Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of "Raleigh" sub-forum to create?
Raleigh only 1 2.44%
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill 7 17.07%
Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary/other suburbs 33 80.49%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:04 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,744,358 times

Advertisements

What type of Raleigh sub-forum to create? Revised to add a new option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 06:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
If it was a choice, I would vote for Raleigh-Durham Metro Area. It's short, sweet and complete. The two cities of Raleigh and Durham are by far the largest in the area, and the term "Metro" would include all of the lesser population centers located outside of the city limits.

The same goes for the Charlotte Forum, Charlotte Metro Area.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-13-2006 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-13-2006, 07:06 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
If it was a choice, I would vote for Raleigh-Durham Metro Area.

The cities of Raleigh and Durham are by far the largest in the area, and the term "Metro" would include all of the lesser population centers outside of the city limits.
I go for Raleigh, Durham, Cary and other suburbs. We may know what the Raleigh Durham "metro area" includes and it may be short and sweet to us, but a lot of new people don't know what the Raleigh/ Durham "metro area" includes.

Just keeping my eye on the goal of people not having to answer the same questions over and over.

It seems like a tidier forum to fit them in, Raleigh, Durham and surrounding suburbs. I also agree with whoever suggested in the thread re: the previous poll about having a permanent Administrator post at the top of each forum that states that all posts about a certain forum belong in that forum, along with a permanent link directing them there.

Cassie

Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,739 times
I'd vote for "RDU/Triangle" forum or something to that effect.

Technically, the Triangle area is known as "Raleigh, Durham, and Cary" due to the fact that Cary now has a higher population than Chapel Hill -- apparently due to its notioriety as one of the "best places in the US to live" (though I'd personally disagree). Chapel Hill is still noted as the third point in the Triangle by many, however, due to UNC and its prominence in the region.

The longer you live in the area, the more you realize how much the cities have less of a distinct identity and more of a collective identity with the other "points of the Triangle". To that end, I'd strongly suggest referring to the region and not just a city or two.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC
I'd vote for "RDU/Triangle" forum or something to that effect.

Technically, the Triangle area is known as "Raleigh, Durham, and Cary" due to the fact that Cary now has a higher population than Chapel Hill -- apparently due to its notioriety as one of the "best places in the US to live" (though I'd personally disagree). Chapel Hill is still noted as the third point in the Triangle by many, however, due to UNC and its prominence in the region.

The longer you live in the area, the more you realize how much the cities have less of a distinct identity and more of a collective identity with the other "points of the Triangle". To that end, I'd strongly suggest referring to the region and not just a city or two.
It is interesting how the term "Triangle" has evolved over the decades. Originally, it wasn't even about the cities of Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill, only the 3 university campuses.

However, the terms "Triangle" and "Triad" are pretty meaningless to those new, out-of-state readers of this forum who are unfamiliar with the state of North Carolina.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:54 PM

136 posts, read 751,740 times
I'd vote for a Raleigh metro area as well. BEcause there are a lot of towns in that area that are booming: Clayton, Apex, Durham, Garner, ect. That would be benneficial to others.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:09 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
It is interesting how the term "Triangle" has evolved over the decades. Originally, it wasn't even about the cities of Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill, only the 3 university campuses.
Correct..it's this fact that will forever frustrate Cary fans....cuz since they don't have a university, no matter how "bigger" they are compared to Chapel Hill, the Triangle is still Raleigh/Durham/ChapelHill, and that's just the way it'll continue to be.
(Although a few years ago a few area boosters tried to use the counties: Wake/Durham/Orange to define the Triangle...but that never really took off.)

So I guess my vote would be for the second option. The third is ok too...but definitely not the "raleigh only" option.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,676 times
Beat's me.. Like someone said us out of stater's don't know much about what town is in what section, Triad, Triangle, Raleigh, It could be a bit confusing. Whatever you put on the forum is fine with me.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 AM

23 posts, read 62,183 times
I'd go for Raleigh Metro.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 AM

676 posts, read 3,075,977 times
I am not sure if newcomers would know NC by Piedmont, Coastal and Mountains, but it seems like there are 3 distinct sections of NC and it would be nice to include them all. Maybe after each section put an example of a city in the region to let people know Raleigh is Piedmont, Asheville is Mountains, Wilimington is Coastal, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina