Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 7,689 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Spring Lakes NC. We are renting a house, on a short-term bases but in a relatively new residential neighborhood where (we assume) is all owners or long-term renters. We were honestly expecting neighbors to come bring us home-made food and introduce themselves. Does this happen only in movies? Please set us straight on this if you can.

PS: We actually were hoping it was true So much for southern hospitality or is it just a myth ?

PPS: We have been moved in for a week so its not like they dont realize we are here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,966,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxo1980 View Post
We just moved to Spring Lakes NC. We are renting a house, on a short-term bases but in a relatively new residential neighborhood where (we assume) is all owners or long-term renters. We were honestly expecting neighbors to come bring us home-made food and introduce themselves. Does this happen only in movies? Please set us straight on this if you can.

PS: We actually were hoping it was true So much for southern hospitality or is it just a myth ?

PPS: We have been moved in for a week so its not like they dont realize we are here
Welcome to NC! I am sorry I live too far to bring over a plate of cookies

You are living in an area with a lot of military folks, who are very transitory. Don't know about your particular neighborhood, but there's a good chance there aren't many southerners around you, sorry!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,488,602 times
It works both ways you know. Did you ever think about bringing over some cookies and introducing yourself? Especially if people know its a rental they aren't going to bother.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
It works both ways you know. Did you ever think about bringing over some cookies and introducing yourself? Especially if people know its a rental they aren't going to bother.
Yes we are military and no, I am too shy to do that ! I just thought that is what was the norm. You are right, most of the folks around us hve some connection to the base.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,966,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxo1980 View Post
Yes we are military and no, I am too shy to do that ! I just thought that is what was the norm. You are right, most of the folks around us hve some connection to the base.
SEE? You aren't living among many southerners, so you can hardly expect to find the kind of "southern hospitality" you thought you would. Believe me, it is alive and well in many places

Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Why wont they bother ? Sometimes rentals morph into lease-to-own. Just asking....

Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,911,441 times
Does it seem odd to you to think people would bake and introduce themselves if you are not willing to do the same?

Moving is hard, as is making new friends. You will need to put in effort, too. That is true whether you are in the South, North, East, West or international! Being a military family, you probably know that already or soon will. My husband was in professional sports before he retired. We moved at least once a year, sometimes twice. Believe me, I know it's hard.

In my neighborhood, we don't throw a parade for new families either (metaphorically speaking). The people here are friendly enough, they just keep to themselves - and I mean really keep to themselves. But when I introduce myself, they are very pleasant and kind. If you have kids, maybe find out if there is a playgroup? Or even a homeowner's association meeting or a social committee? Maybe strike up a conversation with a person you see walking at the same time of day as you. Find a common ground and go with it.

You could also just start with the people living on each side of you. Your connections will grow from there!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,362,674 times
Only in the movies.
You should never expect any aspect of reality to transpire like fiction. For if you do , you will recieve a nasty reality check.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Only in the movies.
You should never expect any aspect of reality to transpire like fiction. For if you do , you will recieve a nasty reality check.
SO_southern hospitalitys a myth,then ? Im jaded now

Old 07-01-2011, 01:53 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,470,648 times
No it's not a myth as Loves said what you expected does happen in some places. There is a neighborhood welcome committee (official or unofficial) that comes to welcome new families. This doesn't happen right when the moving truck pulls up. Sometimes people wait to give people time to settle in. Waiting a week or more isn't unheard of.

I don't think you should judge the entire state and region based on your experience with your neighborhood. Again remember that they of your neighbors may not be native Southerners.

I would have brought something if I were your neighbor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina