Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 40,233 times

Advertisements

I was fired from my previous job at the end of January. I filed for unemployment the following week. i got a letter in the mail stating how much i will be paid and the duration of the payments. As i continuously checked the status of my claim online for over 3 weeks it showed YES for ACTIVE ISSUES. I have been filing my weekly claims online and checking my status for those weeks. I filled my weekly claim on the 4th week and the next morning it showed that there were NO ACTIVE ISSUES. When i called the Unemployment Office, i was told that my claim had been denied.
My father says that my employer has denied my claim and that i now have to wait 2 weeks (penalty). But i am under the impression that i will not be receiving any UI benefits at all.
I live pretty far from the UI office so i have been calling. I cant get in touch with anyone to get further information on my matter. I know that i can Appeal the decision... but if i am going to be receiving benefits soon, there is no use right?
I would just like someone to clarify this information with me, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,372,847 times
why did they fire you?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 40,233 times
The decision letter said for MISCONDUCT "Claimant was separated from this job because he did not report for scheduled work...." I notified my employer and a colleague that i would not be in for work on that day for personal reasons. i have NEVER called out before, nor have i displayed any conduct that could lead to my dismissal/

Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM

you might get ui or get the employer to take you back if you can prove your claim

Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Appeal...worse that can happen is another denial...and appeal again??

Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 AM

I believe you can only appeal once, or the UI will force your employer to take you back.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 19,312 times
I quit my job. for 4 years I have been furnished a company vehicle to drive to my work sites from home.
the company decided that the vehicle must be picked up and left at the office. I only worked part time 20-24hrs per week at $11.00 per hour. I live 30 miles from the office and this change in company policy would have cost me about $4 per hour for gas, insurance and wear and tear on my vehicle. I enjoyed my job and decided to look for something closer to home. I have not been able to find something compatiable. I filed for unemployment and was denied because I quit my job. Do I qualify for unemployment.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosmer View Post
I quit my job. for 4 years I have been furnished a company vehicle to drive to my work sites from home.
the company decided that the vehicle must be picked up and left at the office. I only worked part time 20-24hrs per week at $11.00 per hour. I live 30 miles from the office and this change in company policy would have cost me about $4 per hour for gas, insurance and wear and tear on my vehicle. I enjoyed my job and decided to look for something closer to home. I have not been able to find something compatiable. I filed for unemployment and was denied because I quit my job. Do I qualify for unemployment.
If you quit, you will not get unemployment.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 AM

286 posts, read 688,821 times
If you appeal and have documentation or proof that you did give notice of absence for whatever reason then I see no grounds for your dismissal unless their were extenuating circumstances. If your employer sends a representative to your appeal hearing with your employee record and you have "other" things that can lead to dismissal for whatever reason - then they will be valid in their right to dismiss you.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 AM

106 posts, read 318,097 times
I have my own business. Few things drive me crazier than having an employee quit (actually, they usually just stop coming in rather than formally "quit") only to get a letter from the ESC a few days later notifying me of their unemployment claim.

I then have to write a letter back to the ESC to dispute the claim so we aren't charged. One of the letters went something like this, "X was a good employee and we were actually in discussions about promoting her and giving her a raise when she just stopped coming in on (y) date. She was not fired and we would actually like to have her continue as an employee..."

Of course, we don't have those issues these days, but a few years ago when anyone with a pulse and the willingness to show up for work could get a job, it was pretty bad. It was not too long ago that the unemployment rate was actually too low and it was hard to find decent help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina