Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,756,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxo1980 View Post
SO_southern hospitalitys a myth,then ? Im jaded now
southern hospitality is the type of thing you must participate in, rather than something that "happens to you."

if most folks around you have a connection to the base, then they're probably not from the area. you are where you is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,300,462 times
When we moved to NC our neighbors were welcoming and helpful, but they didn't bring us cookies. We (especially DH) walk a lot, and of course we waved to anyone we saw outside - and that frequently led to conversations.

When another new couple moved into the neighborhood, my husband and I went to introduce ourselves and give them cookies. We were greeted by a young man with a big gun.

Maybe OP's neighbors are city-data readers and have read the posts complaining about Southern manners and hospitality.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Only in the movies.
You should never expect any aspect of reality to transpire like fiction. For if you do , you will recieve a nasty reality check.
Don't tell her that

This kind of "welcome" definitely happens in places where you find true southerners.

Some of you have just moved into areas where there are more transplants than southerners.

Heck, when I moved into my new neighborhood last summer all the ladies on my street had a surprise luncheon to welcome me a week later.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Residents of a high-military are 1) probably not Southern themselves and 2) not exemplary of "Southern" people (and hospitality). Has this not downed on you?

Also, say you are in a "new" area, so most of them are probably new residents, themselves. Generally the typical "bring cookies over to the new neighbor" model is more typical coming from people who are established and rooted in the neighborhood, not someone who might have only lived there a year, themselves.

PS--you've only been there a WEEK, after all, right after school is out. Maybe they are away on vacation.

Summary: the situation you are in is not one where you should expect "southern hospitality" as if you had moved into a small town of long-time native residents. To extrapolate from living in a brand-new neighborhood in a very transient, military (and probably mostly not Southern) population at the time of year when vacations are common, to making an assumption that "Southern Hospitality" is a thing of the past is QUITE a stretch.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,300,462 times
Our gun-holding neighbor was a Southerner. But it was a late afternoon in winter (dark), and we were wearing coats and hats/hoods, and apparently he had already made enemies with another Southern neighbor. He wasn't taking any chances.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxo1980 View Post
We just moved to Spring Lakes NC. We are renting a house, on a short-term bases but in a relatively new residential neighborhood where (we assume) is all owners or long-term renters. We were honestly expecting neighbors to come bring us home-made food and introduce themselves. Does this happen only in movies? Please set us straight on this if you can.

PS: We actually were hoping it was true So much for southern hospitality or is it just a myth ?

PPS: We have been moved in for a week so its not like they dont realize we are here
DM me your address and I'll mail you a box of vanilla wafers.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM

123 posts, read 437,743 times
xoxo, I'm a little confused. Weren't you just in the South Carolina forum (under a different name) complaining that people smiled at you too much? //www.city-data.com/forum/south...ow-person.html You replied under the screenname xoxo and your posts link to that thread so i know it was you.

In that thread you maintained that you should not be expected to participate in Southern culture or smile back at people because you were not raised that way. Now, in this thread, you complain that someone didn't uphold Southern tradition and bring you a pie. Do you want Southern culture or not? Or do you just want Southern culture when it benefits you?

Like the other posters said, Spring Lake & Fayetteville are military towns and the majority of residents are not Southern. You can't expect non-Southerns to show up at your door with a pie or a plate of cookies. And if you did have any Southerners living in your neighborhood, they're probably already put off by the fact that you didn't return a smile or a wave and have no intention of baking you a pie. If that's the case, you better go make amends and take them a pie. Happy baking.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
xoxo, I'm a little confused. Weren't you just in the South Carolina forum (under a different name) complaining that people smiled at you too much? //www.city-data.com/forum/south...ow-person.html You replied under the screenname xoxo and your posts link to that thread so i know it was you.

In that thread you maintained that you should not be expected to participate in Southern culture or smile back at people because you were not raised that way. Now, in this thread, you complain that someone didn't uphold Southern tradition and bring you a pie. Do you want Southern culture or not? Or do you just want Southern culture when it benefits you?

Like the other posters said, Spring Lake & Fayetteville are military towns and the majority of residents are not Southern. You can't expect non-Southerns to show up at your door with a pie or a plate of cookies. And if you did have any Southerners living in your neighborhood, they're probably already put off by the fact that you didn't return a smile or a wave and have no intention of baking you a pie. If that's the case, you better go make amends and take them a pie. Happy baking.
+1, can't give Rep points at this time.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:

I had a feeling...thanks for confirming

Some people are just so pathetic.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,457,225 times
Quote:
Great catch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina