Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times

Advertisements

Took out a home warranty policy with them around 22nd March after visting a website called home warranty reviews.com.

Paid in full with debit card.

On receiving paperwork in the mail I read that central heat systems and water heaters will not be replaced under the warranty if they're 10 yrs old or more, which I believe ours are.

I was told by sales guy, and also it says in the paperwork and on the website ,that you have 30 days in which to cancel the policy to receive a full refund. The coverage doesn't start until 30 days after the money is paid, which I figured is pretty standard.

This is what the website says at
https://www.sensiblehomewarranty.com/terms.php

. CONDITIONS OF CANCELLATION “MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

1. To receive a full refund, this contract may become null and void by the contract holder within 30 days from the order date of the contract unlesss policy was activated immediately.

2. Following 30 days refunds are issued on a prorated basis.

3. Cancellation requests must be formally written and received by Sensible Home Warranty. If cancellation is requested via email, the policy holder is required to obtain a confirmation reply. In the event of a cancellation request submission, the provider of funds will be entitled to nothing less than the paid prorated amount, or a full refund and monetary compensation in the exact form that the contract fees have been paid. The provider of funds will not incur any administrative fees or penalties. If the contract holder fails to request a cancellation of a contract within the valid dates then cancellation of such options is noted and determined by Sensible Home Warranty, LTD LLC administrators.

I emailed the person "Seth" who I'd dealt with on April 7th and was told to forward the email to the sales department.
I asked for confirmation of receipt of the email, and when I didn't hear anything I emailed again yesterday morning.

Still no reply.

So i started looking and found all the bad reviews regarding sensible home warranty.Wasn't hard to do and I feel stupid for not doing it in the first place , but at the time my husbands father had just died so wasn't completely on the ball.

Although the address on their website says NV I'm lead to believe by what other people have written that they are actually in New York somewhere.
Also read that someone had been told to file a poilice complaint as the FBI were involved with investigating this company.

Do I have any recourse through my bank?

Short of getting a lawyer involved anyone suggest how I might find out more about the company and try to get our money back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:05 PM

792 posts, read 4,489,020 times
E-mail is too easy to "lose". Find a mailing address and send a certified letter of your intent to cancel under the terms of the contract. Then call your bank and see if there's anything they can do to help reclaim your payment.

Live and learn. Home warranties are all a rip-off. These companies are in business to make money, not to replace all your old appliances for free. Two minutes of searching on this forum and you would have figured that out.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
E-mail is too easy to "lose". Find a mailing address and send a certified letter of your intent to cancel under the terms of the contract. Then call your bank and see if there's anything they can do to help reclaim your payment.

Live and learn. Home warranties are all a rip-off. These companies are in business to make money, not to replace all your old appliances for free. Two minutes of searching on this forum and you would have figured that out.
Helpful reply!

I mentioned I wanted to cancel it and never discussed making a claim, let alone wanting all my appliances replaced for free.

Home warranties are like any other insurance policy.
I don't believe an email is any easier to "lose" than a letter.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,809 times
Default Has your issue been resolved?

Dear poster,

I have stumbled upon this website and noticed a post you had made last year concerning a refund issue. While I am confident this matter has already been resolved considering the time frame, I certainly invite you to contact me directly. Please advise me if there is still pending issue or if you would like to provide more general information in terms of your experience. I am certainly sorry for any troubles and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future.

I can be reached by email at [email]jared@sensiblehomewarranty.com[/email]

Thank you.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,042 times
Just. Say. No. They do NOT review their contractors and sent criminals to my home.
Their call center is in India and their contractors are slow to respond.
(Unfortunately) do your own research and look into the (potential crooks / felons) they send to your home BEFORE allowing them to come out-- do NOT rely on sensible home warranty to protect your safety. Just say no!!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,993 times
Here is my complete story in dealing with this dishonest company, which I plan to post all over the internet so that people have some information in hand to help make their decisions. I also posted this to Yelp.com, and Home Warranty - Reviews, Comparison & Quotes so far.

I usually never take the time to write a review on a company or service unless I either have exceptional service and want to praise the company or, unfortunately in this case, the complete opposite, very poor service and I feel it is my duty to warn the community about such a company. The old adage that it seems too good to be true duped me into buying this service in the first place. I had been using another home warranty service for 2 years but each year the premiums rose, and after the third year I started to look for something a little more reasonable in price. On paper Sensible home warranty looked great, however there were quite a few very negative reviews, which I tried to weigh evenly against some of the more positive reviews, I wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt and come to my own conclusions, which I certainly have.
The specific details of my claim are simple. I had an issue over the summer with my air conditioning unit I called the home warranty company and requested service unfortunately they were unable to provide me with a technician within a reasonable timeframe. After waiting approximately 8 hours for technician to come in the unbearable heat of my home, which is also where I work, I called them back and enlisted my ability to use my own contractor and have the work reimbursed to me using the deductible service that this company claims they provide. I received both verbal and email confirmation that service would be acceptable and I proceeded and was able to get the service repaired later that afternoon. The total bill for the service was only $125 after my $45 deductible I was entitled to an $80 check reimbursed to me from the home warranty company. I submitted through email a photo copy of the invoice from the technician along with written instructions to mail me a check for the $80 difference that the home warranty company agreed to pay over the phone with me, as they instructed. This is where the headaches began. After waiting several days I received no acknowledgement through email or phone that my claim had been received. I called to make certain I had followed their vague yet simple instructions properly and was told to simply resubmit the email and invoice copy. 48 hours later I did received an email notification that my claim had been accepted and that an $80 check would be mailed to me within 4 to 6 business weeks, which I felt was a bit of a long time to wait but was happy as long as I received the check. After the six weeks had passed I still had not received any check in the mail and I called to inquire. At this point my level of apprehension started to creep up as previous stories from other reviewer of their troubles started to reverberate in my mind. I still wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but I quickly got the feeling that I was getting a run around and that my money would never arrive. Even though the amount was less than $100 it seemed like pulling teeth to get any sort of confirmation or guarantee or even anything in writing that would acknowledge that payment was being processed and/or being mailed to me.
After my second call and detailed explanation of my issues the customer service agent assured me that they would then place another request order to have my check processed and that it would go out the following Friday (the first Friday of the month) as they quoted this is the timeframe when all checks are issued and sent out and then I should receive it then within two business weeks. So the 4 to 6 business weeks really depends on if your claim gets submitted and approved before the first Friday of the month, otherwise it could be more like 8 to 10 business weeks!
So, after that following 2 weeks and still I had not received a check I called back for a third time and was given a similar run around. They claimed the check had actually been shipped out, and it was odd that I had not received it yet. They told me they would place a rush order on another check and that I should now receive a check within 7 to 10 business days. At this point I felt I had been lied to long enough and that I would like to cancel my policy effective immediately and receive my pro-rated refund. They told me that I was unable to cancel my policy because I had an open claim and that a check was already being issued and mailed to me. I told them that I no longer wanted to $80 claim amount, to please close the claim and simply process my request to cancel and refund my policy. The agent could not honor that request and reiterated that because there was an open claim I could not cancel my policy. I tried to let her know that I no longer would accept the $80 payment and to please close the claim but she was unable. I was told that I had to submit an email to their billing department to request the policy cancellation, which I had already done before making this last phone call. She was not able to tell me if the company received my formal request and that I had to wait 24-48 hours to get any response back at all. I was concerned since the amount refunded is pro-rated, so that every day that goes by I lose an amount of my refundable premium. She could not help me beyond this point. I tried repeatedly to speak to a supervisor, who was never available, nor was I able to speak to any other individual including anybody from the billing department. I fear that my on-going run around will simply continue until such time that my policy will have run out and I will not be eligible for any refund at that point. The individual agents are nice enough people that simply are script readers and have no real power or capabilities to do much more than send an email for requests and take the brunt of customers’ frustrations.
Please do not dilute your common sense with delusions that this may not happen to you. It will and seems to me is how this company makes the majority of its income. They do not seem to operate within any sensible ethical policies and have poorly written language in their contract that enables them to tie you into a repetitive loop of waiting with no honest chance of receiving any payment. Worst yet, they do not even allow you to read the actual contract language prior to making a full annual premium payment and agreeing to their terms in the contract, even though they claim that you have 30 days to cancel the policy and request a refund, which I imagine they have no intention of ever actually giving back. I hope by writing this I can convey my level of trepidation and frustration with this company and I hope that my story helps others in their choice in choosing a home warranty company.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,990 times
BUYER BEWARES!!! SENSIBLE HOME WARRANTY HORRIBLE AND APPEARS TO BE FRAUDULENT!! We hired this home warranty company to cover a home we own in Southern CA. The company seems to be fraudulent. They required a full year up front which we paid. We have had 2 issues since we have hired them. They have not paid for anything. There is only a call center answering their calls, no managers ever available, no point of escalation. A bunch of false promises! They have no one working on weekends or holidays, no one to address emergencies. HELP. We have had to pay for service calls by hiring our own companies because they are not available. They told us to hire our own company, with the first issue because they had "no one available". They claim 6-8 weeks for reimbursement, we have NOT seen any money reimbursement. The most recent, a heating issue.....took them 5 days to get someone out. Now the person they sent out told us the problem and it is a part that costs $450 and "it is not covered by Sensible". We had another HVAC company come out (outside of Sensible) who told us the part they are claiming is defected is not even a part on our heating unit. This company and the people they send out on behalf of their company are dishonest. We have spent so much money out of our own pocket and time and I don't want anyone else to be taken advantage of. Please give me a list of places to file complaints where people who are looking for a home warranty companies will see this so there are no more victims.

Last edited by Sensible-Home-is-a-fraud; 12-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: corrected dollar amount on part

Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,505 times
In the process of retaining an attorney. We've been waiting over two months for them to fix our refrigerator and to date (3/18/2013) they have done nothing but give us the run-around.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,599 times
I have been trying for over a week to get a refund back for a policy that they charged me for, which doesn't even take place until September 2013. I've been trying desperately to contact anyone at their office to speak to the cancellation department. They informed me that they do not even have the phone numbers for their own cancellation department. I've done as they've requested, from calling back after 48 hours, to sending an Email confirmation of my cancellation to them. Still no cancellation and it's been more than a week. Thanks to other complaints that have been posted online, I've found an extension and Email for an individual named Jared Bodner who appears to be some type of manager there. I've Emailed him and I'm still waiting for a response. I'm speaking to "Chantel" right now as we speak. She just told me that their supervisor, "Brad," just entered into a meeting at the time of my call. Strange... when I called about 45 minutes earlier, someone told me that he was out to lunch. Every time I call customer service, I keep getting deflected... a supervisor is either out to lunch, in a conference meeting, or they will just forward my complaint to the cancellation department. I advise anyone considering to pick up a home warranty to not select SENSIBLE HOME WARRANTY. They will not give you a refund back. If anyone has any further questions, please let me know and I will kindly reply with my experiences and what my next course of action is. Thank you.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,826 times
Exclamation Sensible Home Warranty - Doesn't pay vendor checks

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are very disappointed in the services that Sensible homewarranty has provided on two issues. Ihave called accounts payable and customer service numerous times on this, Ihave sent many emails on this and I just filed a complaint on Better Business Bureau website. I have emailed all my owners who use Sensibleto consider changing when their home warranty is up for renewal due to theissue. Sensible Home Warranty sent out a local vendor to make repairs for twoproperties I manage and these vendors invoices are still not paid. There are two invoices one from February 2013 in the amount of $137.50and one from April 2013 in the amount of $146.65. I wouldrecommend using Old Republic or American Home Shield for home warranty needs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina