Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Let's start with a little about me. My name is AJ I am 25, I grew up in Michigan and recently got married. I have lived in Orange County, CA for the last 2 1/2 years and I am considering to NC. I love So Cal but I do miss rivers, lakes and forests that we had in MI. I have never been to NC but am planning a trip and have always wanted to live there.

I will miss the perfect weather in So Cal and being 5 minutes from beautiful beaches but I think the tradeoff is OK.

I work from home, I am conservative, christian, active, love hiking, mountain biking, working out, beaches, I have a dog. Nice resurants and movie theaters are a must. Random stuff I know.

I hope this helped getting to know me a bit. I appreciate any feedback you can give me! If you were me where would you move to in NC?

Thanks!!

Last edited by amida; 09-08-2011 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: add more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amida View Post
I have never been to NC but am planning a trip and have always wanted to live there...love hiking, mountain biking, working out, beaches...If you were me where would you move to in NC?
If you had to prioritize would you rather be near the beach, or near the mountains? Why do you think you would like living in NC, if you haven't been here? There really isn't enough information in your note for anyone to answer, as there at least a dozen cities that would fit your needs.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Quote:
I do miss rivers, lakes and forests that we had in MI.
Also a MI native here. If fresh water is your cup of tea, NC may disappoint. The lakes here are man-made (mostly) and not the same as what you find in MI. Also, come summer, many of the lakes are like swimming in a hot tub - not refreshing. NC does have some great outdoors areas and beautiful forests.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
So you've never been here, but you've always wanted to live here?? I'm confused...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Hi everybody,

Let's start with a little about me. My name is AJ I am 25, I grew up in Michigan and recently got married. I have lived in Orange County, CA for the last 2 1/2 years and I am considering to NC. I love So Cal but I do miss rivers, lakes and forests that we had in MI. I have never been to NC but am planning a trip and have always wanted to live there.

I will miss the perfect weather in So Cal and being 5 minutes from beautiful beaches but I think the tradeoff is OK.

I work from home, I am conservative, christian, active, love hiking, mountain biking, working out, beaches, I have a dog. Nice resurants and movie theaters are a must. Random stuff I know.

I hope this helped getting to know me a bit. I appreciate any feedback you can give me! If you were me where would you move to in NC?

Thanks!!
There are better places for hiking and biking. It's too hot here to be active outdoors for most of the long summer.

Maybe Boone?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM

82 posts, read 167,367 times
Quote:
Hi everybody,

Thanks!!
--- Perhaps check out Randolph County area ! It's 2 to 3 hours away from coast and major western NC mountains. We have had many easy to do and fun day trips throughout raising our 2 boys.-- Due to the Uwharrie chain of mountains that pass thru our county, we also have hidden waterfalls,lakes,and streams. The one post spoke of the warm temps of water, but if you and your family enjoy getting out, hiking, cycling, etc. , when you explore and research Randolph County, you will find mineral springs and underground river outlets that are nothing but cool temp clear waters.--- You could chose to live in smaller city of Asheboro, which has been going thru revitalization, Or perhaps check out High Point and Greensboro (which is in neighboring Guilford County). It all of course , depends on where you start from, but those locations would put your family about 30 to 50 minutes away from Uwharrie mtns and yet have conviences of bigger city comforts. -- Both these areas have a good concentration of churches. Regardless of your personal beliefs, I should guess that you would have no problem finding a great church to Worship God. And good Christian friends.-- On a personal note, We are also having to relocate (to florida)due to my husbands promotion.-- I wish you and your family well. I feel good old-fashioned southern hospitality is still available in this area !

Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Also a MI native here. If fresh water is your cup of tea, NC may disappoint. The lakes here are man-made (mostly) and not the same as what you find in MI. Also, come summer, many of the lakes are like swimming in a hot tub - not refreshing. NC does have some great outdoors areas and beautiful forests.
Ex-Michiganders as well--Detroit area. You will want to be near the ocean or the mountains. There is about a 300-400 mile gap between the two. What is more important--hiking or ocean?

Hiking would lead you to Western NOrth Carolina and the mountains. I would visit west of Ashville in Transylvania County--and places like Brevard, Waynesville and Sylva (seems to be a large hiking and kayaking crowd there) Also the Appalachian Trail is nearby. It is nearly impossible to have both quality hiking and water in the same area. The eastern area is flat and has limited hiking in wooded areas. The western part does have quite a few waterfalls. As beautiful as it is here in NC, if you are set on a Michigan setting, this will not be up to your expectations. It is different here, in its own good way, from the northern hardwoods and forests.

As for theaters and resturants, theaters can be found in major cities like Asheville in the west. Resturants ..lets just say that is a matter of individual taste...we tend to avoid the chains and franchise style eateries...

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
There are better places for hiking and biking. It's too hot here to be active outdoors for most of the long summer.
Can you tell me what "hot" is in NC? I currently live in Texas and am contemplating a move to NC next year when I finish my master's. The 90s here is comfortable for us - wondering if it's the same there.

I was there for a bit last year in Fall and was told the rainy weather was not typical.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Can you tell me what "hot" is in NC? I currently live in Texas and am contemplating a move to NC next year when I finish my master's. The 90s here is comfortable for us - wondering if it's the same there.

I was there for a bit last year in Fall and was told the rainy weather was not typical.
If you want numbers, check the city-data city pages for cities you're interested in. If you want opinions, do a search in this forum or the Raleigh sub-forum. I've never lived in Texas, so I can't really compare it. I have lived in Los Angeles County (near OP), so I can compare it to California heat - and it's much worse.

OP, if you have perfect weather, why do you want to leave? What isn't perfect now? Perfect weather, beaches, mountains for hiking. (Is it the smog? Too crowded? Housing too expensive?)

Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post

As they say--IT AIN'T THE HEAT, IT'S THE HUMIDITY!!

Summers are 90s and up...humidity can be 95% and up....standing outside watching the grass grow or the paint dry and in all of 5 minutes your clothes are soaked. When I came down in 2009 the first thing I learned was if it gets wet outside, it won't dry...not completely true as long as it is in the sun anyways. In the shade is a different story.

After 3 years, I have seen it RAIN every fall. Something to do with hurricane season (August through october) I have been told. It rains hard for 10-15 minutes, sometimes all day if the hurricane is close enough and stops. The sun come out a bit and humidity soars to 110%. Later it rains some more and the cycle can go on for hours sometimes. Other times it doesn't rain for days or weeks at a time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina