Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 PM

18 posts, read 29,489 times

Advertisements

Wish I could offer you some advice, but I'm sort of in the same boat myself. My husband and I are from northwest lower Michigan and I went to college at Michigan State, so we're outdoors people, too, and you're right, it is difficult to find much else here besides the Cape Fear river trail for running...anyway, I can understand where you're coming from-Fayetteville has been a huge adjustment for us as well. My husband is military, however, so we'll be here another year and a half till he gets out. Anyway, best of luck to you-if you discover any fantastic places to run, let me know! Hopefully you guys can get away on weekends for frequent trips to the coast-that's what we do, and it helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 AM

9 posts, read 38,026 times
Have you considered finding a place around Tom Starling...grays creek area? It is all very nice area and not bad places for running. as far as trails you have to get around and find them... there is lots of little places...such as on your way to aberdeen there is a small litte national park that has trails...or behind Bill hefner elementry school there is a trail. Grays Creek is not busy at all so it would be easy running. If he works on Tom starling then living in lillington cameron anything like that would be to far. I live off of Tom Starling and it takes us 35-40 min to get to base. Dunn or Benson take about 45 min to get to from Tom Starling and it is a very direct route. Personally I like fayetteville compared to alot of North Carolina Cities...not an amazing downtown but better then most.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 AM

9 posts, read 38,026 times
Default Another Park

Also I just found an amazing Park called arnette park that is off of 87 at the owen drive exit (about 4 miles off tom starling) it has lots of running trails even by the river...It is a beautiful park

Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM

55 posts, read 123,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternMichRunnerGirl23 View Post
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I will look into Aberdeen and White Lake! And yes, it's strange that there aren't more places to run in fayetteville, but from what I hear, if you have access to the base there are lots of places. Unfortunately I do not have access.
I will make lemonade out of lemons for now
By the way, Time2Travel, how do you like living in Wilmington? What are the people like? So far, when I have visited I have really enjoyed myself. Sounds like summers are wicked hot here in Fayetteville...I will have to make my way to the coast often to cool off!
First of all, anyone can access post if they go through one of the main access control points (Long Street, All American Freeway), etc which a drivers license, registration and allow them to search your vehicle.

The All American Trail is a ten to fifteen foot wide unpaved pathway designed for use by hikers, runners, and bicyclers. Horses are not permitted. The trail (currently eleven miles long) follows the perimeter boundary of Fort Bragg through North Carolina’s Sandhills Region.
The terrain is mixed with sections that range from nearly flat to fairly hilly. A noteworthy section of trail, currently being constructed, will be a 1,000 foot long boardwalk that crosses Rockfish Creek and its wetlands.

Interpretive signage will be provided along the trail that identifies and describes the unique plants and wildlife. There are more than 1,500 species of plants and trees, and over 400 species of wildlife -- including the endangered Red Cockaded Woodpecker.

The Raeford entrances are not on post and the public can access them. It's a favorite spot of mine to run, hike and take the dog out.

I encourage you to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina