Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 PM

32 posts, read 97,717 times

Advertisements

I have lived here all my life and I disagree with people who say North Carolina is like a northern state now and that no one has southern accents anymore. Correction: do not did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,020 times
There are a lot of people who still have the southern accent, at least where I work. I think the "deeper" you go into NC, the more of the accent you find. Places like Asheville are where you'll have to explore to find someone with a true southern accent. They say NC is like a northern state because so many people from all over move here. I moved here from Wisconsin, so I can pick up a southern accent instantly. My co-workers have fun with me because I say words differently, it's all in good fun. I find it amazing that a complete accent change can be found just within a thousand miles. I love the accent, and I get along great with most people, but they must be able to take and give sarcasm or else we'll never get along haha.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,948 times
That's just yankees all butthurt because they come here only to find out it isn't Mayberry.

I guess there's some upset good ol' boys too, but they shop at Target like everyone else.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I do think there is a nugget of truth re: expectations of Mayberry, though.

It isn't restricted to northerners who move here. I see it with all sorts of people who relocate here.

People complain about the lack of genuine Southern hospitality, that type of thing.

It's almost laughable because the most frequent complainers are from areas I have visited that seem fully devoid of any sort of hospitality. So, why they expect people to be on their porches with a gallon of sweet tea and a coconut cake as soon as they arrive is most puzzling.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
I've never understood why people from out of state are surprised NC actually has a large city.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,422,669 times
North Carolina is not Alabama. It's not even Georgia. It is North Carolina, uniquely so. Accept it as it is.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM

910 posts, read 1,318,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It's almost laughable because the most frequent complainers are from areas I have visited that seem fully devoid of any sort of hospitality. So, why they expect people to be on their porches with a gallon of sweet tea and a coconut cake as soon as they arrive is most puzzling.
Yeah, it's always baffled me where these people get the notion that it's 24/7 Gone With The Wind below the 39th parallel. Then again the way much of the region sells itself I guess that's to be expected.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
I have lived here all my life and I disagree with people who say North Carolina is like a northern state now and that no one has southern accents anymore. Correction: do not did.
I guess it depends on where in North Carolina you're living.

In Wilmington, Raleigh, or Asheville -- yes, things have changed. Things have changed dramatically. There is no way you could've lived in one of those cities for the past 30 years and not seen it. Here in Wilmington it's rare to hear a southern accent.

On the other hand, if you lived somewhere like.. Rockingham.. then yeah, things are still very southern.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Yeah, it's always baffled me where these people get the notion that it's 24/7 Gone With The Wind below the 39th parallel. Then again the way much of the region sells itself I guess that's to be expected.
People sure love those media stereotypes! In their mind, everything they think they know about the south they learned from watching an episode of In The Heat of the Night, The Andy Griffith Show, or Hee Haw!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
North Carolina is the most progressive state in the South after Florida but southern charm can still be found all over the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina