Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
You certainly must have a more highly developed sensory system than the rest of us if you were to have time to tabulate these results while with three teenagers at the park. Five illegals? How on earth could you tell this? Are you a superhero or something? Were they wearing some sort of tattoos, or armbands? I can't believe you would take the time to keep track of this sort of thing. Get a life. Do us all a favor, and don't move to our beautiful state.
In defense of Tornado.....there are many of us who have asked specific questions in regard to the diversity out there. Just for your inforamtion....coming from California and Arizona I can spot an illegal a mile away. Doesn't mean Im prejudiced against them, But on the same hand, Im getting a little tired of being out numbered by them at the mall......or anywhere else fot that matter. We all have a right to our opinions, but I didnt hear Tornado express any type of opinion about his findings.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:25 PM

60 posts, read 309,263 times
Honestly -the last part of this thread is out of control....

I can understand the need for some people to want specific information regarding demographics, etc. but this is just absurd.

You can easily find (more precise, probably) demographical information breakdowns online for specific areas...although, perhaps not EXACT numbers of "illegals", fighting couples, kids wearing popular clothing, etc.

I realize that he didn't actually SAY that these are scientific figures about the demographic make-up of Charlotte, NC, but they sounded downright specific to me..... ( Do you have the total number of people you saw all day? I've been to Carowinds, I would drop dead from exhaustion just thinking about all the faces you would come in contact with, let alone cataloging all of the information )

What kills me about this is if I had to venture a guess, he probably spent the day at Carowinds...which is located on the border of NC/SC (Mecklenburg County.) People come from all over both states, from all walks of life, all races, sizes, shapes, colors and dispositions to enjoy the day there. For someone to glean information about the make-up of an area from a day at an amusement park and then to pass it along to others who blindly go along with it and will take it as gospel is absolutely silly.

I feel better now.

Nicole

Old 09-04-2006, 09:45 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
You certainly must have a more highly developed sensory system than the rest of us if you were to have time to tabulate these results while with three teenagers at the park. Five illegals? How on earth could you tell this? Are you a superhero or something? Were they wearing some sort of tattoos, or armbands? I can't believe you would take the time to keep track of this sort of thing. Get a life. Do us all a favor, and don't move to our beautiful state.
If your moving your family 2500 miles and your not looking around and your just going to "get up and move" your nuts!

As for my kids. They are G.A.T.E and Honor Roll students. I don't have to keep my eye on them. Works out good when you raise them right

Old 09-04-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
Tornado Alley, please .... head back up to where you came from pronto. We've got enough whiners who think they are better than everyone else, just like you here already. Those of us that love it here don't need the aggravation and prejudice you're bringing with you.
I am only stating what I see. Funny how many PM's I get with other saying "felt same way" when we went there.

Anyway. Anyone wanting information what I heard by law enforcement today. Just PM me.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
In defense of Tornado.....there are many of us who have asked specific questions in regard to the diversity out there. Just for your inforamtion....coming from California and Arizona I can spot an illegal a mile away. Doesn't mean Im prejudiced against them, But on the same hand, Im getting a little tired of being out numbered by them at the mall......or anywhere else fot that matter. We all have a right to our opinions, but I didnt hear Tornado express any type of opinion about his findings.
Thank you. Your right. I was only stating what I see. Again, PM for further information if you want to avoid the "locals" complaining.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoled24 View Post
Honestly -the last part of this thread is out of control....

I can understand the need for some people to want specific information regarding demographics, etc. but this is just absurd.

You can easily find (more precise, probably) demographical information breakdowns online for specific areas...although, perhaps not EXACT numbers of "illegals", fighting couples, kids wearing popular clothing, etc.
I realize that he didn't actually SAY that these are scientific figures about the demographic make-up of Charlotte, NC, but they sounded downright specific to me..... ( Do you have the total number of people you saw all day? I've been to Carowinds, I would drop dead from exhaustion just thinking about all the faces you would come in contact with, let alone cataloging all of the information )

What kills me about this is if I had to venture a guess, he probably spent the day at Carowinds...which is located on the border of NC/SC (Mecklenburg County.) People come from all over both states, from all walks of life, all races, sizes, shapes, colors and dispositions to enjoy the day there. For someone to glean information about the make-up of an area from a day at an amusement park and then to pass it along to others who blindly go along with it and will take it as gospel is absolutely silly.

I feel better now.

Nicole
Your right. It was just a way to give people an idea. If I said a couple. No one has an idea what my definition of a couple is. So, I threw out some numbers just to give a "story line" to help.

My information is not to stop people nor their money from coming into your state. It is only one mans view of what he saw.

When we went to Crowinds or even the movie it was NOT to go out and fun per say, more to see if the people that go there were the type of people we would want to live near. In no way was it to insult anyone. Only an idea of what I saw.

In the end, I will stop posting on this thread in hopes it dies. Thus the "locals" can stop complaining and the out of state people can spend their own $2500 and fly out and see for them selfs if it is what they want. The internet is only "ammunition" for your trip.

As many of you have given me support after today and the others who choose just to PM me with questions to avoid getting slammed, I will continue to answer your question per PM. I do have additional information from two Fort Mill PD on many areas from "their view" I can give per PM (I heard today). As for moving here. Never said if we will or not.

Thanks and God Bless!
Ps. Found this: http://crimeincharlotte.blogspot.com/

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 09-04-2006 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-04-2006, 10:17 PM

60 posts, read 309,263 times
Certainly your choice to stop posting on the thread you started....I agree with you....I would NEVER move anywhere without making at least one visit before just packing up and taking off. However, if someone is going to make a decision to live somewhere based off of the observations of one person on a weekend trip or the feelings from a couple of cops from a small town in SC, that's their problem. I think what us "locals" are upset about ( I certainly don't want to speak for all of us...) is the fact that many people on the board are concerned with riff-raff, gang members, etc. and the fact remains that they are EVERYWHERE, all over the country, not just here in our backyard-many people here make it seem that we are constantly facing "bad" people daily...when in reality, I've lived here for going on 14 years and have never, not once, felt like my life was in jeopardy in Charlotte or the surrounding areas.

You just have to make the best decision, for your family, but keep in mind that when you post something, anything, be prepared for not everyone to agree.

Nicole

Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
coming from California and Arizona I can spot an illegal a mile away. Doesn't mean Im prejudiced against them, But on the same hand, Im getting a little tired of being out numbered by them at the mall......or anywhere else fot that matter. We all have a right to our opinions, but I didnt hear Tornado express any type of opinion about his findings.[/quote]

Truly amazing. Out numbered by them at the mall? You guys must be kidding. Are you afraid you're going to catch something?

I live a life where I am "out numbered" on a daily basis, in social and professional settings and not by so-called illegals. Yet, somehow I manage. Actually, I do more than manage ... I live my life, form relationships and raise my family.

Sounds like you guys need to move to N. Dakota, or somewhere where you're not as likely to come into contact with brown people.

Dress it up however you'd like ... most of the later comments reflected in this thread are racist ... pure and simple. I'm just waiting for the post that begins, "But some of my best friends are (Black, Mexican or whatever) ..."

And regardless of what anyone states, you cannot tell someone's residency status just by looking at them ...

And baggy pants and long shirts don't make a kid a gang member, as much as it makes him a follower of popular culture.

SL

Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,907 times
Amen. My 16 year old son (we live in Asheville) wears long shirts, baggy pants, works 40 hours a week in the summer, 25 hours a week during school and still manages to make the honor roll each semester. No one ever said a family shouldn't check out where they are going to live. But reporting on it in the manner of this Carowinds trip post is ridiculous, skewed and it was done in a very prejudicial manner.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:12 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
coming from California and Arizona I can spot an illegal a mile away. Doesn't mean Im prejudiced against them, But on the same hand, Im getting a little tired of being out numbered by them at the mall......or anywhere else fot that matter. We all have a right to our opinions, but I didnt hear Tornado express any type of opinion about his findings.

Truly amazing. Out numbered by them at the mall? You guys must be kidding. Are you afraid you're going to catch something?

I live a life where I am "out numbered" on a daily basis, in social and professional settings and not by so-called illegals. Yet, somehow I manage. Actually, I do more than manage ... I live my life, form relationships and raise my family.

Sounds like you guys need to move to N. Dakota, or somewhere where you're not as likely to come into contact with brown people.

Dress it up however you'd like ... most of the later comments reflected in this thread are racist ... pure and simple. I'm just waiting for the post that begins, "But some of my best friends are (Black, Mexican or whatever) ..."

And regardless of what anyone states, you cannot tell someone's residency status just by looking at them ...

And baggy pants and long shirts don't make a kid a gang member, as much as it makes him a follower of popular culture.

SL[/quote]

Well said Sara! It always amazes me that we in the south get accused of being bigots and racists (based on what happened in our past), but that what is REALLY true is how much more accepting and tolerant we are than folks from other areas of the country of our "brown" neighbors.

Another thing people who don't live here don't understand, sadly for them, is how caring this community really is toward its neighbors and people in crisis. This is a city very unique in its unselfish attitudes. Our annual Crop Walk raises more money for hunger every year than cities twice as large as us. Our United Way campaigns are some of THE most successful in this country. Our Habitat for Humanity builds more houses every year than groups in other cities of similar size. Our local churchs and synnagoges send countless volunteers into the community to mentor or tutor underpriviliged children. Our Room in the Inn program (to get the homeless into a warm place for the night every December thru March) successfully, through complete volunteer efforts of a large group of churchs from every denomination, operates without a single penny from any government agency. Black people, white people, yellow people and brown people actually worship together in our churches - do you know how rare that is in other parts of the country?

We are even welcoming to others who think they might want a piece of the good life we enjoy here - even though them coming has clogged our highways and our schools. And why is that? Because THAT'S the kind of people we are - unselfish, genuinely caring human beings who truly believe there's always room for one more at the table. THAT is the southern way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina