Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 PM

36 posts, read 164,481 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am a RN currently working/living in San Antonio TX. I am considering a move to NC. I am currently employed by the VA Hospital and make btwn $ 70-75K annually and have great benefits.

I have considered a transfer to a VA hospital in NC but would really like to live in Durham (yes, i have read every post on this site about Durham )

I know the VA hospital pays less than here b/c a former colleague just accepted a position at a VA in NC. However, he is a 2 income family and I am a one income family with a child < 5years old.

I am really interested in DUKE, I have 15 years as an RN, ICU/PACU.
A lot of places will not quote salaries until you have gone through the entire application process and interview.

I have also considered applying for a position with the Army/AF hospitals but I don't want to live in Fayetteville.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:15 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinktomboy View Post
Hello.

I am a RN currently working/living in San Antonio TX. I am considering a move to NC. I am currently employed by the VA Hospital and make btwn $ 70-75K annually and have great benefits.

I have considered a transfer to a VA hospital in NC but would really like to live in Durham (yes, i have read every post on this site about Durham )

I know the VA hospital pays less than here b/c a former colleague just accepted a position at a VA in NC. However, he is a 2 income family and I am a one income family with a child < 5years old.

I am really interested in DUKE, I have 15 years as an RN, ICU/PACU.
A lot of places will not quote salaries until you have gone through the entire application process and interview.

I have also considered applying for a position with the Army/AF hospitals but I don't want to live in Fayetteville.

Thanks
Unfortunately, RN salaries are pretty low in the area. Starting salaries for new RNs are just a tad bit bit over $20/hr and the range is to about $32/hr (at Duke). That is excluding any weekend or shift differential. My husband and I both work at Duke, he's an RN, I'm an NP. He took about a 35% paycut coming here from the Northeast. I may be mistaken but I believe certain specialty areas such as critical care pay a bit higher. There is also a clinical ladder program, another way to bump up your salary. The VAMC pays a bit higher than Duke. My husband formerly worked for the VA system in RI....initially wanted to transfer to the VA in Durham but when we moved (almost 16 months ago), there were no positions. He has since found several openings but decided he is happy at Duke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina