Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 01:23 AM

5 posts, read 23,775 times

Advertisements

Hello! I´m a spaniard moving to NC (so I apologize for future mistakes in my english!). I have an offer for a job in Robeson county as a high school teacher. I am very concern about where would I live and what kind of people would I meet there...
I know it´s going to be a shock culture but I want to ensure I can get use to it!!
I would appreciate any feedback. I have read some dissuading post about going to live there...
Thank you

Last edited by sherillgim; 06-23-2007 at 01:32 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 AM

177 posts, read 971,416 times
Do you currently live in Spain or in the U.S.? The reason I ask is because for you to understand what Robeson County is like you need to be able to compare it to an area that you are familiar with.

DO A LOT OF RESEARCH.

And just for your benefit, Robeson is pronounced ( 'rob uh sun ). Non-locals pronounce it ( 'robe uh sun ).

Old 06-24-2007, 09:06 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
Robeson County is home to the Lumbeee people, North Carolina's largest Indian group. While Robeson County would be culture shock to many folks *from* North Carolina, it is also a quintessentially NC, southern and Indian place---and it can be an amazing place to experience.

Personally, I think it is one of the more interesting places in the state. There are economic troubles, crime, and challenges for folks in transitioning from agricultural to other work. Lumbees are also involved in a long battle to achieve federal recognition (would would result in more federal dollars being available to develop the tribal area). Environmentally, it is an interesting area that is part of the old long leaf pine forest/savannah. It is one of the poorer counties in NC (and borders other poor counties).

Read up on Lumbee history and the tri-racial history of the state (American Indian, African and European). Learning more about the place of tobacco in NC history is also really helpful for understanding the area. The tobacco buy out has had a huge effect on farmining in the state and area.

Many Lumbees are fairly cautious about getting connected to "outsiders". It is probably fair to say that it is a tight and somewhat closed community. But you will be teaching in the midst of it and will likely find that if you act with warmth and love towards your students, you will be embraced by their families, too.

Thanks for coming to rural NC to teach--we need you!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Thank you very much for your reply!!!
I am doing a lot of research, to get to know the area and the people...Looking at the schools websites and cities arround Rowland.

I´m still here, in Spain. I live in a little town on the coast, on the East side of Spain called Benicassim. I am doing some research also to find possible places to live...any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help and for responding that quick!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherillgim View Post
Thank you very much for your reply!!!
I am doing a lot of research, to get to know the area and the people...Looking at the schools websites and cities arround Rowland.

I´m still here, in Spain. I live in a little town on the coast, on the East side of Spain called Benicassim. I am doing some research also to find possible places to live...any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help and for responding that quick!
Benicassim looks beautiful. Are you sure you want to leave that beauty?

All of the towns in the area you are researching are small, very rural with not many things to do in the general areas. It is mostly flat and a lot of sandy soil (the coast is 1.5 to 2 hours away), but you're used to the sand living on the coast.

Research all of the related town's websites, and as many pictures as possible. Also, any articles about these towns. Of course, the city-data site can give you a lot of statistics.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:12 PM

Thank u!
The thing is, city-data statistics are scary!! Should I be scared? Isn´t the area safe?

Old 06-24-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherillgim View Post
Thank u!
The thing is, city-data statistics are scary!! Should I be scared? Isn´t the area safe?
Crime is everywhere no matter the size of the town. Generally, the larger the population the more crime you're going to have...there's just a higher influx of people that are up to no good. That's anywhere you go.

Also, areas that are "poorer" (be it the town itself or a neighborhood) tend to have more crime. A lot of these towns are depressed and that can add to crime. Crime can and does happen but don't worry that someone is going to assault you every time you walk out your door, its not quite like that. There's some good people in that area.

The thing is to learn not to judge someone by their appearance, and don't believe all the stereotypes you might see on television, etc.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 AM

Appreciate your help, jlrich.

I am an open minded person, but also traveliving alone, that´s it!

I really want to live the experience of working in the States and get to know the culture and the country.

After searching towns and cities on the internet, it may be interesting Lumberton. It is not too small, and close to Fayetteville (which is bigger and has an airport).

Let´s see....

Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 PM

30 posts, read 121,670 times
Hi. My family is moving to NC from Michigan on July 1st. My wife will be a 2nd grade teacher in Lumberton but we will live in Hope Mills (just S. of Fayetteville). We just liked Hope Mills a lot better than Lumberton and it's only 26 miles away.

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2007, 03:38 AM

Default where should I live?

I´ll be there (NC) the 12th of august. I´ll be working in a small town called Rowland and so Lumberton seems to be a good place to live. Hope Mills will be...43 miles from work...I guess I´ll check both areas as soon as I get there. Also read some things about dense trafic getting out of Hope Mills.
Thank´s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina