Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM

114 posts, read 327,149 times

Advertisements

If it happens, the tolls will never stop and only increase over time. I drive by the new tolls everyday and no one is ever on the roads, almost everyone avoids the toll roads.

This should definitely be an election issue, if either one of the candidates supports this issue they should definitely lose support. We need to stand up and let them know, just like people did with Bank of America, Verizon, and Netflix. People came together and showed how they were tired of being taxed and tolled on everything we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,498,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
I don't understand the priority for I-95. The traffic volumes aren't outstanding and the infrastructure is no older than many sections of I-40. The section from Statesville to Marion is full of old bridges with no shoulders, dilapidated overpasses, and short on-ramps from the 1950's. If safety is the priority, more lanes aren't going to stop people from falling asleep nine hours into their trip from New Jersey/Florida.

Also, can't we connect Asheville, Charlotte and Wilmington with a continuous freeway first?

I guess our bigwig eastern legislators from the booming towns of Lumberton, Dunn and Selma don't go past Raleigh.
Well I-95 is pretty substandard throughout its entire length in NC. Bridges with low clearances, heavy congestion, outdated interchanges and all. The highway hasn't been upgraded at all since it was first built.

The reason NC has ignored it for so long is because most of the traffic is from out of state travelers going between Florida and the Northeast.

I'm not big on tolls but in the case of I-95 I completely agree that it should be tolled throughout NC to pay for upgrades. The Northeast-Florida commuters are the ones who use it the most by far, they're also the ones who complain about it the most. Let them pay for it to be 6 lanes. Otherwise leave it as is and just upgrade the highways that NC residents use.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
I've driven FL->NH multiple, multiple, multiple times before moving to NC. I once did FL->NH->FL in 6 days. There is nothing wrong with the I95 in NC. It's fine. Especially for $20. They're on crack.

Maybe they're opening with $20, and if it's settled at $5 they can point out how well they negotiated it down?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Lets toll every road, then. Drive out of your neighborhood? $.15. To the grocery store? $.75. Need to see the doctor? That will be $1.25 - each way.

I can understand the gas tax not covering the full cost of road maintenance. But my point is, why are some roads free while others are tolled? It doesn't seem fair for those who use the toll roads to pay for the maintenance of the "free" roads while paying tolls to cover the cost of the roads they are using.

Isn't this a possibility? Well actually the mileage tax proposal...We all get GPS and everytime we fuel up the pump reads the GPS and adds the appropriate tax to our fuel purchase?

Big wheels keep on turning.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,359,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I'm not big on tolls but in the case of I-95 I completely agree that it should be tolled throughout NC to pay for upgrades. The Northeast-Florida commuters are the ones who use it the most by far, they're also the ones who complain about it the most. Let them pay for it to be 6 lanes. Otherwise leave it as is and just upgrade the highways that NC residents use.
The only problem here is that Northeast-Florida commuters can EASILY take I-81 to I-77 then hit I-26 down to I-95; a move many will take just to avoid the $20 tolls. Also, I-26/I-77/I-85 is only 45 minutes or so longer and will get folks around I-95 in North Carolina (they will leave I-95 in SC and re-enter in VA; thus losing 45 mins to an hour while saving $20 dollars). Honestly though, they'll actually only save $15 dollars or so due to the higher miles/gas; but most won't see it that way. Many folks go out of their way to avoid tolls because they simply don't agree with them. IMO, this idea will only make I-77 thru-traffic in Charlotte (and I-85 thru-traffic in other areas) worse.

If there wasn't a fairly decent alternate route, then I would say go for it. However, there are more than a few ways from the Northeast to Florida (and if they're not on I-95, then that means they're here in Charlotte making our traffic problems worse).

Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
i think it is a good idea to charge all those yankees driving between Miami and NYC. $50 or $100 sounds fair to me.

Also, I say we discriminate by state, and give NC residents a free pass.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,268,304 times
Didn't I read they were gonna put 20 toll stations over the 180 miles. So every 9 to 10 miles? That will hopefully help keep down the cost for local drivers.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,197,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i think it is a good idea to charge all those yankees driving between Miami and NYC. $50 or $100 sounds fair to me.

Also, I say we discriminate by state, and give NC residents a free pass.
This plus charge a cut of the profits from all the drug mules who use 95 to get their toot from Miami to NYC.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Before you know it, the state will be tolling all major highways (540, 40, etc) to so call cover the costs of improvements. It's a scam!
In addition to raising the tax on gasoline again and again until we are no longer #3, but #1

Old 01-24-2012, 12:13 PM

130 posts, read 362,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well you made your point obvious, but just in case others didn't get it, it's much more politically amenable to charge the people on 95 because they tend to be out of stater's just transposing your state. Like that bridge in Delaware that charges an obscene amount of money just to drive across it. You know as well as I do that that bridge has been paid for 100 times over. Same with the GWB in NYC, what's it up to now, $6?

$6? try $12 (without an EZ pass). $9.60 w/ EZ pass. Yeah... it's a NY/NJ scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina