Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 PM

38 posts, read 245,824 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me: What’s up with so many abandon cars on the roads and highways? There are so many. Also what the white rag or bag that is hanged from the car, What it means? How about the sticker with a number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 06:33 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
I was wondering the same thing! It looks like some more AAA memberships are needed.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
The white rag means the car broke down/ran out of gas and was abandoned by the driver temporarily. The sticker with the number means that law enforcement marked the vehicle as abandoned (whether there is a white rag or not) and they have a certain numbers of days to get it towed themselves or else the car will be towed by the city and impounded.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I was wondering the same thing! It looks like some more AAA memberships are needed.
The white rag/bag lets folks know that the car has a problem and someone will return to it, it's not abandoned.

Also AAA around here is a joke...to say the least. My car ran into trouble on 98 a year or so ago. It was over a 7 hour wait to get a tow truck through them....after being on hold for over an hour in the first place.

My husband came and got me, we left the car overnight (yes, with a white cloth hanging out) and arranged a private tow the next morning. There was no bloody way I was hanging out there for over 8 hours!!

Yes, I did notice more cars on the side of the road down here when we first moved as well. It's regional and I am sure there are plenty of reasons for it....but what all of them are, I do not know.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:49 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Every time we go on a highway there is always at least one car abandoned by the side of the road. Very strange.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,442 times
Disposable cars. We had a friend that abandoned two cars on the highway. They cost him about 500 bucks to begin with and then they broke down, so he just left them.

Also, you'll see more of these on Sunday morning, from when people got arrested from their cars for DUIs the night before.

AAA has always responded quickly when I was in the Triangle. I think there must be more AAA tow companies here than outside the major areas. Hwy 98 is Wake Forest, right?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:01 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,441 times
Hey, at least there are still intact and not stripped!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Disposable cars. We had a friend that abandoned two cars on the highway. They cost him about 500 bucks to begin with and then they broke down, so he just left them.

Also, you'll see more of these on Sunday morning, from when people got arrested from their cars for DUIs the night before.

AAA has always responded quickly when I was in the Triangle. I think there must be more AAA tow companies here than outside the major areas. Hwy 98 is Wake Forest, right?
It's the main road between Wake Forest and Durham...it's not exactly out in the 'boonies'...certainly not judging from the traffic on it at rush hour.

This weekend I saw a Lexus RX on the side of the road....I doubt it was one of your friend's 'disposable' cars. I also believe that folks can be charged with abandoning a vehicle...who needs the fines and points?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Last summer on Jones Sausage Road in SE Raleigh there was this Ford Taurus that was abandoned and sitting off the road.....I don't think it had any door windows when it was first there, but it didn't have a rear one either after a while. It looked like it had been completely looted and trashed and it sat there halfway in a ditch for days. At least they sometimes clear the ones that are left in the middle of the road, since they're kind of dangerous at night when you can't see anything.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM

233 posts, read 860,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It's the main road between Wake Forest and Durham...it's not exactly out in the 'boonies'...certainly not judging from the traffic on it at rush hour.

This weekend I saw a Lexus RX on the side of the road....I doubt it was one of your friend's 'disposable' cars. I also believe that folks can be charged with abandoning a vehicle...who needs the fines and points?

I've had AAA both in New England and here for the last 18 years.. and never had a problem getting service, I can't say I've ever waited more than an hour or so. I've never heard of being fined for abandoning cars, MIL works for DMV, I'll ask her. I do know that once its towed, storage fees start to rack up and with junk cars, its just not worth paying to get it out. Tow company puts a mechanics lein on the title, and if its still not picked up and paid within 30 days, they can go file for the title and sell the car. DH had a friend who towed cars from shopping centers, etc... friends and family alike have scored a few decent cars for really cheap money through him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina