Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,521,093 times

Advertisements

Well, it's mid January and my perennials are still green and some even have small flowers on them! With temps sometimes in the sixties I wonder if we will have a 'real' winter. I'm not really complaining but commenting.. uh, though I wish it would get cold enough to kill the bugs. Found a mosquito in the house yesterday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM

117 posts, read 246,931 times
I won't get to settled in. While Jan. was above average, Feb. is expected to be below average. Feb. will churn out some snow. It may not be much but next month will be the month to look for the white stuff.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Would LOVE to see some snow. We rarely get it around here though the last couple of years have been decent.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,810 times
Im ready for spring. I do love the fact that I can wear shorts in January though.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 33,055 times
I am thinking on moving to North Carolina because the weather is so much nicer than where I currently live. As of right now, it is -25, the winds are blowing, my car swore at me when I tried to start it today (I live in Northern Minnesota) so I am kind of curious about what a normal winter is like for those in North Carolina. How cold does it normally get? How often do you get snow?

I see that someone posted about wearing shorts in January and that sounds lovely to me. We are lucky here if we can do flip flops in October - with jeans.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM

NC is typically in the subtropical region so it gets hot here in the summer and winters are generally mild. Some areas of NC receive some snow others not so much. Generally speaking, the eastern half of the state receives less snow and middle to western part receive more. October in NC is usually quite nice with warm temps during the day and cooler at night although lately it seems the summer wants to linger on. And if you want to wear shorts during January well, it can be a chilly proposition providing we aren't experiencing warm temperatures.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM

42 posts, read 92,838 times
It wouldn't bother me none if it stayed like this until spring. I can't stand it to be real cold. I like it best during the spring and fall when it's about 70-75 during the day and around 50 at night. Also, if I never see another flake of snow fall it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 33,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
It wouldn't bother me none if it stayed like this until spring. I can't stand it to be real cold. I like it best during the spring and fall when it's about 70-75 during the day and around 50 at night. Also, if I never see another flake of snow fall it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
This is exactly how I feel.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt:) View Post
I am thinking on moving to North Carolina because the weather is so much nicer than where I currently live. As of right now, it is -25, the winds are blowing, my car swore at me when I tried to start it today (I live in Northern Minnesota) so I am kind of curious about what a normal winter is like for those in North Carolina. How cold does it normally get? How often do you get snow?

I see that someone posted about wearing shorts in January and that sounds lovely to me. We are lucky here if we can do flip flops in October - with jeans.
This is, as the OP said, not a typical winter. Shorts in January is NOT the norm! While we don't get a lot of snow like up North, we DO get winters and do get a few inches of snow--which will cause much more of a problem here than they do where you are, because we have way less in the way of snow-removal equipment. So kids miss a day of school for 1-2", which you will find laughable (but please don't be a "rude transplant" and go on and on about that--we've heard it all before. We simply don't have the need to have the number of snow plows that northern climates do, and we like having lower taxes not having to maintain so many).

You can't really say "what winter is like for North Carolina" because the state is gso diverse geographically. We have mountains which, of course, get more snow, and we have coasts which, of course, get less. Here are the City-Data pages for Asheville (mountains), Burlington (middle of the state), and Wilmington (coast) which you can compare. Scroll down about 1/3 of the way for the climate data.

Note that the tradeoff is that our summers are long, hot, and humid.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
As Francois noted, NC is much too large to have a single climate. The most important single influence contributing to the variability of North Carolina climate is altitude. The range of altitude is also the greatest of any state east of the Mississippi River, ranging from sea level along the Atlantic coast to 6,684 feet at the summit of Mount Mitchell, the highest peak in the eastern United States.

In all seasons of the year, the average temperature varies more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit (° F) from the lower coast to the highest elevations. The average annual temperature at Southport on the lower coast is nearly as high as that of interior northern Florida, while the average on the summit of Mount Mitchell is lower than that of Buffalo, New York.

Average winter snowfall over the State ranges from about inch per year on the Outer Banks and along the lower coast to about 10 inches in the northern Piedmont and 16 inches in the southern Mountains. Some of the higher mountain peaks and upper slopes receive an average of nearly 50 inches a year.

National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina

http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/his...orical_nc.html

Last edited by mm34b; 01-19-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina