Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:22 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,166,768 times

Advertisements

Must put my 2 cents in. I agree. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. I think nothing less of the people who build our buildings in the hot sun 10 hours a day , than the architecs that draw the plans. (for example).
My husband is a heavy timber specialtist. Big name for specialized construction worker. He has a high school education, and has worked hard to become one of the top men at his company. He has recieved many awards for his work here in South Florida. Sometimes,(now don't get offended) I think it take a bigger person to get up everyday @ 4:30 am and work in the hot sun all day. His job is sometimes, or alot of the time, very dangerous. Some of his work has been done for people like Dan Marino to the president. Even though it is a blue collar job, he is extremely proud of his work and settles for nothing but perfection.
We have a very strong compassion to help anyone who needs it, if we can. Having never met most of our current neighbors, after hurricane Wilma kicked our butts last year, the first thing we did was grab the chainsaw and walked to the end of the block. Just started cutting trees out of peoples driveways and off of houses. Even took pictures before hand if needed. By the time we got half way down the block, we had all of the neighbors helping out and getting to know one another. Made coffee and delivered it around 2 blocks a few mornings, ran extention cords to neighbor who didn't have a generator, and later helped place tarps on older folks homes that could not do it themselves. Although offered, we never took 1 red cent. Even drove 2 hour to help an Aunt and Uncle cut down 3-200ft. Australain Pines.
The only neighbor who hid in his house, later that day, ended up calling the police because we had a generator and he didn't like the noise. Well he had one also, and so did everybody. He even went as far as tearing down his own fence because of the generator, why you ask.... got me. You would think that the fence would be a barier for the noise ? Now on a day after a catastrophe, do you think the cops have something better to do?
Redneck...? do we fit into that catagory, well just maybe. But I know more than enough people have appreciated us to the point we will never change. Its just what we do. Without thinking twice.
Again "it takes all kind to make the world go round"

Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 AM

34 posts, read 110,749 times
As someone old enough to remember lynchings and Jim Crow, I find Southern racism scarier, even though racism is alive and well everywhere.

It was frightening to witness--as I stood by--a neighbor stop mowing his lawn, cross his arms, stare, and say out loud, "Well, well, well, what have we here," this in response to the sight of 3 black kids walking down the street of our white neighborhood.

It made me picture white hoods, burning crosses, and those kids hanging from trees.

In other parts of the country I don't get that palpable fear when someone behaves in a racist manner. I'm much more comfortable speaking up. At least in NJ, they won't pull a legal, concealed weapon and shoot me!

Maybe the younger generation in the New South is able to feel differently about this issue because they're lucky not to have the historical memory.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:22 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,489,574 times
exjerseyite, I'm not really sure that I understand your perspective. I've never seen or heard of any hangings or burning crosses in my lifetime. About once a year you'll see an article in the newspaper regarding the KKK, with a photo of 15 people at a rally with about 20 policemen.

I just mean that in the past 45 years, things have changed quite a bit. And in the past 15 years, they've continued to change. So lynchings, the KKK, and Jim Crow laws are not exactly a contemporary subject, and I wouldn't say that it's reasonable to think that sort of violence still goes on.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,090,580 times
OK, this thread is almost pointless. The previous post about KKK and cross burnings is just ridiculous. Racism works both ways too. Did you know there are white, black, and latino supremacist groups in Charlotte? Do you ever hear about them? I dont. I know a couple of years ago in Ft Bragg many black soldiers found swastikas painted on their barracks doors. Know who the suspect turned out to be? A black man who didnt like the other soldiers for some reason spray painted the swastikas.

Give this thing a rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina