Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 56,978 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide whether or not to make the move now but children and I would relocate first and DH would come down for monthly visits but will not move down permanently until approx 2 years. Has anyone tried the long distance 'thing'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 01:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I don't mean to sound harsh; but that sounds like a GREAT way to wreck a marriage. 2 years is a long time. Isn't the whole reason most people move down here is so they have more time with their kids and family?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:16 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh; but that sounds like a GREAT way to wreck a marriage. 2 years is a long time. Isn't the whole reason most people move down here is so they have more time with their kids and family?
Yeah, I would wait for my family. Pay for two homes? Why not wait for the family? Whats the rush?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxdiva View Post
We are trying to decide whether or not to make the move now but children and I would relocate first and DH would come down for monthly visits but will not move down permanently until approx 2 years. Has anyone tried the long distance 'thing'?
Not for that length of time and not with children. I moved down first, my husband stayed at his job in our previous state a few months longer. His company really wanted him to stay on even longer. He came down on week-ends twice a month but the additional travel time on top of his job didn't make for quality time. He was tired.

He considered staying on there longer and we talked about it but that particular week-end one of our wells (we have two, one for the house and a shallower one for the barn and gardening) sprung a leak which I wouldn't have even noticed. Our air conditioner also quit working. He caught the iced over coils immediately and knew it needed freon. Dang thing would have burned out before I caught that and thought to turn it off. Then we started talking about what winter would be like if I was here by myself and all the additional responsibilities I'd have to handle. Primarily though, we just didn't want to be separated any longer.

I sure wouldn't want our kids to miss so much time with their Dad if we had kids.

There are people who make long distance marriages work to varying degrees. Others end up divorcing. Absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder.

Best wishes in making your decision.

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-31-2006 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-31-2006, 01:25 PM

117 posts, read 416,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxdiva View Post

Doesn't sound good unless you don't like him.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 56,978 times
thanks you all for your input....lots to consider.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,909 times
Default I tried...

I tried to ... but she found out where I moved.

Seriously, I moved about 3 months before my spouse did, but that was before we had children. It was very tough.

I would try hard to not do that, if at all possible.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:24 PM

295 posts, read 1,298,041 times
It sounds like you've already considered it. If its something you've already floated out there, to me it sounds like trouble already and/or at least a little selfish on your part.

I'm not trying to offend, but sometimes the picture is clearer from someone who is removed from the particulars. You both want to move, but the responsibilities that come with being an adult (selling the house, getting a new job, etc.) and moving will take more time than you wish you had to wait. Like someone said, what's the rush? If NC is the right place for you and your family, it will continue to be in a couple of years or whenever is right for your entire family to come down. Its not right IMHO to make the kids and you gang up on your husband to make him feel like he's the only reason you aren't moving to somewhere you wish you could be RIGHTNOW. Running away from issues by moving to NC won't make problems go away, but they might be forgotten for a small period of time.

Address the underlying issues or deal with your selfishness and keep your entire family together until your entire family can move. If this was a few weeks or a month, maybe, but 2 years is a huge red flag. Diva may be more than just part of your username on this forum - but treat your husband like you would wish to be treated in this instance.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:29 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I have to agree. Two years is a long time. To me 4-6 months would be too long. Your call in the end. Regardless of how strong your marriage is, two years is too long. Sorry. Depending on who recommended the two years, I would ask why and check into why

Lets move you to NC for two years and I'll come later. Definition: I need some time to see if things will work out with "Susan" at work. During this time I will have no child support and some benefits on weekends when I come out there. May sound mean, but I am sure its happen before.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
I tried to ... but she found out where I moved.

Seriously, I moved about 3 months before my spouse did, but that was before we had children. It was very tough.

I would try hard to not do that, if at all possible.

lol.... that was a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina