Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Charlotte is called "murder city"??? By whom? In all my many years of living here that is a term I have NEVER heard.

Some of you troublemakers/trolls crack me up - at least TRY to be a little more realistic in your attempts to slander the city - this one is just silly.

For anyone reading this post from a place far enough away that you don't know anything about Charlotte, things here are not as this poster would have you believe. Please see thru the bs.
Well said. I hesitate to even respond....I just find it interesting that people who do not live in Charlotte have such strong opinions about it. "Murder City" "Baghdad USA".

Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte is called "murder city"??? By whom? In all my many years of living here that is a term I have NEVER heard.

Some of you troublemakers/trolls crack me up - at least TRY to be a little more realistic in your attempts to slander the city - this one is just silly.

For anyone reading this post from a place far enough away that you don't know anything about Charlotte, things here are not as this poster would have you believe. Please see thru the bs.
Just for your reference - Check out the CMS Library or cmstory.org web site - Under Charlotte history

And I quote"
"In 1959, 33 people were murdered here. This set a record topped only in 1940, when the Queen City became known as 'the murder city' of America.
"Harassed policemen investigated a total 46 murders in that year."

And again, you and others in this thread should be a little more open minded - And read other peoples postings completely before you fly out at them with name calling...If you read my posts, I am far from a racist, nor do I have anything against Charlotte itself. If anything, I present ideas for people to think - And, if I (or anyone else on this forum) are right or wrong, At least respond intelligently - Name calling shows a lack of ability to objectively discuss any matter.

And, by the way...When I realize that I did state something wrong, or someone points out facts that show otherwise, I acknowledge it...This forum would certainly be better if others did the same....

Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
This is a perspective of the 4th of July here in North Carolina.

It may not mean much to many - But, to those of you looking to move here, it may give you some perspective on life here.

Part 1 of the day:

We left the house a about 6 AM, to get a picnic spot at Lake James. We arrived at Lake James at just about 7:15 AM. And, there was already a line of about 20 cars, SUV's and pick-up trucks. By 7:30, the line extended to about 40 cars.

We were the only people of European decent. Everyone else was Hispanic.

When the park opened at 8 AM, we did get a spot (I ran to get it).

On one hand, I was sitting there thinking to myself "Why should we pay taxes for our state parks?" - There was no doubt that many of the others there were working off the books, and not paying taxes.

On the other hand - The Hispanics around us saw the akwardness of the situation.

And, I have to admit, that not only were they absoultely well behaved and truly caring about the environment (no littering, no loud music) - But, also one family made a nice gesture and brought us a plate of their own food.

So, I was left torn between two emotions - On one hand, I strongly feel that illegals should not be given a free ride, and (economically) are too overhelming in number.

But, on the other hand - You can't help but respect many of them. They are polite and very likeable people.

Part 2 of the day:
We left Lake James Park at about 2 PM - And, we thought about going to see fireworks.

It would have been nice to go to Charlotte to see them.

But, those of us that live outside of Charlotte know better than to go there at night. It is called "murder city" by many of those that live around it (we do watch the news every night, and see what goes on there).

And, of course, watching the 5 PM news, we saw that the police in Charlotte were gearing up in riot gear. And, we knew what that meant...We didn't have riot gear to wear...So, we skipped the fireworks...

So, I am torn by 2 emotions with this situation...On one hand, Charlotte is a beautiful city (in the center). And, the city is trying to be an open minded, multicultural city....But, let's face it...At night it could turn out to be a nightmare...

And, people can sit back and say "Hey, that's the black community for you"..As the truth is, many problems there are caused by African Americans.

But, in the same light, I would never think of going to Lake Norman - As, that could also be a nightmare - Caused by irresponsible, rowdy, drunken, idiotic white people, driving their power boats for no apparent reason other than making noise and speeding around the lake... How sensible is this?...Ruining a beautiful environment for everyone else...And, putting others in danger.

Anyway,...It just was a day that opened my eyes to what life is like here these days...

These are the posts that lead people to question, "Will I be accepted here?" What troubles me is I have to wonder, how many people really think and feel this way but dare not say it aloud? But I will reiterate something I have said time and again, my family feels absolutely comfortable here and we are happy with our new community. And we feel welcome and accepted.

Hispanics are "illegals" and "well behaved" (so are my pets by the way), African-Americans are troublemakers, Charlotte is "Murder City" and one dare not venture there at night and Lake Norman is full of drunks. All I can say is, "WOW. Thanks for offending me (and many others here I'm sure) on multiple levels."

Next time you see my DH on one of those job sites, please question him about his status. Request to see his papers (he was born in New Jersey by the way but you might look at him and think otherwise). And don't forget to inquire after such of my American born, English speaking children (I'd hate to have them start carrying papers since I told them that is no longer necessary here). GEESH, I guess you'd think I was lying if I said my family has been here at least as long as yours. The difference is, for the most part, it wasn't a voluntary relocation.

Happy Independce Day!

Sara

Last edited by saralee; 07-05-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 10:39 AM

44 posts, read 154,616 times
Quote:
Check your facts again...

Of the more than 100 people arrested last night, only 14 were juveniles - And of that, only 6 were for curfew violations.

There were 89 adults arrested - 42 for disorderly conduct and 6 for carrying concealed weapons...ONE HAD AN AK-47..."Welcome to Bagdad USA"...

Come on folks...I am not being racist here...I like NC and I like Charlotte...But, we have to deal with the real issues...It's 2007..This is not the wild west of 1870...Let's progress, for crying out loud!..

And, you progress by being honest - First with yourself, and then with the environment around you...
After reading the stats in the Charlotte Observer, I admit, you are correct sir. I was basing my comment on what the local news channel reported.

I'm glad the police made that many arrests. That's what needs to be done to keep law abiding citizens safe. Does that make Charlotte a bad place?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:21 AM

749 posts, read 1,317,055 times
Well yesterday, I ventured into the center of "Murder City". I had my riot gear ready and was so scared because to top it off, it was nighttime!!! Gunshots rang out everywhere, people were screaming, it was an awful nightmare. The national guardsmen were lined up throughout the streets pointing their guns looking for any local terrorists! By the end of the night I couldnt believe I actually came out of the city unharmed. Infact, neither did the other 7 people I went with.

Oh and the above was completley scarcastic. The gunshots were actually fireworks, and the screams were from children laughing. I saw no national guard, no terrorists, no murders, nothing dangerous in my mind. Can you guys believe I actually went into Charlotte, aka Murder City at night and made it out alive!!

Sometimes I just dont get Suburbanites!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Note: Do not mess with NC-ians as they will come back with swift, verbal justice that will leave your head spinning....I do believe the op was attempting to off-color (no pun intended) Charlotte to scare Yankees and keep them on the other side of the M/D line....if indeed op was sincere, ya'all have one racist fella lurkin' in your midst.......

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 07-05-2007 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 12:17 PM

129 posts, read 671,291 times
this reply is for migee:
your problem is not that you are a racist, it is that you are culturally incompetent. My family is from the Dominican Republic, a small island in the Caribbean. I came here when I was 6 years old , on a plane ,not a boat. I have attended the best schools in this country and in one generation pulled my family out of poverty. Respect for our differences is important. We are not animals, we come from strong families that care about one another.
Yes, I agree , we have a problem with the "illegal" immigrants in this country, and they are not all Mexicans and not all Hispanics are Mexican, we are also different eventhough we are lumped together as being Hispanic. Please refrain from making any racist comments against any culture, remember that everyone in this country is originally from someone else, I do not believe those that arrived on Ellis Island had proper documentation ,yet we are all here. Wish you the best and hope that if you have children, you can offer them the opportunity to embrace our differences and celebrate the pride of living in this great country.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Just for your reference - Check out the CMS Library or cmstory.org web site - Under Charlotte history

And I quote"
"In 1959, 33 people were murdered here. This set a record topped only in 1940, when the Queen City became known as 'the murder city' of America.
"Harassed policemen investigated a total 46 murders in that year."

And again, you and others in this thread should be a little more open minded - And read other peoples postings completely before you fly out at them with name calling...If you read my posts, I am far from a racist, nor do I have anything against Charlotte itself. If anything, I present ideas for people to think - And, if I (or anyone else on this forum) are right or wrong, At least respond intelligently - Name calling shows a lack of ability to objectively discuss any matter.

And, by the way...When I realize that I did state something wrong, or someone points out facts that show otherwise, I acknowledge it...This forum would certainly be better if others did the same....

1940? 1959? Are you serious??????? Thanks for the good laugh.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Note: Do not mess with NC-ians as they will come back with swift, verbal justice that will leave your head spinning....I do believe the op was attempting to off-color (no pun intended) Charlotte to scare Yankees and keep them on the other side of the M/D line....if op was being sincere, ya'all have one racist fella lurkin' in your midst.......
Hey smalltown...You are very easy in calling names...I won't lower myself to reciprocate...

Being honest, and bringing up issues is not racist...It helps people think about the issues, and come up with solutions...Not mindless name calling, like you and some others that posted here.

Perhaps you and others should find someone to read the postings out loud to you...Maybe you will understand it better...

But, let me help you along a little...

In my original posting I was honest enough to admit that I had trouble reconciling the issues of the illegal immigrant situation with the fact that they are (to a good part) very nice people...Thus, bringing up the issue that reconciling the legal/political facts with the human side (meeting and interacting with them) makes it all complicated...For me and others.

Where is the racism there?...And yet, one of you dummies had the nerve to imply that this was comparing them to dogs or cats...You're the real racist here - Not me...Apparently, you really equate these people with being objects - Whereas I was looking at them as human beings...And, bringing up the issues to invite people to reconcile it in their own minds.

When I brought up the fact that people would hold African-Americans (greatly) at fault for crime in Charlotte, I also went on to compare this to white peoples behavior in Lake Norman...For those of you that don't get it - I was pointing out that (apparently) people of all races cause problems...Where's the racism in that?....

And I understand that you people that live in these areas are proud and defensive - But, I again point out that the situations in these areas is such that the police have to deal with it using military equipment and tactics...Do any of you deny that?

Don't any of you see the problem with this?...Or are you just in some form of denial (which is apparent from your raves here)....

Do you understand that as a community of people (in this country) our lives should be improving and not going backwards?...

And, I am very happy that many of you did enjoy your evening at the fireworks, or your day on the lake...

But, contact some of the crime victims in Charlotte, or their survivors (of this night and others) - And, ask them how their nights went.....The nights that they, or their loved-ones, became victims...Or, should we pretend they don't exist?...That would certainly be racist - On your part...

And, those of you on the lake can contact some people that were victimized by out-of-control power boaters...Apparently there is an issue on the lake...The police are using military-like tactics to protect people...

Folks,..Charlotte and Lake Norman have a lot to offer - But, they can be great places...When people like you admit there are problems; Admit from where and why the problems exist: And, direct all you time and energy towards solving the real causes of the problems...

It's not from me, or anyone else like me, that brings up issues in this forum or any other...I'm honest enough to write my thoughts...It would be nice to have people intelligent enough to understand that issues are brought up to be discussed and explored...You people that simply call people names - You're not contributing anything here...You're not reading what people are really writing about, nor are you thinking of the reasoning behind the words...

You're no better than grafitti vandals...

Last edited by migee; 07-05-2007 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
1940? 1959? Are you serious??????? Thanks for the good laugh.
Well, I'm certainly not laughing - Nor is any other responsible person...

Let me ask you this - What changed since then?...Think of that while you're laughing..

Sorry to say...It's still called "murder city"...Like it or not...

Last edited by migee; 07-05-2007 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: