Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM

13 posts, read 36,430 times

Advertisements

Not sure how to ask but what do people think of North Carolina? maybe people that have been or visited but dont live here.

I`m odd everytime I go somewhere I think WOW this place is a lot better! haha. I live in Rutherfordton,NC if anyone knows where it is in Western NC. I DO LOVE eastern NC though its like an entirely different state to me. And hopefully moving towards that way in the next year or so.

I was just curious of what people think of NC cause I personally dont like it

If you can how would you compare it to Other states and or cities?

EDIT: Also is it just me and my OCD or does the Air seem cleaner on the coast of NC than it does here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
I'm from the coast and I notice a different in the air quality and the way the sky looks in general (brighter) on the coast. Sea breeze makes the air less stifling and humid than further inland as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM

124 posts, read 242,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
Not sure how to ask but what do people think of North Carolina? maybe people that have been or visited but dont live here.

I`m odd everytime I go somewhere I think WOW this place is a lot better! haha. I live in Rutherfordton,NC if anyone knows where it is in Western NC. I DO LOVE eastern NC though its like an entirely different state to me. And hopefully moving towards that way in the next year or so.

I was just curious of what people think of NC cause I personally dont like it

If you can how would you compare it to Other states and or cities?

EDIT: Also is it just me and my OCD or does the Air seem cleaner on the coast of NC than it does here?
Thank you for starting this thread hyelton It's funny because 2 days ago I was trying to figure out how I could ask the same question on the NC forum without offending everybody from NC. I was born and raised in this state 40 years ago and over the last 10 years have been thinking about and researching how to get out of here. I now have a grandchild and I don't want her to grow up here. I know, I know...we have great weather, 4 seasons, beaches and mountains, lower taxes then some other states( you get what you pay for..) but there are alot of negatives in this state in my opinion.

So to those of you who visit here or have moved here from other states...what do you think of NC. How does it really compare to other states. Did you move here and now regret it and why? Have you lived in other states and now wish you could get out of here and go back to the one you liked best? What did you like about the other state? Did you come visit our great state and think " Oh no I wouldn't live here"..what made you think that? I don't want to bash NC. I just would like to hear some honest opinions from people that know more about other states because Ive only lived in this one.

hyelton..I live in the Piedmont and yes the air seems cleaner on the coast and the sky more Carolina Blue

Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You might want to post this thread in the General US forum to get more responses from people outside of NC. I'm not sure how many non-NC-ers come to the NC forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/

Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Maybe it's because you live in Rutherfordton?

Just a guess.

I do live in NC, and I travel out of state fairly often. I see things I like better in other states, but nothing that makes me think another state is totally better. Just different.

Move to the coast, if you prefer it.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Can only speak for the Coast of NC, but I concur it is a different place...certainly different than the Mountains of NC.

To be honest, except for job prospects, the Piedmont (unless you are in uptown Charlotte) seems very mundane. The best thing about that area is that there are a lot of nice subdivisions...but in many respects it just feels like one big subdivision. I laugh when Our State tries to make something of communities in the Piedmont. It just seems like one big speculative area, where developers are just trying to build the next project....or if you are in an area already built, you are left out and looked down on.

I think the East is developing slowly but surely and still retains lifestyle qualities...heading to the beach, getting out on the water, eating seasonal foods including different crops and seafood. Its funny to me that that lifestyle is all the rage...and its always existed in eastern NC...chain restaurants are not so cool anymore...living off the land is. Of Course WNC also believes in the same ideal, but has a different environment to do it.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
Hi, I moved to the Piedmont area of North Carolina three years ago from the Western US. Folks are ok here, but I feel that there is a lot of prejudice people here. Generally speaking many people here are slow to accept people with ideas that are different than their own viewpoint. It's been especially hard for my young daughter to make friends here. There just isn't a lot for young people to do here. I am going to move soon, as it just isn't happening for us here! Sorry if I offended anyone, but this is a forum for posting your own opinions.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
Some people are always going to have the "grass is always greener" disease. I don't know if there's any cure for it, other than trying to live a lifestyle that allows you to pack up and move every couple of years once you get sick of your current surroundings.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
I could have moved anywhere in NC when I left Charlotte. I chose New Bern and the coast. After five years, I now wish I had chosen the mountains. I like variation in altitude, the crystal clear running water, and the trees much better.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,870 times
My spouse is from the Triad and I tried my best to get him to return after military retirement. We even made a special trip to see his favorite teams play ball (I was a booster club). He still didn't want to do it because of the old set ways of slow to change and racism. I wanted to move there for our little one who is an equestrian (college/scholarship) and to be near his family AND a slower pace of life.

I'm a west coast girl and this is where he retired to. I'm glad to be back on this side of the block just because it feels like fresh air with no humidity, lots of diversity and open-minded opportunities. Every place has trade offs. Maybe you should start off by vacationing in random places to experience what this country has to offer. Sounds like NC is in a political mess right now. Hopefully everyone will benefit from this new government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina