Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 22,505 times

Advertisements

So here goes, this is going to be complicated.

I'll start by saying that I am active duty Marine Corps stationed at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. I am going to purchase a car next Saturday, which I want to register in Tennessee, where I am from, and where my license is from.

Now with that said, let's begin with the long list of problems:

#1. The car is in Hollywood, Florida. I have a plane ticket down there, and was planning on driving it back to Camp Lejeune. What do I do about a license plate for the trip from FL to NC? That's a 13 hour drive.

#2. How do I get the car on base (where I live) Saturday night? They require proof of insurance (which I will have, State farm already worked this out with me), and my vehicle registration to get even a temporary pass.

#3. I do not have a chance to take the car to Tennessee until October...what do I do in the mean-time about registration?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Have you contacted the Tennessee DMV?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasbroderick View Post
I am going to purchase a car which I want to register in Tennessee...
Now with that said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son
Have you contacted the Tennessee DMV?
What he said.
---

Quote:
What do I do about a license plate for the trip from FL to NC?
You wait until Monday AM then visit a FL DMV office for a FL DMV Temporary/Transit Registration & Plate.

Quote:
get the car on base... They require proof of insurance and my vehicle registration to get even a temporary pass.
With that same Temporary/Transit Registration & Plate you got from the FL DMV.

Quote:
what do I do in the mean-time about registration?
Whatever TN says to do.

But you MIGHT be able to get by with the FL Temporary for longer than 30 days...
last one I did (from a dealer there) I had an option for a second tag or 90 days.

hth

Old 09-11-2011, 08:58 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Find out if you can get a FL temp plate. I once purchased a vehicle in OH that was being driven back to MI and I was licensed in MI. A quick trip to the OH DMV -- I provided proof of the purchase and requested a temp plate. They issued me a 30 day temp so that I could drive the vehicle back to MI.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 AM

The thing about getting a Florida Temp plate is that I cannot stay until Monday. I have to be back for formation in North Carolina Monday morning, and every DMV i've searched for near where the purchase will be made in FL is closed saturday and sunday.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Sounds like you're in quite the pickle then.

Are you buying from a dealer or private seller?

You could check to see if the seller is willing to acquire a temp plate on your behalf. Dealerships have this ability. Or, take a HUGE risk and put a valid TN plate on the car, then drive the speed limit so you aren't a target - and make sure you have a signed (preferrable notarized) bill of sale with you. But, you still wouldn't be able to get it on base, and for that, you may have to check out local storage facilities for you to park it in until you can get the registration sorted out.

Acquiring registration ... Depends on TN's DMV rules. Some states will issue a plate and register a vehicle via mail, but you have to give it time to be processed. You won't be able to do this until the vehicle is in your possession, but you could start the process once back in NC if TN allows it.

Otherwise, if you postponed by a week for the 24th, you could meet the FL DMV mobile unit in Orlando for a temp plate, you'd have to be in Orlando before 4pm: http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/FLOW.htm

Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM

It is private seller, and I could ask if he'd get a temporary plate on my behalf.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasbroderick View Post
The thing about getting a Florida Temp plate is that I cannot stay until Monday.
That's why I mentioned it specifically.

If you're buying from a dealer...
they might be able to do the paperwork in house.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
hmmmm...like has been mentioned try the FL dmv for a temp license? Does TN have inspection? I am thinking outside the box and maybe a bit of a legal stretch--Mail the title to a family member and have it titled and registered? Not saying it is the best idea..

We purchased a 5th wheel travel trailer in Orange City and hauled it back without plates...may be we were lucky?
I believe most juristictions allow IMMEDIATE travel from point of purchase to residence? Wisconsin used to have the LAF plate--a piece of cardboard with the word LAF in capital blod marke--LICENSE APPLIED FOR...

If you do not need the car on base, can you store it off base at a trusted location or storage facility?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
hmmmm...like has been mentioned try the FL dmv for a temp license? Does TN have inspection? I am thinking outside the box and maybe a bit of a legal stretch--Mail the title to a family member and have it titled and registered? Not saying it is the best idea..

We purchased a 5th wheel travel trailer in Orange City and hauled it back without plates...may be we were lucky?
I believe most juristictions allow IMMEDIATE travel from point of purchase to residence? Wisconsin used to have the LAF plate--a piece of cardboard with the word LAF in capital blod marke--LICENSE APPLIED FOR...

If you do not need the car on base, can you store it off base at a trusted location or storage facility?
FL dmv will be closed when I am there, unless I can get the current owner to get a temp tag for me. TN does not have inspections. I have considered putting the title in both mine and my mother's name so that I can mail it to her and she can register it for me there.

I need the car on base, because there is no real trusted location or (free) storage facility that I can use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina