Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,523 times

Advertisements

Hello all, i live here in the bay area of California and have lived here my whole life. I'm thinking about a change. I'm thinking of moving to North Carolina in either Hickory, Charlotte, or Raleigh region. I was wondering if anyone could give some tips for me. This will be my first move and am hoping it to by my last.

I would like to know:

How to find jobs while still in Ca?
Finding an apartment?
Any local information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Have you visited NC? Charlotte and Raleigh are 2 of the largest cities...Hickory quite a bit smaller, with less opportunities in jobs, nightlife, arts/culture etc. Have you checked those cities out in cd forum?

NC is my home state and is quite lovely from the mountains in the west to the beaches of the east coast. If you have not been here, perhaps plan a trip....you don't want to make a huge mistake by not being certain of your choice!

Check local jobs through newspapers of the city ie Charlotte Observer, Hickory Daily Record. And online too.

Apt. should be no problem anywhere. I imagine you could have some culture shock in smaller towns....

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_G_84 View Post
Hello all, i live here in the bay area of California and have lived here my whole life. I'm thinking about a change. I'm thinking of moving to North Carolina in either Hickory, Charlotte, or Raleigh region. I was wondering if anyone could give some tips for me. This will be my first move and am hoping it to by my last.

I would like to know:

How to find jobs while still in Ca?
Finding an apartment?
Any local information?
The best way to find a job might be to have one that transfers. Are you working now? What kind of work? Can you change jobs to something that can transfer to a different location, stay where you are for another year or so, then transfer?

Or save a lot of money and come prepared to live for six months before finding work. Lots of people have been out of work longer than that, although the most motivated usually find something faster.

Also, don't set your heart too much on it being your last move. I thought it might be my last move, and now I can't wait to get back to the West Coast (mostly for the climate).

Look for an apartment on craigslist. It has a bad reputation in some areas, but I have used it successfully several times here.

Housing is a lot cheaper here, but as you may have read in other threads, other expenses may be about the same.

If you say what it is you're looking for and why this area appeals to you, people may have other helpful suggestions.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,523 times
Yes. I have in fact visited NC last week, which was the first week in June. I stayed with a friend in Hickory. I did feel Hickory was just like my home town and quite small.

I'm a certified early childhood educator. I think that's a job that could work most anywhere. The only thing about NC is when i look for jobs in that state... i get the "MUST HAVE NC CREDENTIALS" would i be able to transfer my credits accordingly.

I did have a chance to visit Charlotte for a day or so and i do think a bigger city is for me.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
You should post in the sub-fora for Raleigh and Charlotte to ask about those places. Hickory questions would be best here in the General NC forum. But all three are quite different, and since you are asking for local recommendations, until you know which one you will be moving to, it's impractical to give advice on particular neighborhoods.

You should look at the websites for the school systems in areas you're looking at, to get a vibe for the job market in that locale. Many teacher positions are frozen right now due to budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina