nut myself. We are also car fanatics. He is a Ford boy and I'm a Mopar girl. He doesn't dance, but he has agreed to let me drag him off to a dance. He's at the point now where he wants to meet a nice gal and possibly get married. I tried to talk him out of that nonsense, but he's ready. He's 40, so I guess it's time.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
The older I get, the better I like my family, and the more tolerant I've become of their peculiarities. It seems to have worked both ways. We are closer now than we were 20 years ago.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,840,547 times
Interesting time for this post---- I'm in my mid 30s and I have three younger sisters- the youngest is a half sister and only 17 years old. Due to an ugly divorce between our common parent and her other one, I had no contact with her for the last 9 years. We re-established contact a couple of months ago and I visited her for the first time this weekend.

She just graduated from high school and she is so much like me it's uncanny. My other two sisters are nothing like me- we have different interests, different attitudes and values and not much in common at all. However this one who I haven't seen for so long is practically a mini me. I know it's odd to see a resemblance to yourself in another person, but she looks like me- some of her gestures and expressions I recognize as my own.

And when we talked about things- silly things like songs, music taste, artists, celebrities, we had the same opinions, likes and dislikes. Her collection of books mirrors my own. Her favorite television shows and movies match my own. She even uses the same toothpaste as me (and it's not a common choice).

Her high school experience was similar to mine. She had the same level of achievement that I had almost 20 years ago, and aspires to the same career that I did at that time.

It's amazing to me that we found so much in common considering the age difference and the long period of time we were apart. But we were practically able to finish each other's sentences within 24 hours of being reunited.

Not trying to toot my own horn since I've just pointed out our similarities, but she is WONDERFUL and I'm so proud of her!!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
I have two biological brothers and one adopted brother and one adopted sister.

I would be friendly with one of my biological brothers even if we were not related...even though we were not raised together, we have alot in common, our brains work in the same way.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:23 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
I had 5 siblings-one sister and four brothers. We always got along as kids,but as we grew older, time and distance changed that. My 2nd to the youngest brother was in the same line as work as me. By chance,in 1989, we worked on the same job in northern Minnesota. He and I lived together and after two months,his new bride and their three month old daughter came to live with us. It was the best time of my life- without children I could hold and cherish my time with them. My sister-in-law became as close as a family member.It was the best of times and after the job I made sure that every time they visited my parents ,I'd jump on a plane and spend time with them. Along came another daughter and we spent every vacation together. This continued until 2002 and then Andy was diagnosed with A.L.S. Two years and two months later he died. A part of me went with him. I long to see his smile. I truly miss my brother.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 AM

485 posts, read 1,648,748 times
About 10 years ago my brother and I were very close. He would come over to my house for supper most nights because he always thought I was the best cook. It was like he was part of my new family(husband, and kids) as he had been when I lived at home with my parents. Now we don't speak. At family gatherings we ignore each other, if I even show up. When I know he will be there I sometimes stay away. My sister and I get along, but I can go weeks without speaking to her. I guess my answer is I'm not sociable with my brother and I probably wouldn't be with my sister if she weren't family. I do however have a wonderful variety of truly great friends who I consider as close to me as my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships